Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd February 2017, 04:03 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox
OS News Brief about "The right to repair"

I copy/paste from a daily email that I receive from OS NEWS

Source: Apple will fight 'right to repair' legislation

Apple is planning to fight proposed electronics "Right to Repair" legislation being considered by the Nebraska state legislature, according to a source within the legislature who is familiar with the bill's path through the statehouse.

The legislation would require Apple and other electronics manufacturers to sell repair parts to consumers and independent repair shops, and would require manufacturers to make diagnostic and service manuals available to the public.

This requirementn is completely normal in the automotive sector, and I see no reason why the tech sector should be any different...

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 22nd February 2017, 11:48 PM
Doug G Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Re: OS News Brief about "The right to repair"

Well, it sounds to me like that is another example of bad (and misleadingly named) legislation.
Old 23rd February 2017, 01:50 AM
jims Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox

This is reminiscent of the old days when Amdahl was trying to get a bit of the IBM share of the big iron market in the early 1970s. Restriction of repair and installation manuals and parts availability where the main issues.

Eventually, Amdahl did obtain some part of the market share.
Old 24th February 2017, 02:40 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

While I agree that a person that purchases a product should have every resource available to them to be able to repair the product if needed

But no, it's not completely normal in the automotive sector. The electronics on a car are pretty much a "replace only" part if something goes wrong with them. There are a few places that can repair them, and sell repaired parts, for most people/places, the only option is to replace. And the auto manufacturers have wanted to put in tighter controls on even replacing it for years. They want you to be forced to take it back to the dealer instead of doing the work yourself or using a small repair shop. The auto makers don't make the specs available, nor do they make repair parts available for the electronics in an auto. They sell a sealed box, and you have to replace the entire part (they wouldn't even sell the replacement part on the electronics, except they are pretty much forced to).

On the other hand, what if an electronic device has components inside that they can't release the specs on. IBM got hit with that one years ago and it really hurt them.The microchannel bus they used on their PS/2 line wasn't theirs, and they couldn't release the specs. It really hurt the sales of the PS/2 line as not many companies made add on cards for it, even though it was really the superior bus design at that time.
Old 25th February 2017, 04:59 AM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
While I agree that a person that purchases a product should have every resource available to them to be able to repair the product if needed

But no, it's not completely normal in the automotive sector. The electronics on a car are pretty much a "replace only" part if something goes wrong with them. There are a few places that can repair them, and sell repaired parts, for most people/places, the only option is to replace. And the auto manufacturers have wanted to put in tighter controls on even replacing it for years. They want you to be forced to take it back to the dealer instead of doing the work yourself or using a small repair shop. The auto makers don't make the specs available, nor do they make repair parts available for the electronics in an auto. They sell a sealed box, and you have to replace the entire part (they wouldn't even sell the replacement part on the electronics, except they are pretty much forced to).

On the other hand, what if an electronic device has components inside that they can't release the specs on. IBM got hit with that one years ago and it really hurt them.The microchannel bus they used on their PS/2 line wasn't theirs, and they couldn't release the specs. It really hurt the sales of the PS/2 line as not many companies made add on cards for it, even though it was really the superior bus design at that time.
Today if my hard disk fails, I dispose of it. I don't open it up to try and repair it. Ditto for any other component. In the automotive sector, its usual to swap out parts to do a repair. Sometimes the parts are returned to a dealer, other times to trash. At our end-user level, for Desktop or Laptop we can do repairs by replacing components. If it is a cellphone, I can't see why the same rule does not apply.
Except that a repair of a sealed cellphone is most likely to be done well if done in the factory where it was manufactured. And I suppose Apple wants to have repair statistics. It is much easier for Apple to send a unit back to the factory, than for Apple to carry spare parts.

I tend to favor Apple, where the device is a sealed unit.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 25th February 2017, 05:08 AM
beaker_ Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Nah, the automotive analogy is piss poor. You can run even a throttle boddy, old multiport, or a sequential off a 556 timer coupled to a comparator of the pick (eitehr trad distro or cam pos depending of how bad you want it). Problem is in the ABS and SRS integration which I believe should be legislated into being opensourced. Well one's just phase lock looping and the other's just.., I'm going out on a limb and guessing.., a very good model of a dynamic system. VW demonstrated why the ecm should be opensourced. Even today, you'll see fn old ziglogs which is ~40yrs from being rocket science.
Old 5th March 2017, 09:46 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

I tend to prefer everyone else's policy where the device is not a sealed unit and can be repaired by locally accessible authorised third-party repairers without voiding the warranty and bricking the device.

everyone else's' policy keeps me and many others in the IT sector in business, clients happy with a fast and effective service. most manufacturers aren't as restrictive as apple because it is far quicker to effect a warranty repair by using third-party approved companies. sending a device off to the manufacturer and not seeing it for weeks is quite rightly not acceptable for most people.

apple's latest faux pas - you can now get a phone repaired depending on the fault diagnosed that has had a third-party repair to the screen previously with a key proviso. before they will agree to fix whatever is wrong with it, you have to buy a new screen from apple at warranty repair prices even if the one fitted actually works. even then, if they decide the third-party repair caused the fault you want them to fix they still won't touch the phone. ergo they have hold of all device owners by the knackers...