Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 23rd August 2015, 09:35 PM
NgBUCKWANGS Offline

linuxchrome
Re: F22 Nvidia Guide Link

I ran into this same problem on F22 (the last time I used Fedora was v17). It's not as simple in F22 to just install akmod-nvidia, I had to install extra packages (I hate doing this, I can never remember it). But luckily for dnf history info, I got this back and is what I used to get it working

sudo dnf install akmod-nvidia.x86_64 kernel-devel gcc gcc-c++ vdpauinfo libva-vdpau-driver libva-utils xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686
Old 26th September 2015, 01:20 PM
Louisda16th Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

In the first step:

Code:
/sbin/lspci | grep VGA
I get,

Quote:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
However I do have a nVidia graphics card on my laptop (I have a Dell Vostro 14 3446). The output for lspci is the following:
Quote:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 0b)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 0b)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI #0 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev e4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev e4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev e4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev e4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller (rev 04)
06:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)
08:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev a1)
Can I still go ahead and install the nVidia driver using the steps given? Or do I need to do something to disable the Intel HD graphics controller (I don't mind the lower battery life if nVidia is running all the time)?
Old 26th September 2015, 09:47 PM
steelaworkn Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I gave up with the Nvidia driver for F22. I currently don't have the time to continue the battle. When I think I've got it, a kernel update comes along that botches the system. The only reliable driver is the default. And even that one needs some help to from a 3rd party Repo in order to play a few games (which is pretty rare for me).

But all that into account, Fedora is still my daily driver.

Intel DP35DP MB; Nvidia 440 2 gig Video Card; 8 gigs of ram; Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83 gig; Hp Officejet Pro L7580; LVM F23 64bit using 2 320g HDs and dual monitors.
Old 26th September 2015, 11:02 PM
NgBUCKWANGS Offline

linuxchrome

This comment http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...5&postcount=16
Old 30th September 2015, 02:42 PM
Louisda16th Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thank you for your reply but that didn't work either

I still get the "Something has gone wrong" screen instead of the login screen.
Old 30th September 2015, 10:18 PM
Atsuri Offline

linuxsafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisda16th View Post
Thank you for your reply but that didn't work either

I still get the "Something has gone wrong" screen instead of the login screen.
If you have an integrated and a discreet video chip on a laptop and you want to use the proprietary nVidia drivers, you need Bumblebee. The proprietary driver disables kernel mode setting (KMS), which is needed for co-functioning of both graphics cards. Bumblebee lets you run the nVidia graphics card on demand, per program, while the Intel card still drives the display as before .

Read up on Bumblebee on Fedora's and Arch Linux's wiki pages and enjoy the convenience .
Old 9th October 2015, 08:22 AM
whitefish Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos View Post
Strange, the akmod is still working flawlessly for me, now using the Kernel 4.1.3-201.fc22.x86_64.

My installation steps were:

Installed the rpmfusion-free and nonfree packages.

Ran "dnf install akmod-nvidia" in a terminal window.

The first reboot after this failed, and the Gnome oops-message showed up. I switched to a log-in screen with crtl+alt+fx, logged in as root, and tried akmods --force. This failed however, because there were some kernel-header packages missing or something. So I ran dnf update which acutally installed a couple of kernel related packages.

After the next reboot the akmod just worked and I had no problems whatsoever since then.
Hello. I did a fresh install yesterday. The kernal version is 4.1.8-200.fc22.x86_64. Can you report that nvidia driver is working well if you have the same kernal version?
Old 10th October 2015, 08:55 AM
Atsuri Offline

linuxsafari

I can confirm that the nvidia-340xx series akmod works well with the most recent F22 kernel.

As whitefish pointed out through his trial-and-error approach, you need to make sure that you have the kernel headers for this kernel, otherwise the nvidia kernel module will not be compiled properly. For me installing akmod-nvidia-340xx pulled in all of the dependencies, though I would closely inspect the dnf (or yumex-dnf) transaction before proceeding .
Old 17th October 2015, 03:18 PM
Louisda16th Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsuri View Post
If you have an integrated and a discreet video chip on a laptop and you want to use the proprietary nVidia drivers, you need Bumblebee. The proprietary driver disables kernel mode setting (KMS), which is needed for co-functioning of both graphics cards. Bumblebee lets you run the nVidia graphics card on demand, per program, while the Intel card still drives the display as before .

