Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th March 2008, 09:39 AM
srdempster Offline

Borked upgrade from fed 8 to fed 9!

Don't laugh or say I told you so but fed 9's borked my laptop!I had a perfect working fed 8 and I just couldn't wait to try fed 9, I never learn as like to tinker with linux!!!
I have 3 options now reupgrade,reinstall or repair, my fed 9 boots but i have no log in screen just text screen aka terminal-style.
My home folder is preserved so'll need to protect that and need to export fav's from firefox and evolution email.
So what's my next step folks can i repair from terminal screen to get a gui log in or is it back up and repair/install??????

Help Steve
Old 27th March 2008, 09:54 AM
drunkahol Offline

I would re-install F9 Beta. If you're going to take forward (rash?) steps like you already have, why bother taking a backwards step when something goes wrong.

You may not have a working system right NOW, but the Beta does work when properly installed. I've not heard of any blocker issues and I'm running it on a spare partition on my desktop. The laptop will probably get it in the neck this weekend and get an F9 re-install.

Cheers

Duncan
Old 27th March 2008, 09:55 AM
leigh123linux

Moved to Fedora focus

Quote:
So what's my next step folks can i repair from terminal screen to get a gui log in or is it back up and repair/install??????

Reinstall F8 !!!!
Old 27th March 2008, 10:58 AM
srdempster Offline

Sounds ok not exactly what i wanted to hear, but how can i back up my home partititon.I want to save my bookmarks in firefox,my emails in evolution and all my doc's, music,etc. I can do it by usb stick 4gb,usb hard drive 250gb or dvd-rw?How to do it via text interface after root log in?Removable media is under etc/media ? but what commands to copy stuff across for back up???
Old 27th March 2008, 02:31 PM
Wizofos Offline

I would get a copy of Knoppix CD, boot that and copy your /home to a CD/DVD/usb stick. For future installs you might want to manually disk config as follows. I have been an IBM mainframe sysprog for 30+ years and we can pull the OS off a system and replace it by using something like this to keep your data and system files separated.

These are separate patitions. I normally reformat /boot, /, and swap partitions with every install. Also with Grub you can actually multi-boot by having several /boot partitions and labeling them. I don't do this but maybe someone who is better versed in that can address that here.

/boot = 100 meg
/ = 5-6 gig
swap = 2x memory
/home = what ever you have left but not less than 1 gig

By doing this I can do a full replacement/upgrade or Fedora without touching my data, only replacing the system files. Also keeps all my book marks and configs.
Old 27th March 2008, 04:06 PM
srdempster Offline

Looking around the net the commands will be cp -r /home/steve /media/nameofusbstick/ is that right??? or is it cp - /home/steve/*.* /media/nameofusbstick ?

Steve
Old 27th March 2008, 04:29 PM
zeiz Offline

I used to have problems with F8 and I even wrote here. Finally I got my F8 working and I love it.
Anyway F9 sounded so great that I tried to install it on 3rd logical drive of the 4th partition. It was just amazing how smooth the installation was compare with F8 that I could install only on 1st PP with F8's own bootloader.
Also I got correct display resolution, internet and sound working out of box! If the BETA is like this what a perfect thing should be F9 -RELEASE!
The only I don't know how to get KDE (only Gnome is a choice). Did somebody get KDE already?

Last edited by zeiz; 27th March 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 27th March 2008, 09:27 PM
AntMan Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdempster
Looking around the net the commands will be cp -r /home/steve /media/nameofusbstick/ is that right??? or is it cp - /home/steve/*.* /media/nameofusbstick ?

Steve
Just make sure you grab the hidden folders and files too.

Try:
Code:
cp -r ~/*. /media/nameofdisk
Old 28th March 2008, 10:46 AM
srdempster Offline

Well there's an interesting one i did the command and saw some hard rive activity for 15 min's and dir listed my home directory. After the reinstall and plugging the stick in it's not there! I have disk cloned the lvm partition my drive with acronis but fed 8 can't see it (yet?!) is there something i need to do now so i can browse it on fed 8??

steve

Tags
borked, fed, upgrade