Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 7th March 2008, 09:29 AM
bmvbab Offline

ok...i ran the scripts from teh source directly and it went thru fine, proxy and all....how is it that the same does not work when i create an rpm and install and run? does it have something to do in the way the scripts are converted into an elf executable by the build process?
Old 7th March 2008, 11:26 AM
leadgolem Offline

Wild guess says it's getting dropped when you go to a root terminal. Have you setup the proxy variable for root as well as your regular user? Try changing to root in a terminal with "su -" then echoing your proxy environmental variable.
Old 7th March 2008, 11:29 AM
bmvbab Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadgolem
Wild guess says it's getting dropped when you go to a root terminal. Have you setup the proxy variable for root as well as your regular user? Try changing to root in a terminal with "su -" then echoing your proxy environmental variable.
I have set it in /etc/bashrc and /root/.bashrc and Im running as root
echo shows them, Im able to exec from the source, but not when I compile and install and then run
Old 7th March 2008, 06:07 PM
leigh123linux

Hi Duli,

I have just tried the codec install and it installed mplayer-codecs-all-20071007-1.i386.rpm which I believe won't work with mplayer.x86_64.

Leigh
Old 7th March 2008, 09:16 PM
DCOH Offline

Duli, download and installed your easylife program and must say all went will and wish I'd had it months ago when trying to help setup a computer by phone. The person on the other end could have used this and saved me a lot of time.
Registered Linux user #432525
Linux Box # 337563
Old 7th March 2008, 10:00 PM
Duli Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve
Hello Duli:
The 64bit version worked well here

Added your EasyLife to my signature if that's okay with you?

Seve
Hello, Seve:

Quite an honor to be in you're signature, as well as in wayne's. :-)

edit: Now I see it's also in leigh's. So now I'm at all the masters. Cool.

Thanks
duli

Last edited by Duli; 7th March 2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 7th March 2008, 10:08 PM
Duli Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmvbab
duli, i tried making changes to the script to no avail, i dont understand something here...i tried the following:
1. set http_proxy in /etc/bashrc
2. set http_proxy in /root/.bashrc
They are exported and are visible on echo...

Still wget call from ur script does not seem to make use of the proxy at all.
But when i run things on the shell, its all fine.

Some pointers please...

Hello, bmvbab:

In order to fix this, please help me, as I've never used proxy before.

How do you setup proxy on Fedora? How does the system know you're using proxy? Is it always the same way you configure it, or is there many ways of doing it?

If it's on a file in /etc or something, I could pull that information as variables and then make easyLife use it.

If you can, please send me the proxy related config files.

Thanks,
duli
Old 7th March 2008, 10:13 PM
Duli Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCOH
Duli, download and installed your easylife program and must say all went will and wish I'd had it months ago when trying to help setup a computer by phone. The person on the other end could have used this and saved me a lot of time.
Hey, I'm glad it has worked for you!

Thanks, Duli.
Old 7th March 2008, 10:17 PM
Duli Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmvbab
ok...i ran the scripts from teh source directly and it went thru fine, proxy and all....how is it that the same does not work when i create an rpm and install and run? does it have something to do in the way the scripts are converted into an elf executable by the build process?
Hum, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the RPM creation process. It must be because a new instance of a bash session is created when you run it the normal way.

Please, help me narrow this a bit. Take a look at my last post to you in this thread.

Thanks
duli
Old 7th March 2008, 10:22 PM
Boricua Offline

Hi, I am having a problem running easyLife. In my work AMD_64 the program runs well, but not in my i686 32 bit home machine. When I launch the program from the menu or the desktop shortcut, I receive the message "Could not launch menu item; Failed to execute child process "-x" (No such file or directory)". However, if I try from a terminal (typing "easylife") the program asks for my root password (as it should) and then starts normally. I also tried typing "/usr/local/bin/easylife" (which is the full path in the menu icon) and the program again starts as expected. I uninstalled the rpm and re-installed again with the same result. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 7th March 2008, 10:45 PM
Duli Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123@linux
Hi Duli,

I have just tried the codec install and it installed mplayer-codecs-all-20071007-1.i386.rpm which I believe won't work with mplayer.x86_64.

Leigh
Yes, no doubt, Leigh. Two approaches, I think:

1 - Don't install mplayer-codecs-all when system is running x86_64 (since there are many others codecs packages and player that get installed by easyLife and videos do work +- fine);

2 - Install mplayer.i386, removing the x86_64 one if installed.

What you think would be the best option?

Thanks!
Old 7th March 2008, 11:12 PM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duli
Yes, no doubt, Leigh. Two approaches, I think:

1 - Don't install mplayer-codecs-all when system is running x86_64 (since there are many others codecs packages and player that get installed by easyLife and videos do work +- fine);

2 - Install mplayer.i386, removing the x86_64 one if installed.

What you think would be the best option?

Thanks!

I would go with option #1
Old 7th March 2008, 11:43 PM
Duli Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco_PR
Hi, I am having a problem running easyLife. In my work AMD_64 the program runs well, but not in my i686 32 bit home machine. When I launch the program from the menu or the desktop shortcut, I receive the message "Could not launch menu item; Failed to execute child process "-x" (No such file or directory)". However, if I try from a terminal (typing "easylife") the program asks for my root password (as it should) and then starts normally. I also tried typing "/usr/local/bin/easylife" (which is the full path in the menu icon) and the program again starts as expected. I uninstalled the rpm and re-installed again with the same result. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Hello:

I'm pretty sure it's not an easyLife issue, since I've just did a Fedora i386 fresh install here and tested it.

It seens to be an error that may occur on other situations: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=539495

I'm just sad I can't think of an alternative right now.

duli
Old 8th March 2008, 02:36 PM
Duli Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh123@linux
I would go with option #1
Yep. Install and maintain proper updates for mplayer.i386 at a x86_64 platform would require a major change in .repo files, which is not desirable.

Besides that, video support in mplayer is already pretty good. I think only rmvb videos won´t play on it without mplayer-codecs-all.

Anyway, I fixed the code. The package won´t get downloaded by x86_64 systems. At least we save the time and bandwidth.

Cheers,
duli
Old 8th March 2008, 05:26 PM
bmvbab Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duli
Hello, bmvbab:

In order to fix this, please help me, as I've never used proxy before.

How do you setup proxy on Fedora? How does the system know you're using proxy? Is it always the same way you configure it, or is there many ways of doing it?

If it's on a file in /etc or something, I could pull that information as variables and then make easyLife use it.

If you can, please send me the proxy related config files.

Thanks,
duli
Hi Sorry for the delay, http_proxy is the env variable to look for. If some one is using proxy then they should have exported http_proxy with something like http://www.proxy.com:8080
So for rpms u should be using --httphost=www.proxy.com --httpport=8080
If http_proxy is not set then we cannot do anything....

Tags
automated, configurations, easylife, fedora, installs