Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 18th July 2006, 03:56 PM
John_Z Offline

Ok guys, I've finally got Fedora Core 5 working!

I disabled Kudzu so FC5 boots perfectly now. But I have 6 major how-to's:

1. First thing's first, I need to change the resolution. I hate 640 x 480, and I want to change it to 1280 x 1024 right away. However, I cannot change the resolution as root in the Display options or Screen Resolution option. Is there anyway to change it in a terminal as root?

2. Second, I need to know more about installing ATi drivers and whatever is needed to do that.

3. Third, I'd like to know how to see a feature I just installed through yum and if it's working (for example, the anti-virus I installed through yum that's detailed on the first page of the how-to thread).

4. Fourth, is anything installed through yum going to stay there or is it just a one-time thing?

5. Fifth, how do I install web-based plug-ins like Flash, Java, etc.?

6. How to I create other user accounts beside root?

That just about covers it. If I have more questions I'll post them. Thanks.

Last edited by John_Z; 18th July 2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 18th July 2006, 06:56 PM
Firewing1 Offline

1. This is probably because you need ATi drivers for you card. See #2.

2. Type:
Code:
su -
rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release5.rpm
yum install kmod-fglrx
Now, if you'd like to configure your displays, type into a terminal:
Code:
system-config-display
3. Well, if you mean run the program you just installed, then simply look at your Gnome or KDE menus, and it should be listed there. If it's not, then try running it's name into a terminal. For example, if I just installed yumex then 'yumex' runes yumex. This isn't the case for all programs, but usually is. If you mean you just want to see info about your program, then
Code:
rpm -qi packagename
will do you well.

4. Nope - When yum install something, it installs the RPM package and it stays on your system until you remove it.

5. For Flash, simply type:
Code:
su -
setenforce 0
and then browse to a site that uses flash in Firefox. It will notify you plugins are needed, install flash, restart firefox. You should be set. As for Java, there are many howtos here - just search. Basically you have to install the pacakge from java.com and then link the plugin to Firefox.

6. Let's install an easy-to-use GUI tool:
Code:
su -
yum install system-config-users
This installs the system-config-user program - Now, whenever you'd like to edit / add users, simply type:
Code:
system-config-users
Firewing1

Last edited by Firewing1; 18th July 2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 18th July 2006, 07:21 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

You forgot to mention for #2 he will need his Livna repo activated.

I would suggest also going to:
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...ion_notes.html

This is well worth the looksee, especially for a newbie. Heck, even us more advanced users refer to it now and then. This will give you a good overview of yum, repos, ati and nvidia drivers, truetype fonts, flashplayer plugins and all kinds of other neat things.
Old 18th July 2006, 08:38 PM
Firewing1 Offline

That's true, I updated the post so it installs Livna.
Firewing1
Old 18th July 2006, 09:58 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Also, to give credit where credit is due you should check FIREWINGS links in his signature. His how-to's have helped me a great deal as they have many other newbies. I am especially gratefull for his networking guide. It is people like this that make FC one of the leading Linux distros out there and THE best Linux community.
Old 18th July 2006, 11:59 PM
John_Z Offline

Thanks gus, but I'm still experiencing a lot of problems:

1. I can't install Flash because there's no 64-bit support (I have an AMD64 processor).
2. Java isn't installing.
3. Fedora Core 5 will sometimes randomly freeze and lock-up, forcing me to hard reboot.
4. Anytime I try to access an image (like a .jpg or .png file from Wikipedia) in Firfox, FC5 will crash, forcing me to hard reboot.
5. I can't keep my default 1280 x 1024 to stay once I logout.

The ATi drivers look like they're installed, and I've created other user accounts too. Also, do you guys know of any C/C++ compilers that will work with Linux?
Old 19th July 2006, 12:50 AM
Firewing1 Offline

These are common with the 64-bit version of Fedora
Unfortunately, while 64bit seems like a good idea, many things like your Firefox flash / java plugin won't work properly, media codecs don't work so well either (probably the cause of your image crashes), there's a few more common complaints.

