Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th January 2017, 08:47 PM
omoto1 Offline

windows_7firefox
usb 3.0 against 2.0 theoretical and reality.

I currently have fedora 20 on my laptop and want to use my usb 3.0 ports, but, unfortunately, when I transfer large files, it doesn't go passed 1.5Gbp/s (90mb per second transfer rate.) Is the usb 3.0 5Gbp/s (400mb per second transfer rate) theoretical or a reality? If I can get 90mb per second transfer rate, it's only 3 out of 10 times.

hp dv6-6c35dx
Old 17th January 2017, 09:06 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Re: usb 3.0 against 2.0 theoretical and reality.

this will also dependent on the device you connect but it depends primarily on the USB controller hp used in the notebook if not and the support provided by the kernels. additionally, why Fedora 20? It is end of life and hardware support for your AMD chipset may well be much better in Fedora 24/25.

FYI - USB2=up to 480MB/s
USB 3.0 (SuperSpeed as your notebook should support)=up to 625MB/s

For what it's worth I can't advise as to whether my own systems reach the maximum transfer rate for the USB specification. The read write speed of the devices connected are not fast enough to do so. The Sandisk USB3 drive does however max out at it's specified 150MB/s

Tags
reality, theoretical, usb