Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st March 2017, 11:22 AM
CYoungCS Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
How can I dual boot Fedora linux with secure boot?

Running Windows 10, on an ASUS ROG Hero motherboard. There is no option to disable secure boot. Setting admin and user passwords in the BIOS did not unlock the ability to disable secure boot either, and so far setting the cd as the first device to load doesn't allow me to install fedora linux workstation.

Is this even possible? If so, how? I want to get Linux on my system because I have found it to be a better environment for programming in my opinion and was wanting to learn Fedora.
Old 1st March 2017, 11:41 AM
CYoungCS Offline

Re: How can I dual boot Fedora linux with secure boot?

also, I have a SSD drive, a 1tb HDD, and an external drive (also 1tb)

Windows boots from SSD. I would like to install fedora on the internal HDD.
Old 1st March 2017, 12:42 PM
Thorsten Offline

linuxopera

I'm not sure you can secure boot from optical drive, but it does work from USB stick. On my box at least, that wasn't specified over the classic 'boot order' menu but I had a separate 'Boot Options' different from configuration in the UEFI (what used to be BIOS) which offered to boot from stick - how you get there depends on the hardware (for me it was F2 general config F12 boot options menu I think).
Old 1st March 2017, 12:50 PM
CYoungCS Offline

Ok, thanks.

What is the best way to go about making a USB stick for this? I have noticed that I can download fedora media writer, which is a .exe, and not a .iso, or I can download .isos. The media writer confuses me as I am more familiar with .ISOs

f2 or delete gets me into a BIOS (or is this called UEFI now) with fancy graphics and a lot of options.There is a boot order.

if I hold shift and hit restart I will get a menu that gives me a few basic options with tiles and text. Which one of these do I need to go into? If UEFI do I need to change boot order?
Old 1st March 2017, 01:04 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Rather than changing the boot order of the device to boot from first, you should determine which Function key to press at startup to bring up your UEFI OS Boot Menu. My HP uses F9 for that, but more commonly it's F12.

The Fedora install media (Live), whether on USB stick or CD/DVD is configured to be bootable in either MBR or UEFI mode. On a UEFI system, you should see two instances of that boot device, one labeled as UEFI. You need to select the UEFI entry for that device, as picking the non-UEFI entry for that device will fail.
Old 1st March 2017, 09:43 PM
CYoungCS Offline

Ok, so I installed Fedora Media writer to create a live USB and when I run fedora media writer, it won't start.

I can see a process for it in task manager but no windows or anything pop up for it
Old 1st March 2017, 11:19 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYoungCS View Post
Running Windows 10, on an ASUS ROG Hero motherboard. There is no option to disable secure boot. Setting admin and user passwords in the BIOS did not unlock the ability to disable secure boot either, and so far setting the cd as the first device to load doesn't allow me to install fedora linux workstation.

Is this even possible? If so, how? I want to get Linux on my system because I have found it to be a better environment for programming in my opinion and was wanting to learn Fedora.
Make sure the media you are trying to boot from is the 64-bit version. Press F11 (may be different number but my ASUS board uses F11) to access the UEFI boot menu and select the second entry for the optical drive in the list. that will boot the media in UEFI mode. selecting the first optical drive entry boots it in legacy mode.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:44 AM
CYoungCS Offline

The media in question is Fedora Cinnamon 64 bit, I was having issue getting fedora media writer to load so I downloaded something called Rawrite32, from a guide somewhere else on getting Fedora installed. The USB was an 8GB drive that was split into two partitions, but Rawrite32 seemed to write to it fine. Restarted, went into UEFI, selected USB as the first boot device, and it actually started to check the install of Fedora linux, but halted after about 2%. The USB now went from 4GB (one partition was a linux partition which Windows wont recognize) to 5MB, with around 1MB free. I deleted the files off of this USB drive and now only about half of 5MB is free, even though it's an 8GB drive.

What happened here? is there a way to restore my USB drive? I backed up the data first so it is ok.
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:56 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxchrome

Burning an "image" file (*.iso) to a USB stick overwrites any existing FAT partitioning scheme. It is not the same as just copying files to the USB device. Once you burn an image file to the stick, to revert it back to it's former FAT file system format and full capacity, you have to completely reformat the stick to FAT(32).
Old 7th March 2017, 12:03 AM
CYoungCS Offline

I used Linux live for bootable media. So this is solved. Still having issues. Will make a new topic later for it.

Tags
boot, dual, fedora, linux, secure