Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th November 2014, 09:45 AM
slopsbucket Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Thank You Cinnamon

OK, first off, I'm still running Ubuntu, but only 'til the new Fedora is officially released. Ubuntu's HDMI drivers are complete crap.

When it first came out in Fedora 16 I very quickly fell in love with the Gnome 3 desktop, it was so fast and so practical, 0 to Google in 17 seconds. But that is no longer the case. [Small bits of froth form at corners of mouth]

Those stupid stupid bastards, they had created something that was perfect. [Spital starts flying, small children run away] If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

There was an old dry joke many years ago - "What does the software engineer say about a program that works perfectly?" Answer - "Well.... obviously it doesn't have enough features yet.... " You stupid stupid bunch of completely useless.... [wife pulls plug on computer and makes me go into the garden and attack weeds until I calm down]

Recently [thanks to gnome and gnome shell] I started a thread in this forum asking for advice on different file browsers. One extremely useful bit of advice was to try Nemo, it was such a winner that I read a little bit about it and found out that it was created as the default file browser for the "Cinnamon" desktop environment so I thought "Why don't I give this Cinnamon a go?".

Thank you Linux Mint. Thank you Cinnamon Destop Environment. A very heartfelt Thank You to anyone who has had any input of any kind into the Cinnamon project. I've got my computer back. Everything works again!

My file browser is peachy, my favourite old newsgroup reader Pan, it works again. Firefox opens quickly. Thunderbird opens quickly. Libre Office opens in 1/4 of the time.

I don't know much about programming and I have no idea who is who in those sorts of circles but whoever has worked on Gnome in the last 3 years should be publicly strung up by their.... [wife threatens to pull plug again, more weeds are waiting]

OK, OK, after I ran out of weeds I worked out that what I really want to say is:- I'm very upset because I was given a fantastic new toy and then it was taken away from me. Cinnamon have given me back my toy and now all is good.

Cheers,

Andrew.

More than 40 Fedora installations in the area
because Microtoss really sucks.
Old 29th November 2014, 08:49 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxfirefox
Re: Thank You Cinnamon

The main person responsible for Cinnamon in Fedora is Leigh (leigh123linux).

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 29th November 2014, 08:50 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxfirefox

Moved to "Thank yous, positive feedback ...."

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 29th November 2014, 09:45 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxubuntufirefox

I've been using Cinnamon for a long time now and love it. I'm also liking Gnome 3. It is slowly maturing and is much better than it was in the past.
Old 27th November 2015, 02:38 AM
hiGuys Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Thank you Leigh (leigh123linux) - I finally got around to updating my betas to the latest F23 and the Cinnamon spin is really looking great now. Much improved and much appreciated!

Tags
cinnamon