Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th June 2012, 09:25 PM
akiross Offline

linuxfirefox
Icons and images disappeared, can't login in gnome shell

Hello!
I just installed F17, fresh install on my new laptop.
It worked great, but after some customization it started to do something bizarre: all icons of programs, such firefox, nautilus, etc, started to vanish (and a nice red X appeared instead), then the background image (default one) disappeared, leaving a nice blue screen.

In the login screen, wallpaper is vanished too, so I *guess* that is something system-wide and not realted to my user home directory. I didn't try to create another user and check if it worked for it.

Anyway, I guess that gnome-tweak-tool did something undesirable, as it was one of the last things I installed before starting to get this issue.

Now, when I log in, I can't see anything but the top bar. Trying to launch any program, will cause a fail message to appear (unrecoverable error), forcing to close the session.

I watched my .xsession-errors and contains things like

Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'image-missing' for stock: Unrecognized file format

I attached the full file in this thread if it may be useful.

I can't use the desktop in this situation, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
~Aki
Attached Files
File Type: txt xsession-errors.txt (9.6 KB, 411 views)
Old 5th June 2012, 05:40 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Icons and images disappeared, can't login in gnome shell

I don't use the gnome spin so I can't be much help. But since the messages show that *.svg files are considered an "unrecognized format" and *.svg probably should be a known format, I think you should investigate this problem first.

One possibility is that whatever library is supposed to be use to deal wih svg files is missing or corrupt. I think a greater possibility is that there is a file somewhere that tells the desktop manager (or things it uses like Gtk) what libraries it should use for various file formats and this file has gone bad. Here is an old discussion that is probably not accurate for current configurations but it suggests (post #2) that this type of problem can happen: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rd/+bug/799505
Old 5th June 2012, 09:00 AM
Da1hammer Offline

linuxfirefox
Wink Re: Icons and images disappeared, can't login in gnome shell

Akiross,
I had what seems to be a similar problem today, and it turned out that my mime types became corrupted. Anyway, I found another persons thread on another forum site (http://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/...msg417967.html) that mentioned what might be the problem, and how to solve!

As root (or sudo as I do ):
>#update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
>#chmod 664 /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache

(note: Please don't copy and paste the fake root prompt! and don't forget to re-boot!)

I hope this helps!

Da1hammer
Old 5th June 2012, 09:53 AM
akiross Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da1hammer View Post
Akiross,
I had what seems to be a similar problem today, and it turned out that my mime types became corrupted. Anyway, I found another persons thread on another forum site (http://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/...msg417967.html) that mentioned what might be the problem, and how to solve!

As root (or sudo as I do ):
>#update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
>#chmod 664 /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache

(note: Please don't copy and paste the fake root prompt! and don't forget to re-boot!)

I hope this helps!

Da1hammer
Great! It solved, thanks
Now, question is: how did this happen? It would be great to understand what caused this to avoid or fix the cause... But I've no idea. :S
Only things I did was to install gnome-tweak-tool, inkscape and synfigstudio. After launching synfig, I noted broken icons so I removed it, but the problem where elsewhere so everything else started to go bad.

As said tashirosgt, it seemed to be a svg-related problem, so... May it be that Inkscape or synfigstudio broke the mime database?

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll wait a bit before marking the thread as solved, better to find a cause before closing the issue

Thanks again!
Old 5th June 2012, 10:27 AM
Da1hammer Offline

linuxfirefox
Thumbs up Re: Icons and images disappeared, can't login in gnome shell

Akiross,
How it happened for me is that I was updating several packages like gthumb and synfigstudio, and b4 it finished with the updates, pics and icons started disappearing!, and so, I tried to get into Gnome 3 after a re-boot only to see the frownie face computer dialog each time, and, although XFCE4 still worked, it was a mess! Finally, I used KDE4, which uses a different set-up in many parts, but backgrounds, and many icons were just gone or had question mark icons in their place.

