Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th October 2013, 10:56 PM
ShivaS Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Got something good to say? ...

Yesterday I've upgrade from F18 to F19 without a glitch. KDE looks great and works great and loads fast. So a big "thanks" to all devs and QAs that made this possible.

THANKS

You can't have everything ....Where would you put it?
We, humans, are used with loops, not leaps...
Old 14th October 2013, 11:43 PM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome

Thank you developers where ever you are !

I love Gnome3.
Old 15th October 2013, 12:57 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfirefox

Mr Clausen of Gnome development deserves an applause. Being a software developer myself, I understand the tremendous effort that he put in to insure quality Gnome functioning. He has done a most impressive job.

He is the developer, and is responsible for its implementation. I do not believe he is responsible for the design, per-sae.

I still prefer the Gnome of Fedora 18 to the versions of Fedora19 and soon to be version 20.

Wayland is making great strides at functionality, performance and ease of use for development. Gnome is on Wayland and that is the group that collectively needs a round of applause too.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 15th October 2013, 03:26 AM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome

I tried Xmir on Ubuntu, and it was/is a total disaster. I hope that Wayland works on my legacy nvidia:
6150SE nforce 430

Funny thing is Ubuntu Unity pushed me onto Gnome3, and now I loved it. Once you get use to its rather unusual interface.
The devs are doing a great job on Gnome3! I tried Fedora KDE and it crashed, but Kubuntu didn't. Or rather it did, but I found the solution - start with nomodeset on first boot, and then from there on nouveau works great.
I should re-try Fedora after learning that trick.
Old 25th October 2013, 07:47 PM
gebor Offline

linuxchrome

Since 2010 I have installed Linux on my machine(s), after I reached my limit on Windows with xp. Surprising was the ease of installation of ubuntu (debian) 2010, which facilitated the entry into the "foreign language" Linux. SuSE brought diversity in the desktop design and installation problems from time to time.

With fedora (17-19) I found a constantly updated system that, after three years of settling in Linux, is easy in use and versatile turns in construction. Terminal work can be minimized by help thru Internet and forums: (copy & paste) to perform for me (untrained).

After three years I have a pretty fixed quota of "programs" / packages that very satisfactory replace almost all Windows programs. Since this year I use the terminal to install my list of about 160 "evry-day-programs" that I'm using. That allows the installation to proceed fairly quickly.

As I always format the HDD before installations, I have no further or serious installation~ or operation problems.

Conclusion: Linux (fedora) is superior to Windows (xp and higher) clarity and speed in every respect, and the reliability necessarily given by server structure. Minor "inconsistencies" are handled or turned off by the help of forums / internet on the fly. It remains a mystery to me why Linux (fedora) is not more popular among Single-Desktop/Notebook-Users!

To fedora 19: anaconda won through restructuring, the installation has become easier (compared to fedora 18). The desktop design has significantly gained by improving the system tray structure (xfce)
Old 30th October 2013, 04:19 PM
mwils Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkshethin View Post
I am using Fedora
I too, but moved from Gnome to XFCE for some years ago.
Old 20th December 2013, 02:02 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

A big thank you for the early Christmas present that is Fedora 20 LXDE Spin. For the past few years I've been using Linux Mint 9 LXDE on a 2005 HP Compaq NX9105 Business Notebook.

I was struggling to upgrade it to newer builds of ubuntu based operating systems. Each time the process was thwarted by the hardware combination in the notebook. It would randomly manifest in freezes during the boot stage or intermittent wireless and GPU kernel panics no matter what I threw at it to fix it.

On the off chance I decided to give Fedora 20 LXDE a try after reading about the new release on Distrowatch and I am glad I did. The system just works straight away. No hardware issues to edit grub commands to circumvent or messing around with wireless drivers. Everything is already in place, working and so far 100% reliable albeit for a few days.

The switch has been painless and so far a pleasurable experience. Have a wonderful Christmas and all the best for the New Year!

