Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th June 2008, 06:01 AM
rpopovich Offline

Thumbs up Succesful FC8 Install, However...

I'm a new member and I had a successful install of FC8 on my Dell C800 laptop however after the first reboot at the logon screen, the video image looked torn in half with some kind of noisy boundary between the two halves. By holding down the Fn key and pressing an "F" key with the "Font" icon on it makes the video look normal but shrunk down to the center area of the lcd screen. Another pressing of the keys brings the same image full screen. Going into video properties all I see is 640 X 480 and 800 X 600 selectable resolutions. Everything else worked fine from the start, network, USB, mouse & keyboard; very pleased! Does anyone have a fix for this video problem? I'm fairly new at LINUX but had some old DOS command line experience in my past. From the searching on the web I've seen a lot of failed Linux video on this machine due to the ATI Mobility Rage hardware. I too failed on a previous Suse Linux 10.2 install. Again very pleased with Fedora 8!

rpopovich
Old 6th June 2008, 08:50 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

Can you post the output of the command cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
Old 7th June 2008, 04:28 AM
rpopovich Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo
Can you post the output of the command cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
I do a lot of travelling but when I get home tomorrow or early next week I'll attempt to post the information. One question, do I open a terminal window and execute the command string you provided? I noticed that during the install there was a question asking if it was all right to forward the configuration and I agreed but just where that went I couldn't tell you.
Old 7th June 2008, 04:40 AM
marko Offline

rpopovich:

Did you run an update after installing Fedora 8 or is that with just
the code from the install?
Old 7th June 2008, 04:48 AM
rpopovich Offline

I started the whole install fresh with the DSL based network connected. After the initial install it spent a good amount of time updating the install and over the last two weeks the Updater ran automatically twice when I started FireFox.

Tags
fc8, install, succesful