Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th December 2013, 01:37 PM
joelthelion Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Use fedup 0.8 to upgrade to Fedora 20! (FedUp F19->F20 fails after reboot)

For me updating fedup doesn't work:

Quote:
$ sudo yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update fedup
Loaded plugins: langpacks, refresh-packagekit
No packages marked for update

$ rpm -qi fedup
Name : fedup
Version : 0.7.3
Release : 4.fc19
Architecture: noarch
(...)
Any ideas?
Old 19th December 2013, 05:22 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

It's moving between updates-testing and updates right now. If you try again soon it should work, or you can grab it from koji if you must have it now:

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/b...buildID=484014
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 19th December 2013, 06:39 PM
CronoCloud Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwei356 View Post
Hi, all. Thanks you again.

I wrote a upgrade guide on my blog by your valuable advices:

-------------------------------------------------------------
It will fail to upgrade Fedora 19 to Fedora 20 directly by running fedup sudo fedup --network 20, you must do this firstly, following vbraun's advice.

sudo yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update fedup

If you have failed with fedup 0.7, you can do this to avoid redownload packages, following AdamW's advice.

sudo mv /var/lib/fedora-upgrade /var/lib/system-upgrade
sudo mv /var/tmp/fedora-upgrade /var/tmp/system-upgrade

And then, import GPG-KEY, following Sayen's advice:

sudo rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-nonfree-fedora-20

Finally,

sudo fedup --network 20
Yep, same issue as everyone else, that solution worked just fine for me.

Code:
Linux 3.11.10-301.fc20.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Dec 5 14:01:17 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
And again, just like after the F18 > F19 fedup, the RPMfusion Nvidia binary blog was working just fine after, without me having to actually do anything.

CronoCloud

Last edited by CronoCloud; 19th December 2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 20th December 2013, 03:26 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Just upgraded from F19 to F20 today using fedup. The only issue I had was with SELinux. After selecting the System Upgrade option in grub, the system just hanged with a message saying something like "systemd[1]: Failed to initialize SELinux context ...". I waited to see if it would change, no dice. I have always had SELinux turned off, so my guess is that fedup didn't anticipate that.

So I did some digging around and found a solution: append the following to the System Upgrade menu item in grub (the line that starts with "linux ..."):
Code:
selinux=0 enforcing=0
After doing that, the System Upgrade option worked, and the rest of the upgrade went smoothly.

It's possible that this might fix the problem that others are having. I'm surprised that fedup apparently assumes that people are using SELinux. That's the first thing I disable when I install a new Fedora system, and I bet a lot of other people do too.
OS: Fedora 25 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 20th December 2013, 03:59 AM
AdamW Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Just upgraded from F19 to F20 today using fedup. The only issue I had was with SELinux. After selecting the System Upgrade option in grub, the system just hanged with a message saying something like "systemd[1]: Failed to initialize SELinux context ...". I waited to see if it would change, no dice. I have always had SELinux turned off, so my guess is that fedup didn't anticipate that.

So I did some digging around and found a solution: append the following to the System Upgrade menu item in grub (the line that starts with "linux ..."):
Code:
selinux=0 enforcing=0
After doing that, the System Upgrade option worked, and the rest of the upgrade went smoothly.

It's possible that this might fix the problem that others are having. I'm surprised that fedup apparently assumes that people are using SELinux. That's the first thing I disable when I install a new Fedora system, and I bet a lot of other people do too.
I just tested this, and couldn't exactly reproduce it. If I install F19 and disable selinux by adding it to the kernel parameters for the default kernel, when I run fedup, 'selinux=0' is appended to the parameters of the fedup System Upgrade boot menu entry too. That's not surprising, as fedup just calls new-kernel-pkg to set up its bootloader entry, just like a normal kernel install.
Old 20th December 2013, 04:13 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
If I install F19 and disable selinux by adding it to the kernel parameters for the default kernel
I've never disabled SELinux that way. I do it by setting SELINUX=disabled in /etc/sysconfig/selinux.
OS: Fedora 25 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 20th December 2013, 04:15 AM
AdamW Offline

