Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd September 2016, 06:42 PM
sb73542 Offline

linuxfirefox
How stable (or not?) is Rawhide?

Hi there,

I've been eyeing Fedora, and specifically Rawhide. A few questions:
  1. What has everyone's experience been running Rawhide? How stable is it?
  2. How often are there broken packages and/or missing dependencies?
  3. How often do programs break after upgrades?
  4. Can anybody compare it to openSUSE Tumbleweed?
  5. Can anybody compare it to Arch?
  6. To what extent is openQA used?
  7. What about Branched?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 22nd September 2016, 10:41 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome
Re: How stable (or not?) is Rawhide?

Less stable than Arch the last time I used it, which was probably a year ago. It's where a lot of stuff gets tried out, and those who use it will file bug reports so things can be fixed. It will also lack a lot of the multimedia things because, rpmfusion often won't have packages for it yet.

That being said, it's certainly usable. However, if you're not used to Fedora, you might want to try a regular release, or at least an alpha or beta, first, just to get used to what a working install should be doing. Fedora puts things in its own places--it depends what you've used before.
Old 22nd September 2016, 10:50 PM
joncr Offline

linuxchrome

I don't think this can be answered except anecdotally. So, anecdotally, I've had times I couldn't install it. Other times it ran decently for a few weeks before annoying me.

What's going on with the upstream packages in Rawhide will have an impact. Obviously, if you use packages of reliable products that see little or no change from upstream, you'll probably have a smoother ride than if you use something that's in rapid development.

Also, every so often Fedora jumps into a Big New Thing during its development cycle. Like systemd or a brand new installer, the first release of Gnome 3, etc., well before they see the light of day in any other distribution.

My understanding of Tumbleweed is that it's something of a periodic snapshot that does undergo, as an entity, some amount of testing before release. I don't believe this happens in Rawhide. That begins after it's branched.

I often jump into new Fedora releases early in the alpha stage. Stuff happens, but usually they've been usable enough to stay with.
Old 23rd September 2016, 03:11 AM
sb73542 Offline

linuxfirefox

Thanks a lot to both you for the clear answers.

Tags
rawhide, stable