Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th March 2015, 04:05 PM
bob p Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Question bad ELF interpreter when cross-compiling

Problem:

Code:
-bash: /usr/bin/rm: /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory
I'm running a 64-bit only deployment of F21 x86_64 on an AMD FX box.

I think I might have a toolchain problem when it comes to cross-compiling for ARM-6, but I'm not sure of the problem or how to fix it.

I'm trying to cross-compile a kernel and modules for an RPi using these instructions provided by CirrusLogic:

https://github.com/CirrusLogic/rpi-l...lding-the-code

The instructions on Github contain several trivial bash syntax errors. Ignoring them and proceeding with the compile, everything seems to work fine... that is there don't appear to be any major errors issued during the make.

My problem comes along when I port the new kernel and modules to the ARM-6 environment via SSH. Looking at Step 7 in the guide, the first indication of an error occurs on the last line of Step 7, where the tarball gets deleted. For some reason, the process of extracting the tarball seems to have killed the bash environment on the destination machine. The following error is issued:

Code:
# rm /tmp/modules.tgz
-bash: /usr/bin/rm: /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory
My best guess at the problem is that the ELF errors could be related to attempting to cross-compile 32-bit ARM-6 code on a 64-bit-only system. The make proceeds without a problem, it's just that the code breaks the destination box when I port it over.

I'm assuming that this has to be related in some way to the fact that I have a 64-bit only F21 install, and that I need 32-bit libraries in my toolkit, but I'm not sure which files are needed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 5th March 2015, 05:04 PM
Jean Pierre Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: bad ELF interpreter when cross-compiling

Quote:
Code:
# rm /tmp/modules.tgz
My best guess at the problem is that the ELF errors could be related to attempting to cross-compile 32-bit ARM-6 code on a 64-bit-only system.
/lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 looks like being a 32-bit interpreter (otherwise it would be fetched from /lib64)
You probably have a mismatch between the interpreter version known to your build environment and the one installed on the target machine. Check whether you do have an interpreter on your target machine and if so check its version :
Code:
ls -l /lib/ld-linux*
Old 5th March 2015, 05:21 PM
bob p Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: bad ELF interpreter when cross-compiling

Thanks for your interest.

As I mentioned earlier, the bash shell on the RPi is broken, so I'm not able to issue commands directly from within the RPi working environment.
My only option is to pull the SD card that contains the OS and read it on another PC.

Doing that, I get the following output:

Code:
$ vdir /run/media/bob/rootfs/lib/ld-linux*
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 10 Aug  1  2014 /run/media/bob/rootfs/lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 -> ld-2.18.so                                 
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 24 Aug  1  2014 /run/media/bob/rootfs/lib/ld-linux.so.3 -> /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3
It looks like there's a broken symlink when I mount the card on an exernal linux box -- in the symlink on the second line, "/lib/ld-linux-arhmh.so.3" is flashing.
Presumably this is because the path changes when the SD card is no longer the root environment. Beyond that, I'm having trouble making sense of the symlinks.

Tags
bad, crosscompiling, elf, interpreter