Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd December 2009, 04:46 AM
duckshepherd Offline

linuxsusefirefox
Fedora12 Bootloader Installation

For some reason I am unable to change the installation location for the boot loader when installing Fedora 12 in the graphical installation mode. The 'Change device' button does nothing when I click on it during installation. I'd like to install the boot loader on my /boot partition. Is there some kind of bug that is preventing me from doing this? I am trying to install from the Fedora 12 386 DVD.
Old 2nd December 2009, 05:03 AM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckshepherd

Is there some kind of bug that is preventing me from doing this?
Hello duckshepherd,

If there is, then this is the first thing I've heard about it. I have installed Fedora 12 several times, and each time I clicked that button to install GRUB in the first sector of the boot partition. So the only things that came to my mind were the integrity of the downloaded ISO file, the integrity of the data on the disk, or the optical quality of the disk.
Old 2nd December 2009, 05:42 AM
duckshepherd Offline

linuxsusefirefox
I tried the media check for my installation DVD, said it was fine. I'm gonna redownload the ISO file and make a new disk, see if it fixes the problem.
Old 2nd December 2009, 05:52 AM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckshepherd

I tried the media check for my installation DVD, said it was fine.
That media check feature of Anaconda uses an obscure little utility known as checkisomd5 to generate a hash to compare against a hash embedded in the disk. It can verify the data as good or bad. A disk can have perfect data and still flunk the media check if it is of poor optical quality. Use the highest quality blank disks that you can find. Sometimes, slowing the burn speed to say, 1/2 max for the disk, can help a disk of low optical quality squeak by.
Old 2nd December 2009, 08:50 AM
duckshepherd Offline

linuxsusefirefox
haha, I just figured it out. For some reason the 'Change device' window opened up on the analogue output of my monitor. I have both my Digital and Analogue cables plugged into my monitor from my video card. I guess it was treating my monitor as two different monitors in one. I usually keep both analogue and digital plugged in at the same time for convenience to switch between modes when Digital for whatever reason doesn't work when I first boot.

Tags
bootloader error, fedora 12 bootloader