Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th March 2017, 07:14 PM
TablePC Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Using XHOST and XAUTH to enable application under Wayland

In another thread I got help trying different approaches to enabling some of the applications I need to run under F25 Wayland, but they use things in the root structure. So they won't start

One suggestion I got was to use:

Code:
xhost +
That opens up everything and the lshw-gui and usbview would run after that. I thought it might be a bit risky to have everything open. After I read the Xhost man pages and found a couple of things on the web I tried:

Code:
xhost +SI:localuser:root
That produces that same good result, but I'm wondering how risky this is. Also I found that after a restart the above must be repeated; so I guess it doesn't persist. Is this a risky solution?

I was also advised to learn about the .xauthority file. I think that if I can implement a solution in an .xauthority file, it will probably persist over restarts. I found the man pages for XAUTH, but after I read them I still had no idea how to establish the file or exactly what to put in it. I searched the web; even at x.org and didn't find anything that seemed like it would help.

Also while I was poking around I found that there are no .xauthority files on the PC; so I guess they aren't created at install. I did find, however, a .ICEauthority file in my home directory. Is this or has this already replaced the .xauthority file so I should focus on this instead of the .xauthority file?

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.
Old 19th March 2017, 08:48 PM
srakitnican Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Using XHOST and XAUTH to enable application under Wayland

My suggestion is to file bug reports and see what devs have to tell about it. Since Greg tells that there is nothing wrong with application, I guess then it is a Fedora specific configuration bug because installed applications should work out of the box.

In the case of usbview, It need to read /sys/kernel/debug/ which is only readable by root user. So it either needs to be run as root user, or directory permissions needs to be changed, there is no way around that as far as I can tell.

You could make a workaround script which could pre-set the environment in order for usbview to run. Something like this for example.

Code:
$ su -c 'cat <<EOF> /usr/local/bin/usbview
#!/bin/sh

sudo chmod go+rx /sys/kernel/debug
/usr/bin/usbview
sudo chmod go-rx /sys/kernel/debug
EOF
chmod +x /usr/local/bin/usbview'
Old 21st March 2017, 03:00 PM
TablePC Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Using XHOST and XAUTH to enable application under Wayland

Thanks for the script. Now I have two workarounds for this in my kit. I'm still fumbling around learning the command line and there are some elements of this I haven't seen before; so I'll take this as a learning opportunity to figure out the details.

I think I'll wait on the bug reports. I imagine the folks working on Wayland related things have plenty to work on right now. I'll look forward to F26.

Thanks again; I appreciate your help.

Tags
application, enable, usint, wayland, xauth, xhost