Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th May 2017, 10:22 PM
User808 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Suggestion to add grsecurety & firejail to Fedora

Hi.

I would like here to suggest on developers team of Fedora 2 things, in the aim to make Fedora more stronger:

1) why Fedora (& Redhat in general) omit grsecurity ?? Even Redhat not include it in Redhat Linux enterprise !! Currently Linux has only one REAL enemy that can destroy it, named rootkit. We can protect Linux from rootkit by grsecurity. grsecurity elevate Linux for highest sky. And as long Fedora currently is supersecure ditro. why it not including grsecurity ??

I installed Alpine Linux on my experimental laptop & it was promising. But unfortunately it is less suitable for non-server users like me: many packages not included .... It is excellent for servers .....
www.alpinelinux.org

What prevent Fedora from including grsecurity by default ? Fedora my knowledge I got that chief side effect of grsecurity is it's interference with closed source VGA drivers, but Fedora not use them by default & in fact dislike such drivers .....

2) firejail not including in fedora repositories nor in rpmfusion repositories !! Why ? It is powerful security tool compatible with SELinux ......

Let we imagining: Fedora with SELinux + grsecurity + firejail !!! Then what it will be ?? It will be Fedora Sofia Lorine or Marlin Monrow
Old 19th May 2017, 07:53 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: Suggestion to add grsecurety & firejail to Fedora

completely the wrong place to make those suggestions. this forum is not officially connected to fedora project and the section you've posted in is only for forum feedback.

The COPR version maintainers may have already tried submitting these packages for inclusion. you could make contact with them and find out.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:05 AM
User808 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Sorry for this mistake.

Indeed, COPR repositories add these 2 packages:

1) grsecurity:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...yj/grsecurity/

2) firejail: (3 packages: only one succeeded !)

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...senb/firejail/

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...chew/firejail/

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...oada/firejail/

1st one of above 3 link seem to be O.K

----------------------------------

1) please your kind advice about firejail links .......

2) are these 2 packages possible to be on Fedora official repositories or RPMFusion repositories ?

3) it will be better if grsecurity included by default in kernel of official Fedora, isn't it ?
Old 19th May 2017, 11:35 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

I have no experience with any of these packages so can't advise which of the 3 firejail builds is good to use.

Again, regarding inclusion of the packages you will have to ask the people who built them for COPR what they have done about this if anything.

In my view, not an official stance as I'm nothing to do with Fedora package selection - firejail is more likely to be accepted than grsecurity because of the paid commercial support grsecurity developers want business users to purchase on their website. so while the code of both applications is offered via different levels of GPL license it is debatable whether grsecurity meets Fedora's inclusion policy anyway. RPMFusion nonfree would be more suitable for grsecurity
Old 19th May 2017, 05:05 PM
User808 Offline

linuxsafari

grsecurity is the ultimate security solution for OS. I'm wondering that it's use will be smoth if not included in kernel by default. I'm not sure. What will happen if I installed grsecurity, say, from RPMFusion repository in future then received knew kernel ? Does grsecurity will integrated with new kernel ?
Old 19th May 2017, 07:36 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by User808 View Post
grsecurity is the ultimate security solution for OS. I'm wondering that it's use will be smoth if not included in kernel by default. I'm not sure. What will happen if I installed grsecurity, say, from RPMFusion repository in future then received knew kernel ? Does grsecurity will integrated with new kernel ?
that depends if it can support such an upgrade by use of dkms. if it can and you have installed dkms then it should be fine.
Old 19th May 2017, 10:44 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxchrome

Just so you know - grsecurity patches, moving forward, will not be publicly available. It will be available only to their paying customers.

So, even if you use the COPR, once the kernel is updated, GRSecurity is out ...

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 19th May 2017, 10:57 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox

Well, let's at least move this over to Using Fedora, where the discussion can continue.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 19th May 2017, 11:01 PM
User808 Offline

linuxsafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
Just so you know - grsecurity patches, moving forward, will not be publicly available. It will be available only to their paying customers.

So, even if you use the COPR, once the kernel is updated, GRSecurity is out ...
How Alpine Linux work if grsecurity as you explained !
I understand support is paid but I do not understand further ...... .
Old 20th May 2017, 12:38 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxchrome

I have no clue about Alpine Linux. But, regarding GRSecurity, you can see here - https://grsecurity.net/passing_the_baton_faq.php

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 20th May 2017, 06:41 AM
User808 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
I have no clue about Alpine Linux. But, regarding GRSecurity, you can see here - https://grsecurity.net/passing_the_baton_faq.php
This is recent change made just at 27 April 2017 ! A great loss for Linuxers & Mac users !
Old 20th May 2017, 10:25 AM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I've been using heikoada-firejail for a long time. One nitpick is that you need to manually set the suid bit.
Old 20th May 2017, 11:11 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by User808 View Post
This is recent change made just at 27 April 2017 ! A great loss for Linuxers & Mac users !
That's why I wasn't sure about grsecurity being something that could be added as a fedora package in any form.
Old 20th May 2017, 11:57 AM
srakitnican Offline

linuxchrome

Grsecurity is not included in the kernel because developers newer bothered to submit it and as I got the impression developer doesn't necessarily wants it in the kernel.
Also, if we set commercial status aside for a second, grsecurity is most likely not suitable for inclusion to the kernel in its current state because it was not developed in a way that to reuse code for all CPU architectures etc. It works only on very targeted platforms as I've got the impression.

Firejail is in the review process: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1301286
Old 20th May 2017, 12:38 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

the review process seems to have stagnated though judging by the dates

Tags
add, fedora, firejail, grsecurety, suggestion