Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th December 2015, 02:30 AM
oakish Offline

linuxchrome
Never tried Fedora before, it's great

Wow, what a great distro. I'm a long time Linux user but have almost exclusively used Debian based distros. I am so glad I gave Fedora 23 a try. Very polished and up to date. I'll still stick with Ubuntu for servers though, due to LTS releases.

Many thanks to all those who make Fedora possible.
Old 12th December 2015, 03:41 AM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome
Re: Never tried Fedora before, it's great

Depending upon what you look for in a server, CentOS (as well as Scientific Linux) have even longer term support, CentOS-6 going to 2020 and CentOS-7 2024.

This can create its own problems, such as a version of php not working with something, but depending upon your needs can be a good thing.

That's if you think you prefer the Fedora way of doing things (though it might depend what things) . If you do, CentOS might be a viable server choice.
Old 12th December 2015, 04:10 AM
oakish Offline

linuxchrome

Thank you, smr54. I may just give CentOS a try. So far, I am truly enjoying the Fedora way of doing things. Wish I had tried it years ago. Thanks again.
Old 12th December 2015, 07:37 AM
djl47 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Sokath. His eyes uncovered.

Old 12th December 2015, 11:51 AM
joncr Offline

linuxubuntufirefox

A new release of CentOS (7.2, following on RHEL 7.2's release last month) is in the works. ISO images and such will be ready when they're ready, but in a week or so seems a reasonable guess.

Chasing down the RHEL 7.2 release notes will tell you what's changed. From a desktop user's point of view, the most obvious change is the move from Gnome 3.8 to Gnome 3.14.

Keep an eye on centos.org.
Old 12th December 2015, 03:02 PM
lsatenstein Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakish View Post
Thank you, smr54. I may just give CentOS a try. So far, I am truly enjoying the Fedora way of doing things. Wish I had tried it years ago. Thanks again.
Welcome oakish.

I used to run Ubuntu as a second distribution, but over time I let dropped it. I'm not sure why. Perhaps its because all other distributions appear to standardize on providing Gnome, xfs, Mate, etc, and some with common file systems. Ubuntu appeared as the odd-man out.

I use Chapeau23 Linux, and also Korora23 Linux, which are Remixes of Fedora, If you are a staunch desktop user or application developer, either is great. The Remix is the current Fedora version with the extras that Fedora can't directly include. (Yes, I promote these two Remixes, since it allows Fedora to compete with non-USA based distributions).

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Old 12th December 2015, 09:38 PM
oakish Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
Welcome oakish.

I used to run Ubuntu as a second distribution, but over time I let dropped it. I'm not sure why. Perhaps its because all other distributions appear to standardize on providing Gnome, xfs, Mate, etc, and some with common file systems. Ubuntu appeared as the odd-man out.

I use Chapeau23 Linux, and also Korora23 Linux, which are Remixes of Fedora, If you are a staunch desktop user or application developer, either is great. The Remix is the current Fedora version with the extras that Fedora can't directly include. (Yes, I promote these two Remixes, since it allows Fedora to compete with non-USA based distributions).
Thanks, lsatenstein. I may give Korora a try. I am a KDE user and it looks like it comes out of the box with the customizations/extras I need/want.
Old 12th December 2015, 10:33 PM
upnort Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Keep an eye on centos.org.
If only rpm fusion support were part of the 7.2 release.

Tags
fedora, great