Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

View Poll Results: Did it work for you
Yes 459 48.57%
No 343 36.30%
Nearly worked 143 15.13%
Voters: 945. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd June 2007, 10:12 PM
joao82 Offline

hmmm hi it's me again.
I tried to go back to the "radeon" driver, so I went to system-config-display and in "hardware->video card" changed the driver back to "radeon", restored my xorg.conf file with the same I had posted here and restarted the session. It worked fine. but when rebooted my laptop it started to activate the flgrx driver again and it undid my steps.
I wanted to update FC6 to Fedora 7 instead of doing a clean install. Any suggestions on how to reverse this howto?
thanks in advance

Last edited by joao82; 2nd June 2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 2nd June 2007, 10:27 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by joao82
hmmm hi it's me again.
I tried to go back to the "radeon" driver, so I went to system-config-display and in "hardware->video card" changed the driver back to "radeon", restored my xorg.conf file with the same I had posted here and restarted the session. It worked fine. but when rebooted my laptop it started to activate the flgrx driver again and it undid my steps.
I wanted to update FC6 to Fedora 7 instead of doing a clean install. Any suggestions on how to reverse this howto?
thanks in advance
To remove fglrx

Quote:
su -
yum -y remove kmod-fglrx xorg-x11-drv-fglrx xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-libs-32bit livna-config-display
And to remove the XGL script

Quote:
su
cd to-script-path
sh installXGL_EN -r
And to update to FC7
Quote:
su -
wget http://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/...7-3.noarch.rpm
wget http://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/...0-1.noarch.rpm
rpm -U fedora-release-7-3.noarch.rpm fedora-release-notes-7.0.0-1.noarch.rpm
yum -y update

Last edited by leigh123linux; 2nd June 2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 2nd June 2007, 10:53 PM
joao82 Offline

nice, it worked thank you for being so quick.
although I'll upgrade to Fedora 7 using the DVD. I only mentioned it because it's the reason why I'm removing fglrx.

Last edited by joao82; 2nd June 2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 3rd June 2007, 11:11 PM
Tyson Moore Offline

Uh oh

I'm having a problem (on FC7) with the
Quote:
service fglrx restart
part. It says that fglrx isn't a valid service... and without this driver, I'm getting <1 Frame per second when running any fullscreen or 3d/graphics program .
Old 4th June 2007, 01:03 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Moore
Uh oh

I'm having a problem (on FC7) with the part. It says that fglrx isn't a valid service... and without this driver, I'm getting <1 Frame per second when running any fullscreen or 3d/graphics program .
There is no working fglrx driver for FC7 till version 8.38 in a months time.
Old 4th June 2007, 01:11 AM
leigh123linux

I have now clarified post #2
Old 4th June 2007, 03:12 PM
Dr_Jay Offline

Right then, so I'm back and after playing with it a bit, I can get Xgl to load on a single monitor. That said, here are my issues, because I want to use both heads on my dual-head card..:

When using xcinerama it disables DRI...so that obviously kills Xgl, even if I use the -xcinerama switch for Xgl.

If I get bot monitors working using the latest fglrx and the following snippets I can't load Xgl, it blows up with the aforementioned errors...

Layout setup that works on one monitor with Xgl:
Quote:
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Multihead layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"
Screen 1 "Screen1" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection
And the pertinant device section:
Quote:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
VendorName "Videocard Vendor"
BoardName "ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]"
Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
Option "UseFastTLS" "0"
Option "BlockSignalsOnLock" "on"
Option "ForceGenericCPU" "off"
Option "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
Option "DesktopSetup" "horizonal" #or horizontal to stretch
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
###Screen 0
EndSection
To make my screen actually span (but it stops Xgl from working) i remove the following from the layout.
Quote:
Screen 0 "Screen0" LeftOf "Screen1"
Thoughts, ideas, help?

Dr J
Old 4th June 2007, 08:43 PM
Dr_Jay Offline

It almost looks like Dual Head is not supported by Xgl at this time for fglrx drivers based on the resolution limitation and info located here: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Xgl

Is anyone running dual head with Xgl successfully?

J

Last edited by Dr_Jay; 4th June 2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 5th June 2007, 05:05 AM
leigh123linux

I have posted a temporary fix for fglrx in FC7 in post #2 of this thread , please let me know if it works ok.
Old 5th June 2007, 01:14 PM
FShift Offline

First of all excuse me for my bad English.I'm fed up with m$ operating systems so i switched to fedora 7,i'm new to Fedora and also new to linux.These days i'm trying to figure out Fedora.I have some questions,it will be much appreciated if you able to reply.Thanks.

