Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th March 2017, 08:47 PM
Ahk1N2 Offline

macoschrome
Install Fedora with Ubuntu

I currently have a MacPro running Ubuntu. I want to install Fedora along side it, as a multiple boot. This is not a question about the Ubuntu side, it's about Fedora.

Currently the 1 Tb disk is formatted for Ubuntu, with Ubuntu taking up about 150 Gb. I was planning to resize that partition to about 500 Gb, leaving the swap and boot partitions in place. The remaining space on the disk I was planning to partition as ext4. My questions:

Will Fedora reformat the partition as lvm?
Will Fedora use the same swap partition and boot?
Is there anything else I should know before I do this?

There are threads in the Ubuntu forum for updating grub to see both installs, and I'm not looking for that information.

Thanks.

Old 15th March 2017, 01:17 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Install Fedora with Ubuntu

Fedora does use LVM by default using the installation media. You can alter that by choosing the custom partitioning option in the installer and choosing standard partitions. Fedora will identify the swap partition and you may need to check that it has the correct UUID in /etc/fstab in the fedora installation or you may have boot problems.
Old 15th March 2017, 08:14 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
choosing the custom partitioning option in the installer
is the Key. and yes, Fedora's disk partitioning tool is nice enough to leave other stuff untouched.
And IMHO, never use LVM, else it will come back to bite you when you least expect it !
Old 15th March 2017, 03:32 PM
Ahk1N2 Offline

macoschrome

Thanks for the replies @nsmbm and @bobx001. @bobx001 you are the second person to advise against LVM. The other person was on an Ubuntu forum. That is important information. I will definitely research this more before I plow ahead.
Old 15th March 2017, 06:03 PM
PatMcLJr Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

maybe just a different opinion, yes, use LVM, even encrypted LVM so that when you finally do dump Windows or want to graft a partition onto your fedora / or /home it's fairly easy without a lot of symlinking and juggling
Pat Jr.
Old 18th March 2017, 02:16 PM
Ahk1N2 Offline

macosfirefox

Thanks all for your valuable input. I'm on a linux learning curve here by going to dual boot, and I value all opinions.

If I could ask one more question, how would you expect the dual boot system to work with Ubuntu as the first install and Fedora as the second? Specifically, when the system boots, will it default to Fedora with no option to choose? Default to Ubuntu? Or will I get a brief period (10 seconds?) to choose the OS? As I said, I'm trying to guess any potential problems so that I can research and have possible solutions. The last thing I want is a system where I am locked out.

BTW (and this is all seriousness) I started off with Fedora a while ago (2010?) but did not understand enough linux or have enough time to learn. I used it again a few years ago, but, again, ran into some issues that prevented me doing what I wanted. I've just recently decided to go the dual boot road, so that I can use Ubuntu to continue what I have been doing, and learn more about Fedora, possibly switching to primarily Fedora in the future. That is why I am so interested in dual booting.

Tags
boot, fedora, install, swap, ubuntu