Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 15th May 2017, 12:44 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: In your closet
Posts: 15,530
linuxfedorafirefox
About anaconda

When installing Fedora I've noticed that I can't use non-empty partitions. Anaconda doesn't list them. It seems that as far as anaconda is concerned these partitions don't even exist.

Today I was planning on installing to /dev/sda5. That partition already had Fedora installed on it. It wasn't shown as an option. I formatted the partition and reran anaconda. Now that partition is available as an install target. Is this normal behavior for anaconda?
__________________
Glenn
The Bassinator
© ®
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15th May 2017, 03:16 AM
lsatenstein Online
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal, Que, Canada
Posts: 4,022
linuxchrome
Re: About anaconda

Glenn, I think you are doing something wrong. What you are trying to do I do regularly. After you choose your disk(s), choose I will do my own partitioning. Anaconda will show you every partition on the target disks. You consider reformat, overwrite or even split/merge adjacent ones.

As I have become a frequent reinstaller of Linux I find Anaconda to be a great tool. When I choose to install across two disks, it even gives me the choice of boot drive.

Try Anaconda again, to stop before the commit. I used that feature to gain intamacy with Anaconda's working​s.
__________________
Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15th May 2017, 08:52 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: In your closet
Posts: 15,530
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: About anaconda

Hi Leslie. Thank you for you interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
Glenn, I think you are doing something wrong.
I thought I might be missing something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
What you are trying to do I do regularly.
As do I. I've done hundreds of installs using anaconda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
After you choose your disk(s), choose I will do my own partitioning.
I usually do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
Anaconda will show you every partition on the target disks.
It doesn't. This is the issue.

Thanks again for your attention.
__________________
Glenn
The Bassinator
© ®
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15th May 2017, 09:00 AM
antikythera Offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,307
linuxchrome
Re: About anaconda

Are the 'hidden' partitions contained in an LVM or standard partition layout? encrypted or otherwise? just wondering if that makes any difference.

Also, I tend to format cleared and/or alter partitions using GParted before letting anaconda loose as I don't trust it with partitioning tasks. I then just use anaconda custom partition option to set mount points and format only the compulsory format moint point volumes.
__________________
Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population - Stephen Hawking
Download, Install and Share Fedora
- Official ISO Torrents
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15th May 2017, 09:36 AM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: In your closet
Posts: 15,530
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: About anaconda

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
Are the 'hidden' partitions contained in an LVM or standard partition layout? encrypted or otherwise? just wondering if that makes any difference.

Also, I tend to format cleared and/or alter partitions using GParted before letting anaconda loose as I don't trust it with partitioning tasks. I then just use anaconda custom partition option to set mount points and format only the compulsory format moint point volumes.
Standard partition layout. The laptop has Win10 installed and that uses partitions 1,2 and 3. Partition 4 is extended. That contains partitions 5-13. 5 was the target.

Installation of Fedora 26 was successful only after formatting partition 5.
__________________
Glenn
The Bassinator
© ®
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15th May 2017, 12:25 PM
smr54 Online
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,043
linuxfirefox
Re: About anaconda

Since F25, I have found that Ananconda wouldn't recognize Linux partitions on a machine that had had UFS partitions such as Free or OpenBSD installed.
The workaround, if you don't need anything on the partition, is to boot from a FreeBSD USB, and run newfs on the partition. Then anaconda will see it.

As this seemed to be an edge case, and the developers couldn't reproduce it, on the bug I filed, I said nevermind. Did you ever install FreeBSD on this machine?

At any rate, once running newfs on the partition, if you click the arrow by Unknown, or whatever it says, it should show the partition.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1372919

In my case, even formatting the partition as an empty ext4 one didn't work--I could only get Anaconda to see it if I ran newfs, the FreeBSD command. Have you ever, out of curiosity, had a BSD installed on this machine?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15th May 2017, 07:56 PM
lsatenstein Online
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal, Que, Canada
Posts: 4,022
linuxfedorafirefox
Re: About anaconda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
Hi Leslie. Thank you for you interest.

I thought I might be missing something. As do I. I've done hundreds of installs using anaconda.I usually do.It doesn't. This is the issue.

Thanks again for your attention.
Hi Glenn

I am using either ext4 or xfs for my partitions. I statically assigned each one. When I reinstall, I preserve /home and reformat the others.

On my 6 drives, there are no hidden partitions. Everything is visable. I have F25 and F26 installed on the drives. Sorry to write to low a level to you, it was not intended as a bad gesture. I am a nerd. One question. Is any drive an SSD? Could that space be a SSD reserved area?

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Since F25, I have found that Ananconda wouldn't recognize Linux partitions on a machine that had had UFS partitions such as Free or OpenBSD installed.
The workaround, if you don't need anything on the partition, is to boot from a FreeBSD USB, and run newfs on the partition. Then anaconda will see it.

As this seemed to be an edge case, and the developers couldn't reproduce it, on the bug I filed, I said nevermind. Did you ever install FreeBSD on this machine?

At any rate, once running newfs on the partition, if you click the arrow by Unknown, or whatever it says, it should show the partition.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1372919

In my case, even formatting the partition as an empty ext4 one didn't work--I could only get Anaconda to see it if I ran newfs, the FreeBSD command. Have you ever, out of curiosity, had a BSD installed on this machine?
My simple way to solve the aforementioned problem is with dd

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/the target partition , Count =100

With dd, I even recovered disks that "Windoz10" acted upon to falsely mark the drive as defective.
__________________
Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anaconda

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot find anaconda-runtime in /usr/lib/anaconda-runtime lucadiote Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 10 26th April 2016 02:17 PM
Anaconda & old LVM cantanima Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 0 17th March 2013 04:44 PM
rm anaconda-ks.cfg !!! troyatlarge Using Fedora 6 3rd September 2009 09:13 PM
Anaconda? Obsidian@Fedora Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 3 16th July 2009 09:20 PM
Re-run Anaconda OldJohnB Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 3 22nd December 2007 09:15 AM


Current GMT-time: 22:36 (Wednesday, 28-06-2017)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat