Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th November 2009, 06:46 AM
Octav Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Lightbulb Scanner and Printer install

Hi, I have Fedora 12 installed on my computer and I'm trying to set up a printer and a scanner for my personal use.
The printer is a Canon LBP 3200 and the scanner a Mustek 1200 UB Plus. Both are connected via USB.
For the printer i managed to install a driver, but it will still not print. It only ejects blank pages. For the scanner i tried sane, but to no avail.
Any help on how to configure them, and a step-by-step installation will be greatly appreciated.
Old 30th November 2009, 09:20 AM
tytower Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
Just from memory with the scanner ,the config file lists all the models they knew of when they wrote it.
You have to go into the config file and delete the "#" hash mark in front of the lines intended for the Mustek 1200 UB Plus .
That was the old way back3 or 4 years ago . It may have changed and you will probably need to be root or maybe somebody can give you a command line to enter exactly in a console

Last edited by tytower; 30th November 2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 30th November 2009, 07:59 PM
Octav Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytower View Post
Just from memory with the scanner ,the config file lists all the models they knew of when they wrote it.
You have to go into the config file and delete the "#" hash mark in front of the lines intended for the Mustek 1200 UB Plus .
That was the old way back3 or 4 years ago . It may have changed and you will probably need to be root or maybe somebody can give you a command line to enter exactly in a console
Thanks for the answer.
I actually worked with that editing of the gt68xx.conf file to delete the hash and now it's working perfect. I'm very pleased with the way Xsane works.
But i still didn't manage to get the printer to work. I get the driver from the manufacturer's website but it still won't print.
Old 30th November 2009, 08:05 PM
tytower Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
Try here
.http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
Old 30th November 2009, 10:57 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Just note. You won't get any manufacturer support from Canon. I have tried in the past before, and once they hear linux, they slam the door and won't even speak to you about it.

Company I work for will not purchase any Canon products due to this lack of support, and I had to replace my Canon scanner (FB620U) since it wasn't supported by sane.
Old 1st December 2009, 12:32 AM
tytower Offline
Banned

linuxfedorafirefox
Did you try it with a similar model?
The OP 's printer /scanner is not specifically covered in the printer list above but if he tries one closest in numbers they often have enough similarities to work well.
Old 1st December 2009, 03:11 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Yes, I tried several of the Canon USB scanners with no luck. It's a pretty nice scanner for the price, but just can't use it in linux right now.
Old 1st December 2009, 03:59 PM
davidvandoren Offline

linuxsafari
Last option is virtual box or vmware and windows.
You can than access your scanner printer through usb support on a virtual windows pc and share a folder on fedora.

I'd recommend win2000 for faster performance if you got win2000 driver supported.
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:59 AM
Octav Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks guys for all the help.
I updated fedora and now it works. I connected the printer on a windows computer in the network, and using samba i can send print jobs to the network printer. It's more convenient this way.

Tags
mustek, printer