Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th February 2017, 10:06 AM
Yattatux Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
[Book] OpeN Writing On Fedora 25 - a useful tool

Hello friends,

I want to introduce you OpeN Writing On Fedora 25. It's a simple free-pdf book (or paperback) to know and Fedora 25 and writing with open source tools. It may useful for author, blogger, or wiki editor.

You can download it for free here: https://app.box.com/v/openwritingonfedora25

Enjoy Fedora!

Last edited by Yattatux; 24th February 2017 at 05:05 AM.
Old 5th February 2017, 03:00 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: [Book] OpeN Writing On Fedora 25 - a useful tool

A good start as a book. IAccounts It reads well, and is geared to the first time Fedora user. It does need an English educated Editor to put some polish on it.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Last edited by lsatenstein; 5th February 2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 5th February 2017, 05:24 PM
Yattatux Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hello lsatenstein,
many thanks for your feedback
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:38 PM
Yattatux Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Many special thanks to lsatenstein, a very good editor.
We have improved OpeN Writing On Fedora 25, and now you can download it for free in the same link: https://app.box.com/v/openwritingonfedora25

If you like my free pdf book and you want to support me you can buy it in two edition

Enjoy Fedora

Last edited by Yattatux; 24th February 2017 at 05:02 AM. Reason: commercial links
Old 24th February 2017, 04:53 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

While personally I would love to allow you to post the links to purchase your book here, as an administrator on here, I can't allow it.

Would you please remove the links to purchase your book?

The links to your free ebook are fine, but the links to amazon and createspace need to be removed.

This is clearly against the Fedora Forum posting rules, specifically #4

Quote:
4). Don't advertise in threads or posts.
Threads, posts, signatures & home pages are not to be used to advertise a product. Links to other sites that sell products also may be considered advertising. With prior staff approval, some non-commercial forms of publicity may be allowed. Always check with a staff member before posting such content.
Please read the rules at http://www.fedoraforum.org/?view=guide

I almost hate to even say anything about this as I personally would love to see you sell a lot of your books, but there are rules for a reason.

I will give you a chance to remove the links yourself before doing anything more on this.
Old 24th February 2017, 05:04 AM
Yattatux Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Hi DBelton, you are right. I'm very sorry for commercial links. I've removed them.
Old 24th February 2017, 05:44 AM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Thank you

I really did hate to have you remove the links as it's rare that someone puts forth the time and effort to write books on using Fedora, and I would love to see you compensated for your time and effort.
Old 24th February 2017, 12:40 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Perhaps in this particular case, an exception should be made? If it were Michael Jang or Chris Negus posting, I suspect it would be allowed. (I haven't viewed the book, I'm afraid, but if a few members have and feel that it's good, then I think it's probably worth the mods discussing it.)

On the other hand, it's easy to view from the sidelines and say, Ya ought do this.
Old 24th February 2017, 01:01 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

There are some other factors involved other than just the admins discussing it, and voting to allow it.

In my opinion, it might indeed be worth discussing, but I believe the answer would be the same, mainly due to those outside factors involved.

However (hint...hint...) If someone on here is interested in purchasing this book, there really is nothing wrong with sending a PM to Yattatux and asking him where to purchase it. And there would be nothing wrong with him sending a link to the person requesting it in a PM. (the PM system is out of reach of those outside factors )

Also, I was pretty lenient (I think) and let him keep the link to his homepage in his signature. He could utilize that as well (just don't really advertise the fact on here) by having instructions to purchase the book there.
Old 24th February 2017, 01:43 PM
ocratato Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Also, I was pretty lenient (I think) and let him keep the link to his homepage in his signature. He could utilize that as well (just don't really advertise the fact on here) by having instructions to purchase the book there.
The free pdf itself has a page advertising the books, so I don't think more needs to be done.

It does look like a very nice guide for setting up Fedora for use as a "writers bench".
My only concern is that it will get out of date quite quickly.
Old 24th February 2017, 01:59 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocratato View Post
The free pdf itself has a page advertising the books, so I don't think more needs to be done.

It does look like a very nice guide for setting up Fedora for use as a "writers bench".
My only concern is that it will get out of date quite quickly.
That has always been a problem with books written for Fedora.

The "bleeding edge" development of Fedora actually works against itself in this area. Not many people wish to put forth the effort to write a book that might be obsolete in six months.
Old 24th February 2017, 02:45 PM
Yattatux Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton
I would love to see you compensated for your time and effort.
I'd love too

I've edited my signature I want to stay in the forum's rules.

I don't think this book will be obsolete quickly, not all its parts. The first part describes the installation of Fedora 25 and, yes, it's useful for only Fedora 25. The other part (over crative writing process) will be useful for more time: I've used most of that software since Fedora 21 or 22. Fedora is fast, but a lot of software has the same functionality for a long time.

Commercial link: DBelton thanks for giving me the chance to remove the links. I get the problem, however thanks to smr54 too

I love Fedora and I love people around the 'our' linux distribution.
I think books are very important for a 'distro'. It's a great point to see its 'status' and to involve other people.
I hope to write other Fedora's books in the future, and I hope to see many other publications about Fedora.