Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th May 2017, 04:18 PM
bluezImage Offline

linuxchrome
opinions/advise on new Dell XPS15 w/Fedora 25

Hello,

I am a long time Fedora user who is in the market for a new developer laptop. As usual I prefer to roll my own, using Fedora as my primary O/S.

I have my eye on a new Dell XPS 15 configured w/:
  • Intel i7-7700HQ,
    16/32GB DDR-2400MHz memory
    4K ultra HD display,
    512GB solid state drive
    NVIDIA GTX 1050

I would like to run this machine exclusively as a Fedora workstation (no more dual boot for me), with Gnome front end.

My primary concern right now is the dedicated graphics card and installation of the proprietary drivers. I want the NVIDIA card option primarily to do GPU programming, but the siren call (marketing hype?) of 4K display is enticing too. It appears from searching this forum and other sources that the drivers can be installed and operated reliably. But I would like reassurance before I make a purchase.

Can anyone offer some advise on whether this machine configuration would make a good, fully functional and reliable Fedora (25) workstation? If you have configured this or a similar machine as a Fedora W/S I would welcome your advise/expertise.

Many Thanks.
Old 8th May 2017, 05:31 PM
GraySplatter Offline

macoschrome
Re: opinions/advise on new Dell XPS15 w/Fedora 25

You didn't state the exact model number. There are many XPS 15 laptops.

I'm running Fedora 25 on a new Precision M 5520 which is also sold as an XPS 15 model configured basically that way (except I opted for standard integrated graphics.) I had annoying MCEs being logged continually until I finally learned how to upgrade the firmware. Now the issues have gone away. The keyboard had some hard clicking keys on it as well, but a Dell technician came out next day, replaced it, and now it's awesome. (This is exactly why you get the upgraded support.)

I use it as my primary dev machine and I love it.

I've been running Fedora on Dell laptops since 2009. I've never had a problem that couldn't be resolved with a bit of browsing.
Old 8th May 2017, 05:41 PM
GraySplatter Offline

macoschrome

I clicked submit a hair too early.

My previous Dell had an nVidia card as well. Using Bumblebee and Primus for switching back and forth worked well. That does lock you in to using the drivers provided by them rather than directly from the nVidia site, but I never found that to be an issue. I did some minimal CUDA programming with the provided driver and it worked as expected. And if you want to run with the nVidia card all the time at the expense of battery runtime, you don't have to install Bumblebee.

I've read somewhere (can't find it quickly) that the 4k display can actually impact the performance of the machine due to the higher energy use. But unless you're running 2 machines side by side, I seriously doubt you would notice.
Old 13th May 2017, 01:38 AM
ugolandini Offline

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySplatter View Post
You didn't state the exact model number. There are many XPS 15 laptops.

I'm running Fedora 25 on a new Precision M 5520 which is also sold as an XPS 15 model configured basically that way (except I opted for standard integrated graphics.) I had annoying MCEs being logged continually until I finally learned how to upgrade the firmware. Now the issues have gone away. The keyboard had some hard clicking keys on it as well, but a Dell technician came out next day, replaced it, and now it's awesome. (This is exactly why you get the upgraded support.)

I use it as my primary dev machine and I love it.

I've been running Fedora on Dell laptops since 2009. I've never had a problem that couldn't be resolved with a bit of browsing.
Hi,
I have a brand new m5520 and while it appears to works well with Ubuntu 17, I can't make it work with Fedora 25. Sometimes it hangs during the installation, sometimes it installs almost correctly (though complaining about bootvm crashing) but then freezes after some time. How do you upgrade the firmware without windows? I have found this https://secure-lvfs.rhcloud.com/ but it doesn't appear to work...

UPDATE: I found the correct https://secure-lvfs.rhcloud.com/lvfs/devicelist , downloaded and updated the firmware to latest 1.2.4. Unfortunately it still freezes after updating, apparently always after installing nfs-utils, with a strange selinux CVA error. Text-only terminals still work, so I'll have a look today at the logs to understand what's going on

UPDATE2: I disabled nouveau with these steps and now fedora 25 boots again:

> echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

appended ‘rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau’ to end of ‘GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”…”

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rhgb quiet rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau"

> grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

> dnf remove xorg-x11-drv-nouveau{version-here}

Regenerated initramfs:

> mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
> dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

Last edited by ugolandini; 13th May 2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: update 2

Tags
dell, opinions or advise, w or fedora, xps15