Firefox is solvable with a bit of tweaking, but the reality is that it isn't worth the time.

To get a big speeed boost, your applications will need to be multi-threaded. Because most applications these days are still single-threaded, you won't see much of a speed boost when comparing 64 and 32 bit. Besides that, you get all these problems, headaches and disadvanteges in 64 bit. If you can, I would re-install Fedora 32-bit version (that's the i386 ISO's) and then this should be solved pretty quickly.

Anyways, besides that ranting ( ) there's gcc, a free C / C++ compiler:
Code:
yum install gcc gcc-c++
Now just use:
Code:
gcc file.c -o executable_name
to turn file.c into executable_name
Firewing1
Old 19th July 2006, 01:01 AM
John_Z Offline

Yeah, I think I'm going to install the 32-bit version. Linux has caused me more frustration than Windows and programming combined. I basically haven't benefitted from the 64-bit version, I'm not satisfied with it, almost none of the applications work, and I can't do anything online. I think I've rebooted at least 30 times today. Also, the ATi drivers aren't working and all of the 3D games I try to play (like Nexuiz and Cube) run like crap.

I'm going to delete the current ISO's I have on the CD's now and download the 32-bit ones. Now are you sure the 32-bit FC5 will work with my AMD64 processor? Because I don't want to go through another hassle like this ever again.
Old 19th July 2006, 01:19 AM
Firewing1 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Z
Yeah, I think I'm going to install the 32-bit version. Linux has caused me more frustration than Windows and programming combined. I basically haven't benefitted from the 64-bit version, I'm not satisfied with it, almost none of the applications work, and I can't do anything online. I think I've rebooted at least 30 times today. Also, the ATi drivers aren't working and all of the 3D games I try to play (like Nexuiz and Cube) run like crap.

I'm going to delete the current ISO's I have on the CD's now and download the 32-bit ones. Now are you sure the 32-bit FC5 will work with my AMD64 processor? Because I don't want to go through another hassle like this ever again.
Yup - All 64-bit processors are backwards compatible so your 32-bit Fedora will be running at full speed! And, I also use the programs you mentioned above and they've all worked right away on every 32-bit computer I try them on - So I don't think you'll have another problem like this
Firewing1
Old 19th July 2006, 02:45 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

I am running an Athlon X2 4800 in this box and 2800 and 3200's in others. All 64 bit, all running 32 bit FC5. No problems. Please, if I can give you any advice, just dont jump to conclusions when something doesnt work right or at least like you expect it to. Things can be a little tricky to set up and there are usually many ways to do the same thing. I was going to suggest running 32 bit Firefox with 64 bit FC, that seems to cure most problems. But swapping to 32 bit is probably the best choice you can make. Just take things one at a time and dont get discouraged when you get hung up. Once you get things rolling smoothly you will love FC5.
Old 19th July 2006, 05:29 AM
bigpoppa Offline

Greetings, I just installed VNC server and viewer on my FC5 server and on my Windows XP workstation at home but I have a problem. This error message keeps popping up when I attempt to connect to my server from my house. Keep in mind my server is at the church.

"Unable to resolve host by name: The requested name is valid and was found in the database, but it does not have the correct associated data being resolved for. (11004)."

