Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st January 2017, 12:35 PM
jmayday Offline

linuxfedorachrome
VLC broken in Fedora 25

Hi, my recent packages upgrade broke the VLC player. I believe it's related to qt/wayland.

Interface is flickering. When I load a video, the video window is separated from controls. I also can't go back to non-fullscreen mode.
In console I get:
Code:
qt interface error: unknown Qt platform: wayland
or
Code:
xcb_window window error: X server failure
I'm not sure if I can downgrade (dnf downgrade vlc), I get such error:
Code:
Błąd: package vlc-3.0.0-0.11.fc25.x86_64 requires vlc-core(x86-64) = 3.0.0-0.11.fc25, but none of the providers can be installed
Could you please advise how to fix/downgrade?
Old 1st January 2017, 01:14 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: VLC broken in Fedora 25

Can't you use some environment variable to force it to use XWayland?
Too lazy to google the variables for you at the moment.
Old 2nd January 2017, 03:37 AM
hudsonc Offline

linuxfedorachrome

how about
Code:
sudo dnf downgrade
I actually had trouble installing it to begin with. If you go to the vlc page at https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-fedora.html , there is no information about F25. there is mention of rpmfusion though. from there I went to https://rpmfusion.org/Configuration For me to install, I found that if you add the repository by
Code:
su -c 'dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm'
and then install by
Code:
sudo dnf install vlc
then all was good.

maybe just uninstall and reinstall that way? (just an idea) good luck
Old 2nd January 2017, 06:26 AM
computersavvy Offline

linuxchrome

It sounds like the OP had a problem with the various codecs that fedora has chosen not to distribute due to licensing issues and digital rights. The rpmfusion repo is able to distribute some of those. By your following what many of us do and enabling the rpmfusion repositories you were able to get the libraries and codecs that fedora omits.
Old 2nd January 2017, 03:18 PM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

There are several Fedora extensions (Remixes) that include rpmfusion.org. They are Fedora versions that are well worth an investigation.

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 2nd January 2017, 07:49 PM
jmayday Offline

linuxfedorachrome

I think I'll just use Xorg for some time until everything works smooth on Wayland. On Xorg there are no problems with VLC.

PS. I had rpmfusion repos already installed.
Old 2nd January 2017, 11:34 PM
Wayne613 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Just as confirmation, upgraded yesterday, experiencing the same issue. I got around it at first by forcing it to install the 3.0.0.9 version.

The negativo17.org repo seems to be the issue, as I like using handbrake, and to use easily I use that repo. It's dependency is on a vlc version install that gives this error.
Old 3rd January 2017, 05:12 AM
Kobuck Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Just to add more info...

VLC was running on F25 just fine here until just before the holidays. Then something got an update that broke it on Wayland. If I login using X things seem to work just fine.

In my case VLC fails to even start. I get a message saying a bug report has been submitted, but I think since this comes from RPMFUSION its unlikely it really goes anywhere.

Hasn't been a priority for me during the holidays. Just hoping someone's aware and an update will soon arrive that restores operation.
Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc25.armv7hl
Old 7th January 2017, 03:37 AM
Wayne613 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Yeah, it'd be nice if it were fixed soon, I have gotten around it now though by using skins instead (which uses x I believe), it'll start, video just doesn't work natively with this error for me.
Old 9th January 2017, 10:56 AM
kwizart Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

(vlc maintainer in RPM Fusion speaking)

This issue in currently investigated, for now, you can update up to vlc-3.0.0-0.11.fc25 which is the current stable release in RPM Fusion. vlc-3.0.0-0.12.fc25 has the issue and is kept in testing.

If you have vlc-3.0.0-0.12.fc25 from RPM Fusion, please use:
dnf downgrade vlc vlc-core
That will revert back to vlc-3.0.0-0.11.fc25
Old 9th January 2017, 05:37 PM
bluberingbandit Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I had the same problem with the message qt interface error: unknown Qt platform: wayland. I fixed the problem by installing

sudo dnf install qt5-qtwayland.x86_64
sudo dnf remove vlc
sudo dnf install vlc

Basically, after installing qt5-qtwayland.x86_64, vlc would open a window and I could hear sound but see no video. Removing vlc then reinstalling fixed this problem.

Fedora 25 with VLC version 3.0.0-git Vetinari (2.2.0-git-9451-g55835f1)
Old 26th January 2017, 04:27 PM
jcmunioz Offline

linuxfedorachrome

This seems to be related to QT apps in Wayland. I fixed this problem with this:

Quote:
sudo dnf install qt5-qtwayland.x86_64
Old 24th June 2017, 07:23 PM
Lirielm Offline

linuxfedorachrome
Smile Re: VLC broken in Fedora 25

I tried reinstalling and installing some other packages, nothing helped, however,

Code:
dnf downgrade vlc vlc-core
worked like a charm
Old 2nd July 2017, 01:25 AM
jvroig Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Just experienced this issue and wanted to leave this note as one potential easy fix:

Current VLC in a fully-updated Fedora 25 (and I don't know how many older versions, possibly) doesn't work right on Wayland. So just log out, then choose GNOME on Xorg before logging in again. VLC will behave as expected.

If you are unsure if this is your problem, an easy indicator is the VLC window title bar. It's blue (and looks very out-of-place) if you are in Wayland, for some reason, and VLC generally just won't work. Switching to Xorg will make VLC look "normal" (i.e., as it has always been and like most other apps that follow the system theme).
Old 5th July 2017, 11:24 AM
nsnbm Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

jmayday wrote:
Quote:
my recent packages upgrade broke the VLC player.
This also happened on my f25, though I wasn't doing a whole upgrade, but rather an upgrade of selected packages including X and a heap of gui related packages and their dependencies.

The desktop is lxde without any gnome.

The upgraded vlc had audio but the vlc screen started flashing and slowly moving off the screen without any video visuals. The controls on the vlc gui couldn't be controlled by the mouse clicks. probably because the whole vlc window was moving off screen to the upper left.

I tried to downgrade with dnf, but the same screen flashing behaviour appeared in the downgraded vlc.

Tried re-installing the current vlc and a downgraded vlc, but without success with each showing the same flashing behaviour.

Decided to compile my own vlc from source and downloaded the stable source vlc-2.2.26. It would not create a makefile because the libvautil in f25 is too recent. Decided to look at the nightly releases of source and tried the most recent one I could find, but it failed with the error: "/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lva" I installed the libva-devel, but to no avail.

Finally I chose a nightly source release from 2016, vlc-3.0.0-20160826-0221-git.tar.xz, and compiled it, and it worked. I really chose that particular tarfile at random just knowing it was an earlier one than the later ones which wouldn't compile.

At least I have a vlc that now works.

Tags
broken, fedora, vlc