1- Livna is a kind of group that develops open source extensions/drivers for Fedora am i right? In post #49 you gave the drivers for ati graphic
cards,is it also for mp3 support or adding mp3 support is totally a different extension? I mean is Livna developing one extension/plugin package for Fedora or separate extensions for different needs?

2- Offical Ati drivers for linux 8.37.6 is not compatible with fedora 7 and
we have to wait for 8.38 or we can try to install livna drivers but what if 8.38 also will not be compatible with fedora 7?

3- After installing Livna will i be able to install Beryl without problems? We are installing these grapihic card drivers for complete 3D support but what if i was using nVidia card instead of a ati x550? Do i still have to install compatible nVidia drivers for Fedora or natively Fedora supports nVidia cards with full 3D support?

Trying to run Fedora 7 :) On :
Asus TA 252 Case
Asus P5LD2 Revision 2.0 Mainboard
Intel Celeron 2.93Ghz EMT64 @ 4.1Ghz with Asus StarICE
1 GB Twinmos CL 5 DDRII 667Mhz
Asus PCI-Ex 256 MB DDRII 128Bit Ati Radeon x550 Pro Silent
Seagate Barracuda SATAII 80GB
Seagate Barracuda SATAII 120GB
16x LG DvD-Rw
Philips 109B70 CRT
Old 5th June 2007, 01:31 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by FShift
First of all excuse me for my bad English.I'm fed up with m$ operating systems so i switched to fedora 7,i'm new to Fedora and also new to linux.These days i'm trying to figure out Fedora.I have some questions,it will be much appreciated if you able to reply.Thanks.

1- Livna is a kind of group that develops open source extensions/drivers for Fedora am i right? In post #49 you gave the drivers for ati graphic
cards,is it also for mp3 support or adding mp3 support is totally a different extension? I mean is Livna developing one extension/plugin package for Fedora or separate extensions for different needs?

2- Offical Ati drivers for linux 8.37.6 is not compatible with fedora 7 and
we have to wait for 8.38 or we can try to install livna drivers but what if 8.38 also will not be compatible with fedora 7?

3- After installing Livna will i be able to install Beryl without problems? We are installing these grapihic card drivers for complete 3D support but what if i was using nVidia card instead of a ati x550? Do i still have to install compatible nVidia drivers for Fedora or natively Fedora supports nVidia cards with full 3D support?
1. The livna release key gives you all the non-free bits ( codecs driver & much more ) that fedora can't include for legal reasons.

FC6 key
FC7 key
Make sure you use the right key for your distro.

Heres a guide for mutimedia

http://www.diffingo.com/blog/content/view/37/33/

2. That is a possibility, have you seen the work around fix in post #2 ?

3. To get beryl you need to install a 3D driver ,

for ati you need either fglrx or radeon ( radeon only if you card is old enough )

for nvidia you need to install the 3D nvidia driver

Last edited by leigh123linux; 5th June 2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 5th June 2007, 01:44 PM
FShift Offline

Thank you very much for you answers.I'll try to do what you've described in post #2.

Trying to run Fedora 7 :) On :
Asus TA 252 Case
Asus P5LD2 Revision 2.0 Mainboard
Intel Celeron 2.93Ghz EMT64 @ 4.1Ghz with Asus StarICE
1 GB Twinmos CL 5 DDRII 667Mhz
Asus PCI-Ex 256 MB DDRII 128Bit Ati Radeon x550 Pro Silent
Seagate Barracuda SATAII 80GB
Seagate Barracuda SATAII 120GB
16x LG DvD-Rw
Philips 109B70 CRT
Old 5th June 2007, 03:13 PM
Dr_Jay Offline

so, I'm still playing with it but can't seem to get Xgl to run in 2560x1024, bummer!
Old 5th June 2007, 04:19 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Jay
so, I'm still playing with it but can't seem to get Xgl to run in 2560x1024, bummer!

There is a Screen limit of 2048x1024 with XGL
Old 5th June 2007, 06:30 PM
leigh123linux

If you want to try the fix in post #2 and want the livna driver ( i686 only )

I have just rebuilt the livna driver from source for f7 as it was no longer available .

http://www.linux-ati-drivers.homecall.co.uk/livna/

Last edited by leigh123linux; 5th June 2007 at 06:57 PM.

Tags
ati, fglrx, howto