Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th May 2017, 01:19 PM
dcrdev Offline

windows_7chrome
Quick Help with GDB

I'm in the process of packaging an application for Fedora - unfortunately it's not working and there's nothing revealing in the logs apart from listing the method that's failing.

I'd like to use gdb to debug the issue, but I'm not familiar with it at all. Could someone briefly explain to me how I can set a breakpoint in a particular source file provided by the debuginfo package.

Currently it's not really recognising what I'm trying to do - I just get "Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) y" and it never breaks.

I've been searching the web for quite some time and have found virtually nothing on using debuginfo packages to set breakpoints. Would really appreciate a quick point in the right direction!

Many Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:26 AM
nobody Online

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Question Re: Quick Help with GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrdev View Post
I'm in the process of packaging an application for Fedora - unfortunately it's not working and there's nothing revealing in the logs apart from listing the method that's failing.
Would be nice to post to us the (at least) the whole failing log, so we can get the grasp of the problem. The ideal case should be to see the script you are using (I expect you use bash shell script for packaging).

In such the case GDB is not the best tool to be used (rather for C applications/user space C code, compiled with option -g/debug info/symbol table to be embedded into .exe code).

_nobody_
Old 22nd May 2017, 01:12 PM
dcrdev Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: Quick Help with GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Would be nice to post to us the (at least) the whole failing log, so we can get the grasp of the problem. The ideal case should be to see the script you are using (I expect you use bash shell script for packaging).

In such the case GDB is not the best tool to be used (rather for C applications/user space C code, compiled with option -g/debug info/symbol table to be embedded into .exe code).

_nobody_
Yeah I think you misunderstood me - the packaging process was not not failing, the build was not failing and the rpm, srpm and debuginfo packages were all being spat out. The problem was that the resultant package was just not working, the package in question was actually a plugin for another application; one that was not spitting out any meaningful debug information beyond the name of the C++ method that it was faltering on.

So yes a debugger would have been the best option, the binary in question was being compiled with the debug symbols and I had installed the resultant debuginfo package. I never did get it working though it just spat out random characters. I have never used gdb before and would have liked to figure it out.

In the end I attached strace and pinpointed the source of the problem to the build not having access to the OpenGL header files and for some reason the build was succeeding anyway.

I have it all working now though.

Tags
gdb, quick