I've loaded on my preferred applications and backed the system up with Redo Backup and Restore.
Old 21st December 2013, 04:49 PM
lsatenstein Offline

windows_7firefox

Fedora 20 would not be out for Christmas if it was not for Adam Williamson. I have been in software engineering now for 50 years (yup) and I know the long hours, the efforts, the testing, the project management, the communications, and all that encompasses Adam's Q/A job. I believe that AW has put in at least 60 hours per week, for the last few weeks. Who, except someone who loves Fedora, who is an Adam, would do that? Bravo Adam. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

Old 21st December 2013, 10:28 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I second that one, Leslie.

Adam really works hard to put out a quality release, even going beyond what he gets paid to do. Redhat does not pay him to come in here and answer questions, but he does it. In a way that makes his job easier, and in other ways it makes it harder.

I know Adam has taken the brunt of users frustrations at times, and still he kept his calm and tried to help.
Old 22nd December 2013, 06:25 PM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

Mandriva's fault = Fedora's advantage.
Old 23rd December 2013, 02:52 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
Fedora 20 would not be out for Christmas if it was not for Adam Williamson. Who, except someone who loves Fedora, who is an Adam, would do that? Bravo Adam. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.
+1

Whether answer one of my questions, or reading his answers to others' questions, Adam is a huge resource and of great value to the Fedora Project.

Thank You Adam
Old 6th February 2014, 05:43 PM
ryptyde Offline

linuxfirefox

Well here's a testimony for the devs at Fedora and the great job they have done in the past decade to the present. Have currently went from Fedora 15 to Fedora 20 via preupgrade and then fedup through the release cycles and still waiting for the sky to fall.

Had considered numerous times to do a fresh install on this particular machine but couldn't resist the challenge of an upgrade and maybe the fun of ironing out a problem or two. Have to say this was the most uneventful seamless upgrade yet. Hopefully I don't become complacent and lazy while cruising down Fedoras easy street.

phil
Old 27th February 2014, 11:59 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfirefox

I have a lot of thanks to put out, from Pete Travis, Adam Williamson, clumens, Richard Stallman, to MJM, whose web pages back when I was getting my feet wet, to Cris Tyler, who wrote the Fedora 6 book, and to the guys on this forum, who tolerate me, when I goof up on a posting.
I will say that Gnome3, with tweaks is fantastic. Here are my extensions
Drop down Terminal (to run yum) Lock keys (wireless keyboard lights), Places Status Indicator(A few links to certain places), Recent Items, Taskbar (wow, fantastic).

Gnome3 is now fast and easy to use. Thanks to Gnome developers who persisted, even with all the bickering that took place.

Old 28th February 2014, 10:53 AM
hadrons123 Offline
'The Blue Dragon'

linuxfirefox

Just wished adamW "Happy birthday" a few days ago. His efforts are amazing in QA and outside too, like our forums,google +, his blog. I am yet to see someone with same assertiveness as him in fedora. Red hat must be lucky to have him. I like to stick to some OSes for the people who are involved in that project. AdamW,Leigh,K. Fenzi are few people who makes me use Fedora in one of my systems. Russ allbery, joey hess make me stick to Debian in one of my laptops.
Old 6th July 2014, 03:08 AM
Panther96 Offline

linuxfirefox

Even though this thread is a bit older I thought it would still be the appropriate one to say thank you to all the fedora team for a near perfect OS that works for me! I have been using Fedora 20 for over a week now and for the first time I can say I've found a distro for the long haul. In short, I actually used linux several years ago (Mandriva in specific) but then I left around the time of Windows 7 and discontinuation of Mandriva itself. Fast forward to today, I now have needs for linux and linux only for my system, I really had difficulties finding a distro to call ¨home.¨ Each distro I've tried up to this point (Mageia--> Openmandriva-->Manjaro for a few months stay until rolling updates start creating interesting graphic issues-->Ubuntu) had too many insurmountable problems for me to solve. After all the frustrations I've had and before I was ready to throw in the towel I talked myself into giving one last try to linux, and that try would go to Fedora. All in all I am so happy I actually gave Fedora a chance after all these years again because it was exciting to see all my hardware supported for once as if magic, and with the help of the #fedora IRC channel and some other community members, I was able to get all the configurations and software I needed to function on a lighting fast base.

So in sum, thanks to everyone here at the fedora project! Especially to the development team, but as well to the super supportive those at the #fedora IRC channel. All the great work you guys do is impressive and greatly appreciated. I've even learned to find love for Gnome 3

Tags
good