Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:20 PM
publius21 Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Getting Yum To Work in Fedora 14

I had an old install of Fedora 14 on the hard drives, tried to boot it, it hung, and so I decided to reinstall it. Yum doesn't work. I googled around and learned about changing the yum repo.d files to point to the archive server.

I edited the files but yum still fails with a "cannot get repository metadata (repomd.xml)" error.

I googled that but it wasn't too much help -- I saw something about certificate errors and tried to access the "mirrors.fedora.org" site in firefox (the version that came stock with F14) and it fails with cannot establish secure connection error.

I'm not much of an expert at all on this, and would appreciate any help on getting yum working.
Old 4th February 2017, 12:24 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Getting Yum To Work in Fedora 14

Well, most people are going to tell you to upgrade to Fedora 25.

Barring that, have a look here and see if you can apply what I've posted for older releases to your Fedora 14 install. I don't think I covered F14.

Meanwhile, since I have nothing better to do, I'm going to install F14 under VirtualBox and see what I can do with the repositories.
Old 4th February 2017, 12:59 AM
publius21 Offline

Thanks. I've actually got a later version of Fedora, 20 I think, installed, and yum still worked with that when I booted it the other day, and I've got a live USB of F25 here which I was thinking about installing over that F20.

I know the older version aren't supported, and do not expect them to be of course, but I would like to get the old F14 to work with the last versions of everything for it. I really liked it.

I ran across something similar to the thread you linked last night -- in fact, I think that's where I learned about replacing the repo.d files with the correct archive urls.

Wait a minute, I don't think I commented out the "mirrorslist" entries.....is that it? I'll try that in the meantime.

Again, thanks for responding.
Old 4th February 2017, 03:38 AM
publius21 Offline

Well, that was the problem: I had failed to comment out the "mirrorslist" entry. Everything works now, including RPM Fusion for F14.
Old 4th February 2017, 12:15 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Here are the first 5 lines in my altered /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo file:

PHP Code:
name=Fedora $releasever $basearch
failovermethod
=priority
baseurl
=http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Fedora/$basearch/os/
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
#mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch 
Here are the first 5 lines in my altered /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo file:
PHP Code:
[updates]
name=Fedora $releasever $basearch Updates
failovermethod
=priority
baseurl
=http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
#mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch 
Working repositories:
PHP Code:
[gjohnson@localhost ~]$ yum repolist
Loaded plugins
langpacksprestorefresh-packagekit
Adding en_US to language 
list
repo id                                    repo name                                                      status
fedora                                     Fedora 14 
x86_64                                              2,683+83
rpmfusion
-free                             RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 Free                                      411
rpmfusion
-free-updates                     RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 Free Updates                            642
rpmfusion
-nonfree                          RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 Nonfree                                   181
rpmfusion
-nonfree-updates                  RPM Fusion for Fedora 14 Nonfree Updates                         282
updates                                    Fedora 14 
x86_64 Updates                                   9,881+101
repolist
[gjohnson@localhost ~]$ 
My Fedora 14 system is now fully updated, at least as fully updated as it will ever be.

And I just noticed that you've already solved your yum problems.

Tags
fedora, work, yum