Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th May 2016, 05:53 PM
geolab Offline

linuxchrome
install fedora 23 on imac

Hi
can you please tell me the best and easiest way to install fedora 64bit on a 2008 imac ? i want it to be the only os and delete completely macosx . I found only very old guides but every one has a different method.
Old 13th May 2016, 01:44 AM
chrismurphy Offline

macoschrome
Re: install fedora 23 on imac

Use 'dd' to write the ISO file to a USB stick. If this is on OS X, it'll go faster if you use a block size of 32K or bigger, e.g. bs=256K, and also write to the raw device for the USB stick, i.e. /dev/rdiskX rather than /dev/diskX.

If you're OK using default partitioning, the installer UI makes it pretty easy to "delete all" to free up the entire drive space by deleting all partitions.

The two things I suggest, add thermald from the COPR repository, and then:
systemctl enable powertop
systemctl enable thermald

Thermald you can use right away, you could hold off on enabling powertop until you have some experience with Fedora behavior on your laptop. For example on mine, I'm currently suspicious the optimization from powertop is causing wired ethernet to not wake up when the laptop wakes from sleep.
Old 13th May 2016, 04:09 PM
geolab Offline

linuxchrome

thank you but... that's it? no need to install refit or refind? just as easy as on a pc installation? no problem with boot? same /bot/efi partition as in pc? or should I format it in hfs+?
Old 2nd November 2016, 10:06 PM
AndyMender Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by geolab View Post
thank you but... that's it? no need to install refit or refind? just as easy as on a pc installation? no problem with boot? same /bot/efi partition as in pc? or should I format it in hfs+?
Thankfully, Fedora's installer knows what to do . Otherwise, yes, it's just a standard UEFI setup like for more modern non-Apple PCs.

Tags
fedora, imac, install