Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th August 2011, 02:19 PM
Silpheed2K Offline

windows_7firefox
Not good, not good!

This is ridiculous what this thing can do. It would give whoever wields it, a ridiculous amount of capabilities.
I really wanted to hear some input from the security minded people of the fedora community. I'd love for everybody to weigh in on this thing.
It can fly in the sky without you really knowing it's there... all while hacking your wifi, it can redirect phone calls, and even launch DoS attacks.
My concern over this is, it's coming from an outfit that seems to be close-knit with the government, which is also concerning.
I'd also just like you all to give your opinions of the device.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...lackhat-drone/

Some are even playing these up as a good thing for emergency disasters, explaining its benefits.

Quote:
A drone could also be used to single out a target, using the target’s cellphone to identify him in a crowd, and then follow his movements
not good

Last edited by Silpheed2K; 9th August 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 9th August 2011, 03:51 PM
pete_1967

linuxfirefox
Re: Not good, not good!

Well, your calls, emails and pretty much everything else are already monitored, so this won't make the slightest difference. And yes, they can already track you through your mobile so no news there either. And sniffing Wi-Fi? Old news as well.

All this does is pack the equipment in a plane making it little bit easier to move around, but also lot more easier to spot if you're afraid that someone is monitoring you.
Old 9th August 2011, 04:24 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

(Note to self: In addition to SELinux and Firewall, purchase anti-aircraft gun.) Oops! Sorry 'bout your Cessna, it sure LOOKED like a drone!
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 9th August 2011, 05:13 PM
leigh123linux

linuxredhatfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
Well, your calls, emails and pretty much everything else are already monitored, so this won't make the slightest difference. And yes, they can already track you through your mobile so no news there either. And sniffing Wi-Fi? Old news as well.

All this does is pack the equipment in a plane making it little bit easier to move around, but also lot more easier to spot if you're afraid that someone is monitoring you.

Thats not new either.
Old 9th August 2011, 06:38 PM
Silpheed2K Offline

windows_7firefox

@pete_1967
You can argue it's not new, but that still doesnt make it okay. Also, it changes the aspect of how these things are done.
For instance, to single out a person and track them via a cell phone... you need data from GPS and phone providers... also asking phone companies to cooperate.
This just allows any one random person to follow and track you, hijack and redirect your phone calls, listen in on your phone call... leaving it all extremely convenient, bypassing lots of the hurdles that you'd normally have to go through to accomplish something like that.
Plus it can single you out and follow you around without you knowing it.

All the while completely capable to conveniently tap into any WiFi network it pleases and take data without you really knowing about it.

It's definitely not old news, it's a brand new piece of tech that makes abuse even easier and convenient.

You can write it off however you want but I definitely think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective if you're completely ignoring its potential uses.
Old 9th August 2011, 06:43 PM
MysticalDice Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silpheed2K View Post
This is ridiculous what this thing can do. It would give whoever wields it, a ridiculous amount of capabilities.
I really wanted to hear some input from the security minded people of the fedora community. I'd love for everybody to weigh in on this thing.
It can fly in the sky without you really knowing it's there... all while hacking your wifi, it can redirect phone calls, and even launch DoS attacks.
My concern over this is, it's coming from an outfit that seems to be close-knit with the government, which is also concerning.
I'd also just like you all to give your opinions of the device.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...lackhat-drone/

Some are even playing these up as a good thing for emergency disasters, explaining its benefits.

not good
looks pretty much scarry.
i live in holland, and most people considering privacy as something that does not excists anymore.

Euchelon?
Data Minning?
eveer heard of it?
In Rotterdam,, a big city,, is the complete centre covered with camera's
Old 9th August 2011, 07:09 PM
beaker_ Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
i live in holland, and most people considering privacy as something that does not excists anymore.
So what? Some of us do value their privacy. And how you conduct you nefarious activities is not my concern. But lets be frank, at 400', I'm confident that I can knock down their $6000 toy with my home made co2 laser cannon.
Old 9th August 2011, 11:51 PM
pete_1967

linuxfirefox

Quote:
@pete_1967
You can argue it's not new, but that still doesnt make it okay. Also, it changes the aspect of how these things are done.
For instance, to single out a person and track them via a cell phone... you need data from GPS and phone providers... also asking phone companies to cooperate.
This just allows any one random person to follow and track you, hijack and redirect your phone calls, listen in on your phone call... leaving it all extremely convenient, bypassing lots of the hurdles that you'd normally have to go through to accomplish something like that.
Plus it can single you out and follow you around without you knowing it.