linuxfirefox

sigh, there's always three damn ways to do every damn thing.
Old 20th December 2013, 04:35 AM
AdamW Offline

linuxfirefox

can't reproduce even that way. the upgrade proceeds successfully, though selinux=0 isn't on the command line. perhaps it needs a dirtier system?
Old 20th December 2013, 05:04 AM
rclark Offline

linuxfirefox

FWIW, I always have selinix disabled too via the /etc/sysconfig/selinux file as well. My upgrade on two machines had no problem with selinx disabled during the upgrade. Note that the selinux module files/libs are still present, I just disable it. Also, I don't use LVM either if that has anything to do with it... I now just have the fstab nfs problem which I can get around for now by manually mounting after boot. I will explore the problem more when I have time.

Last edited by rclark; 20th December 2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old 20th December 2013, 07:03 AM
CronoCloud Offline

linuxfirefox

I have SELinux disabled as well, all the upgrade did for me in regards to SELinux was to do a required re-label or something of that sort, early on. I thought that was strange, since I have it disabled...didn't seem to do any harm.

CronoCloud
Old 20th December 2013, 02:56 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post

Code:
selinux=0 enforcing=0

I would have tried with just the enforcing=0 option first. In fact, I use that every time I do an upgrade now since I got bit a few versions back where I had a hosed system due to SELinux not allowing some files when it upgraded packages, and I ended up with packages installed, but their files were zero byte files

My usual upgrade procedure now is to boot with enforcing=0 to do the actual upgrade, then I also run a complete SELinux relabel once the upgrade is done. The relabel is probably unnecessary, but it does make sure that any differences in SELinux contexts between releases are taken care of.

Note that the selinux=0 option is a big hammer (so to speak) and your SELinux contexts won't get updated on anything installed while disabled. You will pretty much have to do the complete relabel once the upgrade is done if you use it and usually run with SELinux on.

I run with SELinux in enforcing mode, and after getting used to configuring it, I would not run any other way. SELinux has kept me from messing up my own system, plus locked it down so others can't either. It's not too hard to use SELinux and allow just about anything you need, but still keep the protection it offers.
Old 20th December 2013, 09:29 PM
TarrasQ Offline

linuxfirefox

As the originator of this thread I felt I should report my own progress.

After fedup 0.8 was announced as a solution, I've now successfully upgraded two installations. The other one had SELinux enabled and the other one didn't. After updating FedUp I didn't have any problems with either one.
Old 22nd December 2013, 05:28 AM
kaatmanduu Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm seeing similar problems to this thread. I'm using fedup 0.8, which seems to download everything without errors. After a reboot, the GUI login displays, but the upgrade never starts.
Disabling selinix has no affect on the problem. There are no obvious problems in syslog, other than the firewall and lsb failing to start. Any ideas on where to look?
Old 22nd December 2013, 05:22 PM
JRWhitley Offline

linuxfirefox

I have upgraded 4 systems to Fedora 20, two worked and two have failed due to (I believe) selinux issues. In both cases during the upgrade i.e. after re-booting into system upgrade, the upgrade/selinux has relabelled. (i'm not sure which partitions) and then rebooted. On reboot the upgrade eventually times out with a dependency on one of the partitions. I tried commenting the non-system partitions out from /etc/fstab but it stll hung on /var. I have selinux disabled on both systems. I tried selinux=0 enforcing=0 on the upgrade kernel but whilst it got further, firewalld failed and I was dropped back to a fedora 19 kernel. I am now proceeding with a yum update to F20 but I would like to know have to avoid this situation. Should I re-label before the upgrade?
Old 22nd December 2013, 07:45 PM
AdamW Offline

linuxfirefox

It's known that upgrade fails if you have separate /var partition. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Commo...-var-partition

Tags
f19>f20, f20, fails, fedup, reboot