Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th May 2017, 07:32 PM
netniru56 Offline

windows_7firefox
Returning user – is overheating still a problem?

Greetings.

I stopped using Linux a few years ago due to the overheating problems that plagued kernels above 2.6. Power management suddenly went MIA and users were left to fend for themselves. My laptop kept overheating. I tried many “fixes” which were offered online but none of them worked. Eventually I decided that my time was too expensive and dropped Linux all together.

I am considering running Linux again but wondering if overheating is still an issue. FYI, I would install Linux on an Intel I5 based PC.

Thanks for your input.
Old 11th May 2017, 01:49 AM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Returning user – is overheating still a problem?

I remember those days. But I haven't had any issues with over heating with my last three laptops. All were Intel based, so someone else can weigh it on AMD based laptops.

dd_wizard
Old 11th May 2017, 01:54 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Heat might be a problem on laptops with Optimus where Linux is not setup to disable the unused hardware. I'm still waiting for the Optimus to be fixed out of the box and not requiring absurd amounts of fiddling with code.
Old 11th May 2017, 08:14 AM
antikythera Online
Administrator

linuxchrome

Overheating doesn't seem to affect any of my machines even with boinc running for hours so I'd say it's fixed depending on the way the OEM builds the hardware. There can be no answer for all machines so they only way you will ever discover if your hardware will overheat or not is to try the live ISO for a day and see what happens.
| Live ISO Respins containing post-release updates
Old 12th May 2017, 10:43 PM
srakitnican Online

linuxchrome

That is a specific case which largely depends on hardware used. If drivers for a device are not implemented fully there is a good chance device will not work efficiently or in another words, will require more work for the same effect. That will never be resolved as there will always be something that is not supported very well, but in most cases it should work reasonably well.

The most problematic ones are, and probably the one you've experienced, are GPU drivers. Intel provides very good support if not excellent since it have many of its people working directly on Linux open source drivers. The problematic ones are the closed source drivers since support is dependent solely on manufacturer to provide one, which is not always the best experience.
Old 13th May 2017, 07:57 AM
bobx001 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Just make sure you disable SELinux after install, and remove packages: tracker , baloo_file
Old 13th May 2017, 08:22 AM
antikythera Online
Administrator

linuxchrome

disable SELinux? not everybody should do or need to do that. Instead if an application won't work and comes from a trusted source you can create an exception rule.
Old 13th May 2017, 03:27 PM
flyingdutchman Online

macosfirefox

I haven't had power control issues in years.
Old 14th May 2017, 09:17 AM
antikythera Online
Administrator

linuxchrome

me either, however enabling powertop as a system service using their generic optimise all settings profile does increase battery life and reduce the internal temperature of my notebook a little further without crippling any devices I use.
Old 14th May 2017, 06:03 PM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
me either, however enabling powertop as a system service using their generic optimise all settings profile does increase battery life and reduce the internal temperature of my notebook a little further without crippling any devices I use.
however doing that is moderately tedious, unless I'm doing it wrong, you have to run
Code:
powertop --calibrate --html=powertop.html
then manually strip out the "echo" section to a file to run as a service (I just put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local). I"d really like them to have a script only output so they just dump the script commands to a file without the csv or html junk.
Maybe something like
Code:
powertop --calibrate --script=powertop.out
Old 14th May 2017, 06:23 PM
antikythera Online
Administrator

linuxchrome

That does seem tedious. Here's what I do

Quote:
The powertop package also provides a service that automatically sets all tunables to “Good” for optimal power saving. To use it, run this command:

Code:
sudo systemctl start powertop.service
If you’d like the service to run automatically when you boot, run this command:

Code:
sudo systemctl enable powertop.service
Caveat about this service and tunables: Certain tunables may risk your data, or (on some odd hardware) may cause your system to behave erratically. For instance, the “VM writeback timeout” setting affects how long the system waits before writing changed data to storage. This means a power saving setting trades off data security. If the system loses all power for some reason, you could lose up to 15 seconds’ of changed data, rather than the default 5. However, for most laptop users this isn’t an issue, since your system should warn you about low battery.
https://fedoramagazine.org/saving-la...with-powertop/

Tags
overheating, problem, returning, user