Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th September 2004, 09:50 PM
Pollo Offline

Finally

Im assuming that everyone on this forum has much more experience that I do....anyhow read on....

So for quite sometime I was contemplating to switch XP for some flavor of Linux to try it out and just in fact to get familar with that system. For quite sometime I didn't want to do it by myself and rather seek someone out to hold my hand.... well all my hands were out of the city/country/world... so I decided to grow some hair on my balls and did it myself... I kissed all of my XP goodbye and didn't even bother to save **** and installed FC2.. I bought 2 books 1 fedora 1 unix just to get familiar with the commands but to tell you the truth... I didn't even need them..

The hardest part was to press F12 in time during the Bios screen so you can change the disk boot seq to a CDrom instead of floppy ( I dont' have floppy drive).. anyways the rest was pretty self explanatory.. Partition/Reformat - Install - Boot - and wait for the cable guy to hook up your cable int ernet.. FC2 detected all devices in the system including my dell lcd/tv... Anyway I still gotta get my Cds to play music and DVDs , and to set up the printer but other than that everything works like a charm...

Just sharing the good experience im having so far in this totally new world ! Now I need to learn how to install those darn updates
Old 15th September 2004, 09:54 PM
superbnerd

please visit this fedora faq it will save you a lot of time.
oh and welcome to the fedora community!
Old 15th September 2004, 10:06 PM
imdeemvp Offline

and check out my helpful links too

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 15th September 2004, 11:01 PM
Shadow Skill Offline

Glad your transistion was so ###### smooth, at least some people have it nice and painless.

Please vote for this bug and help me make GAYT [Go As You Type ]a standard option in Firefox.
Old 15th September 2004, 11:09 PM
imdeemvp Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Skill
Glad your transistion was so ###### smooth, at least some people have it nice and painless.

thats not the case all the times....but i wish it was too

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

Do you know HIM?

Old 16th September 2004, 12:19 AM
stormzen Offline

Me Too (Mostly)

I even took a class on Unix to get a feel for the nuts and bolts of the OS, before I felt comfortable enough to install it on my main desktop. (Had been experiementing with Linux on the laptop for a while, now, getting a feel for the 'atmosphere' of *nix. Still trying to get a few things working... some things I can't seem to find documenation on... but other than that, all is well. (So far it is my favorite distro out of Debian (don't even go there), SuSE, and FC2. (I also tried Mandrake, but it seemed *too* simple for my needs.)
Old 16th September 2004, 12:26 AM
Pollo Offline

Thank you guys for the welcome. A few friends of mines who are .nix experts told me a long time ago... " the best way to learn any other OS is to get rid of all Windows evidence in your home.
Old 16th September 2004, 01:04 AM
Shadow Skill Offline

Heh I am not at liberty to do that since my desktop serves as the network controller, for my home network, and certain things just don't work right under Fedora. (Have yet to try and fight to get my tv tuner to work.) Most everything I want to do at this point does work and work well in Fedora. (I haven't tried any coding software yet, but I have all but solved my video playback issues )

Please vote for this bug and help me make GAYT [Go As You Type ]a standard option in Firefox.
Old 16th September 2004, 01:37 AM
imdeemvp Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollo
Thank you guys for the welcome. A few friends of mines who are .nix experts told me a long time ago... " the best way to learn any other OS is to get rid of all Windows evidence in your home.

very good advice!

Do you know HIM?