Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st March 2017, 05:49 PM
romu70 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Question How to start on MacbookPro 13,1

Hello,
I've just got a MBP 13 2016 because I need to run some specific software only available on macOS. But I would like to install Fedora as a double boot and keep the best of both worlds.

This MBP has no USB connector, only 2 USB-C. I connected a Dell A200 adapter and was able to burn a USB stick thanks to the Fedora Media Writer on macOS.

When I start the Mac and press Alt, I see 3 options:
- Fedora Media
- EFI Boot
- EFI Boot

I get the same behavior for those 3 options: I see "Start Fedora 25 Live" and when I activate it, the USB stick blinks for few seconds and the Mac shuts down.

Any idea about what's going on?

Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2017, 01:12 AM
chrismurphy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: How to start on MacbookPro 13,1

This is probably going to be tricky...

Edit the first boot entry "start Fedora...." by pressing e. And then navigate to the linuxefi line, and find at the end of that line rhgb quiet and delete both. Then F10 or control X to boot. You should get some idea of where it's failing.

I'm going to bet dollars to donuts that this is USB-C / USB 3.1 Gen 1 / Thunderbolt 3 / PCIe confusion. I'm having this problem on a USB-C only HP. What's going on is, the port is really a PCIe port until there's an adapter. And this instantiates correctly later in the boot process, but does not happen correctly if the adapter is already plugged in when the adapter is connected. But we have totally different hardware so you may have a totally different problem. But my guess is that's the issue so the long and short is this is probably going to be tedious.

Anyway, once you get to a dracut shell, it might be possible to connect a USB-C to Ethernet adapter, plug in a wired connection (I know seriously) and then do this:

Code:
dmesg | fpaste
And you'll get a url to write down somewhere. That URL hopefully will contain all the kernel messages for booting and figure out WTF is going on between the kernel and these ports.

There's been a metric asstonne (this is an SI unit) of PCIe changes and also Thunderbolt 3 stuff, in recent kernels so it might turn out we need to get you to try Fedora 26 Alpha candidate (yes I know seriously) to use a newer kernel that might have a relevant patch.

You've already resized the volume in Disk Utility first? Definitely do not let the Fedora installer resize/shrink. It'll cause total data loss on the macOS side. So you can do that in the meantime.
Old 22nd March 2017, 09:33 AM
romu70 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thanks a lot.

I didn't find "rhgb" in the startup script, only quiet. I didn't find a way to press Ctrl+x, nothing seems to be wired to the Ctrl key, so I pressed Fn+F10.

Then, the USB stick started to blink for few seconds and nothing more blank screen, no trace at all.

I'll give F26 Alpha a try and if it doesn't work, I'll use Fedora through a virtual machine.

I'll post the F26 results asap.
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:06 AM
romu70 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

For those who may be interested in running Fedora on the 2016 Macbook Pro, there is a GitHub repository which collects all the needed information: https://github.com/Dunedan/mbp-2016-linux

I'll switch to a virtual machine. Linux status on those new Mac is too bad for the moment.

Tags
macbookpro, start