I went to the VNC troubleshooting page but it didn't help any. Any suggestions on how I fix this problem?
Old 19th July 2006, 07:38 PM
John_Z Offline

Ok, I have the 32-bit version but I'm still encountering a couple of problems (and some new ones too). First I install the ATi drivers by following the directions above, and I try to go into system-config-display...it crashes. I'm forced to hard reboot and go back into Fedora Core 5. Now when I installed the drivers, the newest Linux kernel (2.17) installed too. I get past the local login, but then my monitor automatically turns off with a "No signal" alert. When I turn it back on, the screen is black, and then the monitor turns off again. I have a Westinghouse LCD monitor, and it's never caused me any problems (it's working perfectly fine in WinXP now). Does the ATi drivers or kernel update have something to do with this? Thanks.
Old 19th July 2006, 08:56 PM
Lopov Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
I am running an Athlon X2 4800 in this box and 2800 and 3200's in others. All 64 bit, all running 32 bit FC5. No problems. Please, if I can give you any advice, just dont jump to conclusions when something doesnt work right or at least like you expect it to. Things can be a little tricky to set up and there are usually many ways to do the same thing. I was going to suggest running 32 bit Firefox with 64 bit FC, that seems to cure most problems. But swapping to 32 bit is probably the best choice you can make. Just take things one at a time and dont get discouraged when you get hung up. Once you get things rolling smoothly you will love FC5.
Yeah that's what I'm running the 32 bit firefox with my 64bit FC5 and it seems to work fine. The only thing left I would like is for my logitech mx1000 mouse to be recognized by xorg.conf properly so I can use "all" the buttons on it. I have the 2 thumb buttons working but I really would like the middle thumb button to be recognized also.
Old 19th July 2006, 09:49 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Z
Ok, I have the 32-bit version but I'm still encountering a couple of problems (and some new ones too). First I install the ATi drivers by following the directions above, and I try to go into system-config-display...it crashes. I'm forced to hard reboot and go back into Fedora Core 5. Now when I installed the drivers, the newest Linux kernel (2.17) installed too. I get past the local login, but then my monitor automatically turns off with a "No signal" alert. When I turn it back on, the screen is black, and then the monitor turns off again. I have a Westinghouse LCD monitor, and it's never caused me any problems (it's working perfectly fine in WinXP now). Does the ATi drivers or kernel update have something to do with this? Thanks.
OK, I run Nvidia and have no experience with ATI. But until someone better comes along...I take it you are fine running in vesa...when you first booted after install without the ATI driver? If you can get into /etc/X11/xorg.conf as root scroll down to "section device" and there you will see what video card driver you are running. You may have to manually edit this to read whatever the ATI driver is named, maybe fglrx...You will have to find out. Then save your change. I have also checked display settings/ hardware/ monitor type for your Westinghouse monitor. They dont list ANY Westinghouse monitors. You should either use the generic or find a manufacturer that is similiar, say Westinghouse buys it's monitors from someone else and just relabels them. Once you get this set up your resolution choices should increase.

edit: BTW, if you cant get X to start to make any changes just go to "sessions" on the log in screen. Select "failsafe terminal" and log in as root. In the terminal type "system-config-display" and this will bring the display GUI up. You can select "vesa" under driver and this should get you back to where you can run in X. You can also get into xorg.conf or any file from the terminal by "kwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf" Or use any editor in place of kwrite such as nano. This will allow you to see what changes took place in xorg.conf that you made in display proprities.

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 19th July 2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 19th July 2006, 10:28 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopov
Yeah that's what I'm running the 32 bit firefox with my 64bit FC5 and it seems to work fine. The only thing left I would like is for my logitech mx1000 mouse to be recognized by xorg.conf properly so I can use "all" the buttons on it. I have the 2 thumb buttons working but I really would like the middle thumb button to be recognized also.
I'm running the Logitech duo myself. I havent tried to configure any hot keys or the extra mouse buttons though. Hell, I never used them under Windows either. I'm just playing around now after reading your post and some keyboard buttons work! Most dont My biggest pet peeve is with my KVM switch I will sometimes lose my scroll wheel on the wireless mouse when switching back and forth between computers until I reboot. Funny enough it seems to be a Linux kernel issue as some kernels do it and some dont. I just upgraded to 2145 (I think, they roll out so fast...) and have had no issues yet.

Tags
answered, guide, linux, questions, resource, ultimate