Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 16th March 2017, 07:16 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxchrome
Ryzen 4,5,6 cpu prices and performance announced

The prices start at $169 for the 1400 and slightly more for the 1500x. See below. It looks like the motherboard may cost more than any of these CPUs.
Recommended was for all systems to use 2900+ ddr4 memory speed. That memory speed gives a 30% boost over the 2300+ddr4 memory speed.

I know that the benchmark tests we have seen used games.
My ideal benchmark would be a measure of power consumption against the time it takes to recompile a kernel or other large system.

AMD Announces Ryzen 5 Processors;
$169 Four-Cores And
$219 Six-Cores;
AMD Confirms 2+2 Alignment

From the sales chart

Ryzen 5 1600X $249
Ryzen 5 1600 $219
Ryzen 5 1500X $189
Ryzen 5 1400 $169

Ryzen 7 1800X $499
Ryzen 7 1700X $399
Ryzen 7 1700 $329

Article is here AMD will have the Ryzen 5 processors on store shelves April 11,

I am enthusiastic, because, like many members of fedoraforum, a large number of us are 65+. We are looking for a system to last 5 years before we again upgrade. And we are looking for affordability versus performance.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 17th March 2017 at 02:33 AM.
Old 17th March 2017, 10:41 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Ryzen 4,5,6 cpu prices and performance announced

It's not just over 65s that want systems to last at least 5 years between upgrades. I usually run mine into the ground so when building them try to fit components I believe will be efficient and robust enough.

Of the Ryzen range the one that interests me the most is the 8-core 1700X. I reckon it is the best bang for buck. The 1800X is desirable but there's only 200Mhz difference in AMD's reference clock speeds. They are both unlocked so the saved money could be put to better use balancing out the system build elsewhere.
Old 17th March 2017, 01:34 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I am excited, you guys convinced me to wait and do a full upgrade instead of patching my 5 year old Mobo.

My new Desktop PC will have probably a 6 core (never seen that, so I am curious), 16gb ram in 2 sticks of 8 (I am very conservative when it comes to ram, like everything to be small and efficient), and a good NVIDIA card, most probably a GTX 770, as the price is really good atm.
Only issue is my 2 monitors, both 23" Asus , will have to stay for a while until next Xmas hehe, but my plan is 2x27" , my Ergotron supports it.
Old 17th March 2017, 04:01 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
It's not just over 65s that want systems to last at least 5 years between upgrades. I usually run mine into the ground so when building them try to fit components I believe will be efficient and robust enough.

Of the Ryzen range the one that interests me the most is the 8-core 1700X. I reckon it is the best bang for buck. The 1800X is desirable but there's only 200Mhz difference in AMD's reference clock speeds. They are both unlocked so the saved money could be put to better use balancing out the system build elsewhere.

Regarding the 1700x, great minds think alike, small minds seldom differ. Ryzen it is.

I am budgeting for the 1600x with 16gig of high-speed ddr4 ram along with one internal SSD. If there is a ready made system at a competitive price to rolling one's own, I will give the off the shelf system some serious thoughts. HERE IS A VIDEO ABOUT THE 5 Series

A local System's shop business is where they do bulk buying and sell at a competitive prices.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 17th March 2017 at 06:26 PM. Reason: More info.