Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th July 2013, 04:57 PM
billybob linux Offline

linuxfirefox
Scribus

Can I kickstart this sub-forum by suggesting Scribus

http://scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

I have not done a lot with Scribus yet, but for publishing it looks good and yes, it is open source..
Old 7th July 2013, 05:01 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxfirefox
Re: Scribus

I have not used Scribus before, but it is used typically used for Typesetting - correct?

At least, that's been the impression I usually get.

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 7th July 2013, 05:11 PM
billybob linux Offline

linuxfirefox

Yes, although typesetting in the traditional way: (see link)
https://publishingterms.wordpress.co...6/typesetting/

Has now pretty much given way to desktop publishing, Scribus is open source desktop publishing.
Old 2nd September 2013, 06:38 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

The lines between "desktop publishing", "word processing", and "typesetting" seem kind of blurred to me. Modern office suites like LibreOffice should probably be considered desktop publishing software. Typesetting software like LaTeX, troff, and Lout have the same layout capabilities as programs like Scribus, but they just lack the WYSIWYG interface (which seems to be a requirement to be "desktop publishing"). So in that sense something like LyX comes a bit closer.

In my opinion the distinctions are not that important, since in all cases the output is similar. The user interface seems more a matter of taste than anything.
OS: Fedora 25 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:38 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Retired Adminstrator

linuxfirefox

Word-processors, (hard-copy) document-processors, slide-show software, desktop publishers, and high-end general-purpose drawing software are essentially all targeted uses of a layout and typesetting engine, with interactive features as necessary. Back when I still used GUI office software regularly (I avoid them for LaTeX and ConTeXt these days), it always baffled me why there had to be arbitrary limits on the capabilities of the typesetting in a slide versus a word-processed document, or or why the layout features of the word-processor were so tedious. I can understand different interfaces, but a common engine in an office suite just seems sensible to me. Why have a distinction between a text frame and an embedded word-processor frame etc. I don’t know how things are now with LibreOffice.

EDIT: And yes, I know that the answer in MS’s case was to sell more software…
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:30 AM
jimj_wpg Offline

linuxchrome

Scribus beta 1.5svn is really coming along well.

It won't be long now until it becomes a strong competitor against InDesign.
  1. A new Picture Browser makes importing images easieer (scale to image frame).
  2. More colour palettes included.
  3. PDF X/3 & 4
  4. Interface cleaned up
  5. A Properties Panel (on the right side) like in LibreOffice.
  6. A much improved Table creation tool, although not as refined as Indesign.
  7. Much easier to do Pagination. It should not be rocket since to paginate a document.
  8. Support for importing MS Publisher and a few other file formats, including IDML.

Last edited by jimj_wpg; 23rd February 2016 at 09:42 AM.

Tags
scribus