Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st November 2013, 01:52 PM
alphacrucis Offline

linuxfirefox
Avidemux 2.6.6

Avidemux provide a script to compile from source and generate deb or rpm packages as per their wiki article here:

http://avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php...ld:install_2.6

After running bash bootStrap.bash --rpm it creates five rpm packages which I tried to install via yum install *.rpm but when I do that it tries to also download a package called avidemux-libs which is apparently a required dependency - but the problem is that the version of avidemux-libs in the rpmfusion repo pertains to the older avidemux version and yum reports that it is incompatible with the version I am trying to install. I guess I need a newer version of avidemux-libs but so far I don't know how to obtain that. I asked on the avidemux forums but no answer is forthcoming so far. I was wondering if anyone here had come across this problem and might be able to assist.

This is what yum says:

Code:
Dependencies Resolved

================================================================================
 Package       Arch   Version    Repository                                Size
================================================================================
Installing:
 avidemux3-core
               x86_64 2.6.0_r0-1 /avidemux3-core-2.6.0_r0.x86_64          6.6 M
 avidemux3-plugins-COMMON
               x86_64 2.6.6_0-1  /avidemux3-plugins-COMMON-2.6.6-0.x86_64 6.8 M
 avidemux3-plugins-QT4
               x86_64 2.6.6_0-1  /avidemux3-plugins-QT4-2.6.6-0.x86_64    531 k
 avidemux3-plugins-SETTINGS
               x86_64 2.6.6_0-1  /avidemux3-plugins-SETTINGS-2.6.6-0.x86_64
                                                                          120 k
 avidemux3-qt4 x86_64 2.6.6_0-1  /avidemux3-qt4-2.6.6-0.x86_64            4.4 M
Installing for dependencies:
 avidemux-libs x86_64 2.6.4-7.fc20
                                 rpmfusion-free                           3.4 M

Transaction Summary
Install  5 Packages (+1 Dependent package)
I enter y to proceed and I get a bunch of conflicts the first of which is:

Code:
Downloading packages:
Running transaction check
Running transaction test

Transaction check error:
  file /usr/lib64/libADM6avcodec.so.54 conflicts between attempted installs of avidemux3-core-2.6.0_r0-1.x86_64 and avidemux-libs-2.6.4-7.fc20.x86_64
  file /usr/lib64/libADM6avformat.so.54 conflicts between attempted installs of avidemux3-core-2.6.0_r0-1.x86_64 and avidemux-libs-2.6.4-7.fc20.x86_64
It also lists the same sort of conflicts between the avidemux-libs from the repo and the 2.6.6 packages listed above.
Old 1st November 2013, 02:34 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox
Re: Avidemux 2.6.6

Here's the rub: Fedora, and thus RPMFusion, rpm packaging guidelines require that the "libs" be packaged into a separate *-libs package. The rpm packages you created through the script does not split out the libs into it's own package, but rather just keeps the libs in the main rpm package, probably the avidemux3-core package. You can confirm this by using:
Code:
rpm -qpl avidemux3-core-2.6.0_r0.x86_64.rpm | grep .so
This is just one of many complications one runs into when attempting to install rpm packages into Fedora that are not packaged to Fedora's own packaging guidelines. One way to possibly get around your particular situation would be to circument all yum "dependency" requirements by, first, uninstalling any avidemux packages you already have installed from RPMFusion repos, then using rpm with the --nodeps option to install the package(s) you built.

That might also require manually installing some "dep" packages, and also might require you to add a line in your /etc/yum.conf file:
Quote:
exclude=avidemux*
Unless there is some pressing reason to have the latest upstream version of avidemux, it would be a whole lot simpler to just use what's offered now from RPMFusion.
Old 2nd November 2013, 04:27 AM
alphacrucis Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Avidemux 2.6.6

Thanks for your explanation. It does sound that it will be better to wait for rpmfusion to pick up the new version.

Tags
avidemux