Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th May 2017, 08:37 AM
horizonbrave Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Question dnf update VS gnome software updates

Hi,
I'm a bit confused.
Gnome Software is able to tell me when an update is available and let me install it safely "offline" but after doing that if I run 'sudo dnf update' I still get notified of some updates available.
I've got the feeling that if I'm setting the computer for a friend/relative of mine they won't be able to keep the system updated by just following the Gnome Software notifications and they still to run dnf in the terminal every now and then.
Please am I wrong or did I just run into "glitches" or do you know if everything will feel a bit smoother in f26?
Cheers :)
Old 17th May 2017, 10:45 PM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome
Re: dnf update VS gnome software updates

to avoid such issues and more serious complications please only use one or the other, and certainly never use dnf from a terminal emulator inside GNOME.

this PSA explains what happens as a result of running both to check for and apply updates

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=311702
Old 18th May 2017, 01:03 AM
horizonbrave Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
to avoid such issues and more serious complications please only use one or the other
Thank you, I'll do that, but please do you know if by just using Gnome Software I would get ALL of the updates??
Cheers
Old 18th May 2017, 02:52 AM
Kobuck Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
...... and certainly never use dnf from a terminal emulator inside GNOME.
Wow!! I thought the offline update died off after lack of enthusiasm for the reboot. The Gnome terminal has served me reliably for 10+ years. Are you sure this is still really a "recommended practice" ??

What about terminal use of ssh to remote hosts??
Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ DEB armv7l
Old 18th May 2017, 07:31 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobuck View Post
Wow!! I thought the offline update died off after lack of enthusiasm for the reboot. The Gnome terminal has served me reliably for 10+ years. Are you sure this is still really a "recommended practice" ??

What about terminal use of ssh to remote hosts??
nope offline updates still happens by default and would update all packages if left alone.

remote ssh would probably work okay since you aren't running it through the active GUI on the machine itself. It may be prudent to check with Adam if the PSA still applies since he is the one who created it and also about the use of ssh connections.
Old 20th May 2017, 01:01 AM
horizonbrave Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
nope offline updates still happens by default and would update all packages if left alone.
good to know that all packages get updated.. maybe it's not as snappy as dnf in getting notified about new packages because all the times I tried to rely on Gnome Software alone, after rebooting the machine, a 'dnf update' would show me more packages available, letting me believe tha Gnome Software was updating them all (it could be related to the frequency of the upadates, since some of the systems where Fedora betas). Possibly if I gave Gnome Software more time it would show them as well, right? (that's the question/reason that brought me to open this thread).
Cheers
Old 20th May 2017, 09:14 AM
srakitnican Offline

linuxchrome

Well they are two separate package managers that happens to use the same packages database. Unfortunately sharing data between the two is not the best, so each will download data separately from the other, that includes information about the updates available.

Gnome Software uses PackageKit in the background.

What may have happened in this particular case is possible that dnf updates database was more recent then the one of PackageKit as they are refreshing cache in the background at different times. But eventually you should end up with same updates with both managers.

About the offline-updates; yes this is the safest way to update system, that is why Fedora is promoting it. Updating with dnf on a live system supposedly have some risk of breaking stuff, but so far haven't ran into major issues myself either and I am using dnf for everything, that includes upgrading whole release on a running system.

Tags
dnf, gnome, software, update, updates