Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th March 2017, 06:50 PM
Tychus Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Fedora 25 Live image problems

I'm trying to install Fedora on my new machine, had many issues with it some were solved like adding iommu=pt / soft to boot option in order for it to work. but once i got into the live image the whole thing was extremely slow and the mouse was not working.

Specs:

AMD FX8370
GTX 1080
MSI 970 Gaming motherboard (AMD 970 chipset)

has anyone experienced the same trouble or has any idea what i should be doing to make things work ?
Old 13th March 2017, 07:09 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Fedora 25 Live image problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychus View Post
I'm trying to install Fedora on my new machine, had many issues with it some were solved like adding iommu=pt / soft to boot option in order for it to work. but once i got into the live image the whole thing was extremely slow and the mouse was not working.

Specs:

AMD FX8370
GTX 1080
MSI 970 Gaming motherboard (AMD 970 chipset)

has anyone experienced the same trouble or has any idea what i should be doing to make things work ?

I have seen that the new Gnome default desktop are seriously slow on some (or older) hardware, so I would recommend downloading an Xfce or LXDE Spin , and installing that instead. Example:
https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/
Old 13th March 2017, 07:13 PM
Tychus Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

well i don't really give a **** i use i3 i just need to install the os. i'll give a try thx mate
Old 14th March 2017, 10:23 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

to resolve the iommu issue I add the following to the boot command line

Code:
modprobe.blacklist=sp5100_tco
regarding performance, it may be nouveau related if the GTX1080 isn't detected properly. try one of the live respin ISO images instead as they contain newer kernels and bug fixes released since the originals available from get.fedoraprojecet.org were mastered.

https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/live-respins/
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 15th March 2017, 05:11 PM
Tychus Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome

Alright got everything setup and running only remaining problem is graphical. I can move the mouse around click and all, but the cursor is always stuck in the upper left corner so i'm actually moving an invisible cursor. is this some Wayland / X11 thing i've read people complaining about similar issues
Old 16th March 2017, 09:54 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

id put money on it being Wayland but also partly nouveau's interaction with it because of your GTX1080 hardware being so new. that's the risk of running a development orientated operating system though.

The Workstation ISO defaults to loading in Wayland and it's hard to make it enter X11 instead because you get auto-logged straight back into Wayland if you try to logout and switch it over to X11. The timed countdown isn't long enough to do so unless you have the hand speed of a ninja warrior.

I personally don't use Wayland since I use a fedora 25 cinnamon spin currently that doesn't require or support it yet. you may want to check out the official spins page and see if you get better results with another X11 based desktop environment too. they all receive exactly the same level of support as Workstation.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates

Tags
fedora, image, live, problems