Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th March 2017, 08:14 AM
amitkher Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
fedora 25 installation (btrfs, encrypted /) fails

Hi,
I have a Fedora 23 installation - with non-encrypted /boot with ext4, and encrypted / with btrfs.

I am installing Fedora 25 on top of it (not upgrading). I selected the manual selection of partitions and selected the same partition layout that I had with Fedora 23. Installation starts , but fails within 1-5 minutes, with the attached traceback output :

EDIT : I say it fails within 1-5 minutes because I tried multiple times. Sometimes I created user, set root password and then anaconda crashed - installation was more than 50% finished. Sometimes it crashed soon after disk layout selection.
Attached Files
File Type: gz traceback.txt.gz (207.5 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by amitkher; 19th March 2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 19th March 2017, 10:07 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: fedora 25 installation (btrfs, encrypted /) fails

Hmmm..

question, are you first deleting all the F23 partitions, and then recreating them for F25 ?
I am suspecting your F25 is trying to somehow mount an encrypted LUKS partition without the proper password.
I would delete all previous partitions, and recreate them.

ALSO, on a personal note, I decided against encrypting my / partition, cuz if I go through an airport checkpoint, and they make me boot the machine, you will immediately see the LUKS PASSWORD DIALOG, and not only they can force you to give them your password, but you are forever entered into a "possible terrorist" list.

So, the way I do it, is always create the / partition with say 50GB (unencrypted), and that's where the OS goes, and there shouldn't be anything "personal" there. And create a dummy user, like "master".

Then I leave the rest of the disk empty first , until everything is installed. Once installed, I create myself a new partition on the remainder of the disk with gparted, and then I either LUKS or TRUECRYPT that, but I DO NOT insert that partition in /etc/fstab. Then after booting, I hit CTRL-ALT-F2, and I log in as root, and mount the /home partition (on top of the existing /home folder), and that is where yo have all your encrypted data with all your plans for world domination etc.

makes sense ?

Tags
btrfs, encrypted, fails, fedora, installation