Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th March 2015, 01:00 AM
Eric F Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
(blank) screenshots

Think I'm going to need som help with the screenshots. I first installed “vokoscreen” and tried that one, but all screenshots are empty, or accually they grabs the login screen (or the default desktop picture (same)) instead.

Here's a picture of vokoscreen with the magnifying glass. That gray('ish) area is part of the background in LightDM.

To rule out the program, I also tried with scrot. It grabs the same picture.

Any ideas?

Setup: Fedora 21 (32bit), Cinnamon in VirtualBox (4.3.24)
Old 8th March 2015, 07:53 AM
chepioq Offline

linuxchrome
Re: (blank) screenshots

I can see you use fedora 21 in VirtualBox.
With VirtualBox you use a generic driver for video, and may-be those drivers are not compatible with vokoscreen program.
Old 8th March 2015, 08:41 AM
Eric F Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepioq View Post
I can see you use fedora 21 in VirtualBox.
With VirtualBox you use a generic driver for video, and may-be those drivers are not compatible with vokoscreen program.
Been trying to sort this out now, and I'm kind of halfway through. It seems to be Cinnamon related.

printscreen, gnome-screenshot, vookoscreen... all are producing the “blank” images. But I think I've found a good explaination for that. Went through the Cinnamon issue tracker on Github, where 1 post suggested to first try the panel program: Desktop Capture. And that one did work.

So when I was reading through his issues, I found this one: https://github.com/rjanja/desktop-ca...mment-14122904, explaining why it doesn't work.

- - -

It's an ok/nice program so I can use that, even though I'd like to have a “program” (not an applet).

Screenshots are ok, and video to, but I can't seem to make the audio work when recording.

The applet, when using ffmpeg as back-end, is using: ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse ...
When reading the ffmpeg-wiki::capture alsa - I guess I have to go with the loop example if I want to record the sound of an audio player?

The line: modprobe snd-aloop pcm_substreams=1
The last part (pcm_str...) looks like it's something that needs to be added to grub, or added to another file if I want it to be persistent?

I haven't used alsa like this before, so I'd really appreciate if someone could give some input.
Old 8th March 2015, 03:11 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxfedorafirefox

So basicly you are saying that you have multimedia issues within a virtualbox.
Screenshots and videos are to be taken from the outside of the virtualmachine, makes that task quite alot easier.

Anyhow, about taking a screenshot:
Code:
import -window root screenshot.jpg
Personaly i never could get audio to work inside a virtualbox, i assume its for the same reason as one cannot use xrandr to get the screen resolution.

BTW, if you feel the command line for ffmpeg to become too complex, you might like my 'VHS' (see signature).

Hope this helps.
Old 8th March 2015, 11:53 PM
Eric F Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
So basicly you are saying that you have multimedia issues within a virtualbox.
Screenshots and videos are to be taken from the outside of the virtualmachine, makes that task quite alot easier.

Anyhow, about taking a screenshot:
Code:
import -window root screenshot.jpg
Personaly i never could get audio to work inside a virtualbox, i assume its for the same reason as one cannot use xrandr to get the screen resolution.

BTW, if you feel the command line for ffmpeg to become too complex, you might like my 'VHS' (see signature).

Hope this helps.
Thanks sea. I'll look at the VHS script. Well, not multimedia-issues. I guess to grab the application sound it's about how to configure the line properly. The issue seems to be Cinnamon, or more exactly how other programs (doesn't) work inside it. Like he mentioned in his post - something about the Cinnamon back-end.

I tried “import -window ...”, with same result. It grabs the boot screen, not the desktop. Just like scrot and the other ones. And after some time, it will grab the lock screen.

Audio and xandr is fine. Both are working.
Code:
$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 64 x 64, current 1280 x 880, maximum 16384 x 16384
VGA-0 connected primary 1280x880+0+0 0mm x 0mm
For the audio, perhaps I should go with Jack audio to route the appliction sound.
Old 19th March 2016, 03:06 AM
Eric F Offline

linuxfirefox

Just a note, in case it'll help anyone later… (ie. FTR)

There was an update to VirtualBox 4 in January: 4.3.36*
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_4_3

With that one (+ guest additions) and F23, the problem disappeared.

* I cant use the newer 5.* on my Mac.

Tags
blank, screenshots