Read up on Bumblebee on Fedora's and Arch Linux's wiki pages and enjoy the convenience .
Thank you so much, this works!

Is it possible to have gnome running with bumblebee? I'd be grateful if you could point me to instructions if it's possible.
Old 18th October 2015, 08:37 PM
bosim Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

To me bumblebee gives a huge reduction in FPS. What do you guys think about my GPU selection package? (I am quite suprised I didn't get much feedback when I wrote about it in the forum) With bumblebee I got at some situations 30 FPS in X-Plane, however using the NVIDIA card directly I got double FPS (there is apparently a huge overhead in copying frames from NVIDIA card to the Intel card).

https://github.com/paltas/FedoraPrime

Bo
Old 11th November 2015, 11:41 PM
BohdanKornienko Offline

linuxchrome

Hello Guys.
I have GeForce GTX960 card.
On freshly installed F22 I have tried to install nVidia driver as said in tutorial (just akmod and akmod-340xx)
But after rebooting I got message "Oh no! Something has gone wrong..."

If I use gdm it shows me this message after booting.
If I use lightdm this message comes up after logging in.

I have tried also install from nvidia official web site. Their run installer. Using this tutorial http://www.if-not-true-then-false.co...-nvidia-guide/ as well. But it gives me an error "Unable to load dkms modules".

I have tried stuff from next links:
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...vidia-drivers/
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...a-22-live-dvd/

and a lot of another examples which I have found in google by keywords like "oh no message, unable to boot after nvidia installed" and so on.

I really do know what to do else.
Please. Could you assist me in solving this problem?

Update:
The final goal is to get drivers working to allow me install Cuda and Caffe framwork.
Old 6th June 2016, 11:20 PM
Piscium Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I wish there was a definitive guide for using proprietary Nvidia drivers with Fedora. As there isn't this thread is the best resource, however it has shortcomings in that different people say different things!

So I took things from what different people said and ran these commands:

Code:
dnf update
dnf install   akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia    xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-devel   xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs   gcc   kernel-devel  vdpauinfo  libva-vdpau-driver  libva-utils  dkms  kernel-headers  xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686

## Backup old initramfs nouveau image ##
ls /boot
mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img

## Create new initramfs image ##
dracut --omit-drivers nouveau /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
ls /boot

#  reboot

# After reboot, this command should not output anything:
lsmod |grep nouveau
The above works with the current Fedora 23 kernel (4.5.5-201). "lsmod |grep nouveau" returns nothing.

I still have xorg-x11-drv-nouveau.x86_64 installed.

My question: when the next kernel update arrives do I have to do anything special, such as running dracut again?
Old 6th June 2016, 11:41 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Yes, you'll need to create a file in /etc/dracut.conf.d that tells dracut to omit the nouveau driver when it runs after a kernel upgrade. Check out man dracut.conf for more info, but watch out, the syntax changes for the file compared to the command line! Here's my file to add f2fs support to the kernel:
Code:
# cat /etc/dracut.conf.d/99-f2fs.conf
add_drivers+=" f2fs "
If you look at the command line argument to dracut, it's --add-drivers. The missing -- in the file makes sense, but substituting _ for - in the file caught me by surprise the first time.

dd_wizard

P.S You can test your file by running dracut and sending the output to a file, instead of initramfs. Then you can use lsinitrd on the file to check for nouveau.
Code:
# dracut test.img $(uname -r)

# lsinitrd test.img | grep f2fs
drwxr-xr-x   1 root     root            0 Jun  6 15:48 usr/lib/modules/4.5.5-201.fc23.x86_64/kernel/fs/f2fs
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       117224 May 21 09:21 usr/lib/modules/4.5.5-201.fc23.x86_64/kernel/fs/f2fs/f2fs.ko.xz

Last edited by dd_wizard; 6th June 2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 6th June 2016, 11:51 PM
Piscium Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I am always looking for the simplest solution.
If I uninstall the Nouveau driver would I still need to change the dracut configuration per your post?
Old 6th June 2016, 11:58 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

As long uninstalling nouveau removes the kernel modules, that should work. I've never had to worry about it since I'm using Intel drivers. Did you see my PS? You can uninstall the nouveau driver, then do a test dracut build and use lsinitrd to look for the nouveau modules in the test.img file.

dd_wizard

Tags
f22, guide, link, nvidia