Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th March 2017, 05:33 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox
How to reinstall grub efi in Fedora 25?

Could somebody post the exact process to reinstall grub2 in efi mode with Fedora Workstation Live 25. It appears the Fedora documentation is outdated. Jonathon

Code:
efibootmgr -v
Code:
Boot0006* CentOS Linux	HD(1,800,fa000,151d4f3a-c986-4e62-9be8-bf9909782cc3)File(\EFI\CENTOS\SHIM.EFI)
Boot0008* UEFI: DRW-24D3ST	ACPI(a0341d0,0)PCI(1f,2)SATA(0,ffff,0)CD-ROM(1,598a,2990)AMBO
Boot0009* Fedora	HD(1,800,fa000,151d4f3a-c986-4e62-9be8-bf9909782cc3)File(\EFI\FEDORA\SHIM.EFI)
After installing Centos i can no longer boot Fedora even though the name Fedora shows in the EFI boot loader menu (gigabtye motherboard).

When i select Fedora in the EFI boot menu, grub for Centos 7 appears instead.

EDIT
i posted the solution here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...54&postcount=1

Last edited by jonathonp; 16th March 2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 16th March 2017, 06:35 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: How to reinstall grub efi in Fedora 25?

What Fedora documentation are you reading?

For one, the Fedora documentation specifically states that you should NOT run grub2-install on uEFI. It appears from your steps above, you followed the documentation to install on a BIOS system instead of uEFI.

Look at the docs here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2

And scroll down to the section Updating GRUB 2 configuration on UEFI systems

That should give you a starting point.
Old 16th March 2017, 08:37 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

This "UEFI" thing is yet another step backwards in the evolution of humanity. LOL
Old 16th March 2017, 04:06 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx001 View Post
This "UEFI" thing is yet another step backwards in the evolution of humanity. LOL
There are some things about uEFI that I still am not comfortable with. Like the ability to change the hook for the uefi bootloader exit to point to anything you wish, then change it back once your code executes. You could conceivably insert your own malicious code into the boot process, even on a secure boot machine. Simply save the original pointer to the boot exit module. Change the pointer to point to your code. boot... your code executes, and in when your code ends, you simply jump to where the original pointer was pointing to, You could execute pretty much any code you wanted to before uEFI hands off to the OS. And yes, the boot exit pointer is easily accessed by anyone with physical access to the machine. It isn't protected in any way.

Yes, there are limitations and flaws in BIOS booting, but there are also limitations and flaws in uEFI... So, it's a toss up.
Old 17th March 2017, 02:03 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

For quite a number of years i used bootitbaremetall https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/do...bare-metal.htm as a 3rd party boot loader which never failed me once. I installed grub on the boot or root partition for each linux installation which was reliable and easy to manage.

As for installing grub on a boot partition which fedora recommends not to do as it is supposed to be unreliable, i think that point is totally unfounded from my experience.

Are UEFI systems reliable? i guess it depends on how the motherboard manufacturer implemented the system although i believe there is no actual standard.

Where are the options in the bios to tweak the boot loader apart from determining which system is the default? There appears to be a lack of effort from the motherboard manufactures. The security issues raised by DBelton are also a concern too.

In conclusion I have decided to move with the times and upgrade my installation setups with uefi enabled on my PC and the newer laptop. Thanks for the help Dbelton. You gave me the enthusiasm to give it another go without having to reinstall the system.

Last edited by jonathonp; 17th March 2017 at 02:58 AM.
Old 17th March 2017, 07:22 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

There are standards for uEFI. It's not up to the motherboard manufacturer, although there are some parts of the standards that are optional, etc...

You can check out the standards for uEFI here:

http://www.uefi.org/specifications

I have found uEFI to be fairly reliable. I believe a lot of the issues currently is that there still is a big mix of BIOS and uEFI machines, so it's hard to do some things that work the same on either system.

And if your system is uEFI.. then there is no such thing is booting with BIOS. There is no BIOS there is compatibility mode on some, but it's still booting uEFI. It just tricks the bootloader/OS into thinking it a BIOS system.
Old 17th March 2017, 10:15 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

One of my systems has a very early implementation of UEFI firmware, it looks nice with the 'UEF| BIOS Utility' graphical screens to configure the mainboard and tweak performance with but it really is frankenfirmware. it will seemingly not recognise connected devices if the settings below aren't used. It's counter intuitive to set them that way but it's the only way it works or the system freezes on the post screen. There's no error message either if I hide the logo screen. I have to power down the system and reset the firmware using the jumper switch.

Hardware - ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3
CPU - air cooled i3-3240 marginally overclocked to 3515MHz
RAM - 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 at 1648MHz
GPU - ASUS STRIX GTX960 2GB GDDR5 OC using their GPU Utility's overclocking profile at 1317Mhz
LAN - Killer Networks Xeno Pro

I have to use:
PCI ROM Priority - Legacy ROM
Option ROM Messages - Force BIOS

The OS is installed in UEFI mode with the storage controller in AHCI configuration. I use this rig for gaming. I have an OCZ 240GB SSD for the system files and programs and an 1TB WD HDD for data. It's nothing overly fancy but it suits my needs.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 17th March 2017, 04:37 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera
One of my systems has a very early implementation of UEFI firmware, it looks nice with the 'UEF| BIOS Utility' graphical screens to configure the mainboard and tweak performance with but it really is frankenfirmware.
Even more frankenfirmware than yours, my now aging Asrock P67 Pro3 MB (my desktop/gamong PC) has a "UEFI Setup Utility" for configuring the bios. Yes, nifty graphical environment with mouse support bios configuration, just like "real" UEFI. But that's all. It has no uefi mode to install an operating system into, only old MBR BIOS. So its UEFI capabilities are limited strictly to the bios configuration and the "Asrock Instant Flash" utility that's part of the UEFI "firmware".

Tags
efi, fedora, grub, reinstall