So, I think that it is faulty script in the synfigstudio rpm that is to blame, as the affected files in /usr/share/mime had a time stamp of when I updated the several pkgs. Here are the exact rpms I updated:

Jun 4 19:17:08 yum[9757]: Updated: openssl-1.0.0j-1.fc16.x86_64
Jun 4 19:22:11 yum[9757]: Updated: synfigstudio-0.63.05-3.1.fc16.x86_64
Jun 4 19:22:17 yum[9757]: Updated: synfigstudio-devel-0.63.05-3.1.fc16.x86_64
Jun 4 19:22:40 yum[9757]: Updated: openssl-devel-1.0.0j-1.fc16.x86_64
Jun 4 19:22:54 yum[9757]: Updated: gthumb-2.14.4-1.fc16.x86_64
Jun 4 19:22:59 yum[9757]: Updated: python-crypto-2.3-6.fc16.x86_64
Jun 4 19:23:18 yum[9757]: Updated: childsplay-1.6-6.fc16.noarch
Jun 4 19:23:24 yum[9757]: Updated: uhd-3.4.2-1.fc16.x86_64
Jun 4 19:23:28 yum[9757]: Updated: openssl-1.0.0j-1.fc16.i686

The mime types therefore have to be updated as said in my above post, which is what solved it for me!

Now it is back to wonderful wood on my XFCE desktop, as Gnome isn't doing textures at the moment.

Da1hammer
Old 5th June 2012, 09:55 PM
akiross Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da1hammer View Post
How it happened for me is that I was updating several packages like gthumb and synfigstudio, and b4 it finished with the updates, pics and icons started disappearing!, and so, I tried to get into Gnome 3 after a re-boot only to see the frownie face computer dialog each time, and, although XFCE4 still worked, it was a mess! Finally, I used KDE4, which uses a different set-up in many parts, but backgrounds, and many icons were just gone or had question mark icons in their place.
Uhm, interesting... We both had the issue after installing synfigstudio.
Shall we open a bug?

Meanwhile I'll close this thread as solved
Old 6th June 2012, 01:34 AM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiross View Post
Uhm, interesting... We both had the issue after installing synfigstudio.
Shall we open a bug?

Meanwhile I'll close this thread as solved
No need. synfigstudio-0.63.05-1 was at fault. The reason was the bundled mime that was not removed prior on installation resulting an overwriting of mime data. Sorry about that.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=821740
Old 7th April 2015, 10:31 AM
mikkeljohnsen Offline

macosfirefox

Had I just read a bit more careful. The solution is as written:

Quote:
update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
Old 18th May 2017, 11:04 PM
foxdoismil Offline

linuxfirefox

I had a lot of trouble till I found this solution.
I am posting to this old thread because the solution also worked well for the problem I had with a Centos 7 KDE workstation.

In order to generate enough material for search engines to find this thread I will make a short description of the problem:

I issued a "sudo yum update" on my Centos 7 Workstation desktop and after rebooting I could not see the Centos logo on the bottom of the screen nor the "user logo" on the login.

Click on the password box and it closes. Click on the user name again and I got a blank screen with the following text on the Center:

Oh no! something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please call the system administrator. some people may see as Please log out and try again.

What to do:
Check the boot log:
vi /var/log/messages

In my case I see lots of messages similar to the these:
May 18 17:01:05 username gnome-session: (gnome-shell:1472): St-WARNING **: Failed to load /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/noise-texture.png: Unrecognized image file format
May 18 17:01:05 username gnome-session: (gnome-shell:1472): St-WARNING **: Failed to load /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/message-tray-background.png: Unrecognized image file format
May 18 17:01:28 username gnome-session: (gnome-shell:1472): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_task_return_error: assertion 'error != NULL' failed
May 18 17:01:28 username gnome-session: (gnome-shell:1472): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_task_propagate_pointer: assertion 'task->result_set == TRUE' failed
May 18 17:01:28 username gnome-session: **
May 18 17:01:28 username gnome-session: Gtk:ERROR:gtkicontheme.c:4915:gtk_icon_info_load_s ymbolic_finish: assertion failed: (pixbuf != NULL)
May 18 17:01:28 username abrt-hook-ccpp: Process 1472 (gnome-shell) of user 42 killed by SIGABRT - dumping core
May 18 17:01:31 username gnome-session: (gnome-shell:1703): mutter-WARNING **: Failed to load background '/usr/share/backgrounds/gnome/adwaita-lock.jpg': Failed to open file '/usr/share/backgrounds/gnome/adwaita-lock.jpg': file or directory not found
May 18 17:01:31 username gnome-session: (gnome-shell:1703): mutter-WARNING **: Failed to load background '/usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/noise-texture.png': Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/noise-texture.png'

The solution as presented above as follows:
As soon as you get the non-working login screen use the Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or whatever combination is used on your distro) to open a plain text console login screen. Login as root and issue the following commands:

update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
chmod 644 /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
reboot

I hope this may help someone.

Tags
disappeared, gnome, icons, images, login, shell