All the while completely capable to conveniently tap into any WiFi network it pleases and take data without you really knowing about it.

It's definitely not old news, it's a brand new piece of tech that makes abuse even easier and convenient.

You can write it off however you want but I definitely think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective if you're completely ignoring its potential uses.
Nothing makes snooping okay, but it has been a fact of life for a long time now. This is just evolution of those techniques, nothing more, nothing less. And as Leigh said, putting that stuff into a plane is nothing new either. Did you know that you can buy miniature remote control helicopter with a camera for less than £60 from a shop around the corner? And if you see one flying, you won't know that it actually has video camera on it recording your every move. You can pretty much walk into any spy shop and by what ever surveillance equipment over the counter, no questions asked, and use it how you want.

All the things this thing can do, can be done sitting in a car, or with a netbook and a mobile phone already, this just lifts it off the ground in a smaller package than before. That it is a flying machine doesn't circumvent any laws governing surveillance by law and enforcement agencies. And we all know that criminals don't go asking permission to do their thing, be that by sitting in a car outside your house with a laptop or flying a remote controlled plane.

Crying about a R/C plane what carries this stuff is like pissing in the wind, whether it exists or not doesn't change the fact that you (we) lost our privacy long, long time ago. Computers and Internet just makes it easier to lose it, but they didn't start the process, just accelerated it. And the "spying" is already so deeply ingrained to every society that you can not do anything to get your privacy back unless you are willing to move to some remote mountain not telling anyone where you went, not carrying any communication equipment and never seeing other people again. And even then, chances are one day someone finds you by intent or accident and puff goes your privacy again.
Old 10th August 2011, 02:10 AM
Silpheed2K Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
Crying about a R/C plane what carries this stuff is like pissing in the wind, whether it exists or not doesn't change the fact that you (we) lost our privacy long, long time ago.
Well that's a very defeatist attitude to have in my opinion. Honestly, I respectfully disagree with your opinion strongly.
It's not crying or pissing in the wind. It's called being proactive and well informed.

I'm honestly seeing the docile, and pessimistic, opinions that accept this as a bit naive.
I've honestly got the feeling that all the people accepting it are tapped out and felt they've lost already.
Old 10th August 2011, 02:52 AM
stevea

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Well that's a very defeatist attitude to have in my opinion. Honestly, I respectfully disagree with your opinion strongly.
It's not crying or pissing in the wind. It's called being proactive and well informed.

I'm honestly seeing the docile, and pessimistic, opinions that accept this as a bit naive.
I've honestly got the feeling that all the people accepting it are tapped out and felt they've lost already.
Mostly agree. There are still a lot of spheres where we should have privacy and don't. We may have to throw DNS and TCP/UDP, all the email protocols on the trash-heap someday soon since protocols designed w/o security considerations are not worth much any more. Cell phone security is junk. Voip is junk. Even friggin' banks can't keep personal information private.

So we really need an entirely new model for security. You *need* to know, through authentication exactly where every packet comes from, and we need to know that only the intended recipient can decode the packet. This *sounds* a lot like https with certs and crypto, except you need certificates on both ends. How you teach 6 billion humans to become competent key-managers probably isn't insurmountable - tho' it will take some clever technology.

We also need some laws. The idea that the police can get a warrant, yank my disk drives, then a court require that I divulge the crypo keys is ridiculous, but it's currently the case. It's tantamount to asking someone to testify against themself.

Last edited by stevea; 10th August 2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10th August 2011, 06:42 AM
JamesNZ Offline

windows_7chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silpheed2k
Like Pete said it isn't new. And I doubt the practicality of this invention, forget the 400 ft, that's what binoculars are for!
Maybe we have lost already. The world is controlled by evil in human form, and I for one can't wait till The Day.

And I heartily recommend that you look further than the 6:00 news and find out the truth about history. Start with 9/11.

- Jesus