Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st February 2017, 12:23 PM
amine123 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Exclamation my fan run at insanely high speed

I got this problem for about a week, fan keep making noises.
I have i5 3rd generation CPU and 8gram
I got this problem when i used to play dota2 on windows.

asus-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
cpu_fan: 3600 RPM
temp1: +87.0°C

So my question is there a way how to stop the fan from going at this speed i want it to be stable.

Thanks for your time!
Old 21st February 2017, 12:52 PM
SomeDamFool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: my fan run at insanely high speed

Your fan is running insanely fast because your cpu is running hot. 87C is way too high even with multiple processes running. Check in system monitor and see what is using all the cpu time.
Old 21st February 2017, 02:44 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Also, when was the last time you cleaned the dust out of your computer. Dust insulates, and makes it harder for the system to cool itself. I saw this on a laptop which had the fan running at top speed until I got all the dust bunnies out of the vents. Then it slowed down. The same thing can happen with a desktop system. You wouldn't believe the amount of dust I have found on some systems when I have removed the cover. Even worse was on one system where the owner smoked. Then it was a combination of dust and tobacco smoke residue. That one was nasty. It worked much better once it was cleaned.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Old 21st February 2017, 03:57 PM
kanenas Online

linuxfedorafirefox

In addition, try to change CPU's thermal paste if you can.
Old 21st February 2017, 04:04 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Is that a laptop or a PC ?

Looks like Vacuum Cleaning day for you in either case.
Best way I found is to use compressed air to blow out everything, while running the vacuum cleaner on all the important vents.
Old 21st February 2017, 04:27 PM
amine123 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I have ASUS LAPTOP

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

I there is any way to control the fan using an app?

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

I have nothing running in background, the fan are working fine until i lunch mozila it start running at high speed
Old 21st February 2017, 04:27 PM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by amine123 View Post
I have ASUS LAPTOP
Yep, it's time to vacuum the crap out of it. Usually I need to vacuum my laptops (I got like 10 of them, but use 3 constantly), every year or so.

See if you can find a video on youtube, about how to open it up, specifically your model.
Usually you will need to take out the keyboard (or just flip it up), and underneath is "the heart". And then proceed to blow/vacuum anything that has to do with the heatsink.
Old 21st February 2017, 10:57 PM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
is there a way how to stop the fan from going at this speed i want it to be stable.
If the problem is not resolved by clearing out dust, you could have a look at the lm_sensors package which has a fancontrol command and pwmconfig command which access fans to test and control them.
Old 21st February 2017, 11:22 PM
SomeDamFool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

What is the temp before you launch Mozilla (I assume you mean Firefox)? If the temp only goes up with Firefox start looking to see what about it is using all the resources and heating things up.
Old 22nd February 2017, 12:35 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Interestingly, with F25 and current Firefox, I had a similar problem. I looked at cpu use, and FF had taken over one cpu and driving it at a steady 80+%. Firefox was idle. I looked at the add-ins and it turned out to be the gnome-shell-extension.
making that an "on request", helped bring fan and temperature to normal range.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 22nd February 2017, 12:47 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
Interestingly, with F25 and current Firefox, I had a similar problem. I looked at cpu use, and FF had taken over one cpu and driving it at a steady 80+%. Firefox was idle. I looked at the add-ins and it turned out to be the gnome-shell-extension.
making that an "on request", helped bring fan and temperature to normal range.
gnome-shell-extension

one of the main reasons I quit Gnome long ago, everything slows down or stops working.
Old 22nd February 2017, 11:02 AM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

If it did in Windows as well, software will likely not help with it.
You didn't provide the particular ASUS NB model. It's possible BIOS update may fix it, so first try to get info on this.
Sure, you can tear it apart and clean it up, but problem is that some NBs are constructed in so stupid way that just getting to the fan means to get almost everything out of the way. I remember one specific HP crap where even display had to go to get to the fan. Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx001
one of the main reasons I quit Gnome long ago, everything slows down or stops working.
And I stay with Gnome, as it's the only DE Linux has that is coherent no-nonsense, has great workflow and is original effort, while other DEs (not WMs) are either unmaintained, or cheap forks of other people's hard work or just plain pain to use, or all of the above.
With honorable exception of KDE, but that is still sort of a constantly changing mess, where it's hard to get used to something as it gets broken soon again.
Old 22nd February 2017, 12:34 PM
SomeDamFool Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryyy View Post
And I stay with Gnome, as it's the only DE Linux has that is coherent no-nonsense, has great workflow and is original effort, while other DEs (not WMs) are either unmaintained, or cheap forks of other people's hard work or just plain pain to use, or all of the above.
I will agree to disagree. You must be using a different gnome3 than I experienced. When it first came out I stayed with it for 6 months until it nearly drove me insane and homicidal. I switched to xfce and never looked back. XFCE is well maintained and after every update or system upgrade everything in it just works. Period. And KDE and gnome applications work in xfce, in some cases better than they do in their native DE. It's so nice not to have to constantly be fixing the desktop before I can actually do some work.
Old 22nd February 2017, 12:53 PM
Maryyy Offline

linuxfirefox

When it first came out, it was bugged as hell and nearly unusable, namely because of WM related issues.
I hated it, as I was Gnome2 user before.
But still, remember when KDE 4.0 came out? Whoa, that was something. But it turned out to be quite ok DE after all.

Only after 3.6 or so, when the combination of less bugs and letting go of my Gnome2 paradigm habits made me use it most of the time, along with pure Openbox/gmrun combo.

It really doesn't matter much tough, I use this, you use that, that's it. I only can't stand empty idiotic one-liners that don't have any essence apart from the short-lived-Inferiority-complex-fix inside.
Old 22nd February 2017, 02:03 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryyy View Post
If it did in Windows as well, software will likely not help with it.
You didn't provide the particular ASUS NB model. It's possible BIOS update may fix it, so first try to get info on this.
Sure, you can tear it apart and clean it up, but problem is that some NBs are constructed in so stupid way that just getting to the fan means to get almost everything out of the way. I remember one specific HP crap where even display had to go to get to the fan. Really.

With honorable exception of KDE, but that is still sort of a constantly changing mess, where it's hard to get used to something as it gets broken soon again.
Hi Maryyy
I tend to stay with Gnome too. I use three extensions that make gnome more than tolerable, they make Gnome FANTASTIC.

One is taskbar by zpyder (Around #18 in my list of extensions)
The second is Gno-Menu by Panacier (around #17 in my list of extensions)

The third is one that gets rid of that bottom left annoyance,
Topicons Plus by Phocean (around #3 in my list)

Other extensions are for my convenience, (weather), cafeen,pomodoro, Notifcations alert,
The above three noted allowed me to get rid of places, windows list and some extensions .

And yes, after disabling Firefox's Gnome extensions, my cpu fan behaves normally.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Tags
cpu fan, fan, fedora, noises, speed