Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th December 2004, 01:44 AM
toddcurry Offline

FC2 upgrade half-borked (from RH9)

***An upgrade that is half-baked and borked = half-borked?***

Long-time RH9 user, finally gave in to peer pressure to upgrade. I use a raid controller that doesn't yet have a driver for FC3, so I decided to go with FC2. Downloaded the DVD-ROM, and fired it up.

The upgrade process looked smooth. It upgraded all the packages I had.

Then it rebooted -- and all hell broke loose.

1. It looks like the old kernel is still loading (2.4.20-8), as the kernel loader says so... (however the bash prompt text later says Fedora Core release 2 (tettnang), Kernel 2.4.20-8 on an i686)

2. the modprobes all give errors, first in the hardware section, then for many (but not all) of the services. The error is:
modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/modules.dep (No Such file or directory).

3. I have to say "no" to most of the services to limp my way into Bash. When I do, I find that:

a. /boot does not have vmlinuz-2.4.20-8. It does, however have a vmlinuz (flashing red), and a vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358

b. /lib/modules/2.4.x-x does not have a modules.dep (as it said in the load process); however /lib/modules/2.6.5-x.x DOES have a modules.dep.

4. All my user files (substantial) are intact

5. My monitor goes black every 45 seconds for 1-2 seconds, and I lose control when it does so. It returns where it left. Strange. I am not booting up into graphical mode, btw.

I wonder if I simply need to compile the kernel (including the driver for my raid controller!!) to 2.6 -- perhaps the FC2 upgrade just skipped this step????

Can anyone advise on how best to get out of this mess one step at a time. I cannot afford to do a clean install on this system. I must keep my files intact.

Much obliged for any help!!

p.s., I did chicken out on a re-install when disk druid didn't understand my mount points. Looks like it doesn't understand lilo very well? I have a very simple setup, so I just got nervous and shut down that re-install.
Old 31st December 2004, 09:22 PM
toddcurry Offline

OK, from half-borked to almost-unborked.

I'm going to kill my own thread here, with a promise to post instructions on upgrading to fedora core 2 from rh9 for highpoint rr1820 users.

TC

Tags
fc2, halfborked, rh9, upgrade