Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th May 2017, 03:46 AM
AnonVendetta Offline

windows_98_nt_2000chrome
Touchpad and USB mouse not working in Fedora Workstation Live boot

So.....I recently bought a Sager NP9876 from XoticPC.com (gaming laptop/desktop replacement). It runs Windows 10 great, no issues there. So I partitioned the SSD to make room for Fedora. For now I'm trying to use the regular Workstation edition, since my hardware is way more than capable of running it.

But.....I ran into a problem:

Regardless of whether I boot the live medium in UEFI or legacy/CSM/MBR mode, it gets to the desktop, where I'm greeted with the install or try live use prompt. But then I noticed that my touchpad doesn't work. So I plug in a corded Logitech USB mouse. Neither works. All my USB ports are either 3.0 or 3.1 (not sure which), no 2.0s present. In the rare event that either does work, it moves very jerkily and slowly. So basically, inoperable. But for the most part the cursor just sits in the upper left corner and wont move at all. In Windows 10 a Synaptics driver powers the touchpad, overall I'm very happy with the feel of the touchpad and keyboard.

So I have no way of installing or testing out functionality, as I see it now. What could be causing this? Is there a GRUB2 command line option I can try during boot?

This laptop also has an NVIDIA GTX 1080 with 8GB VRAM. Does this normally present an issue with Fedora, since I want to be able to use its' raw, unadulterated power? I ask because I also tried to boot an Antergos live USB (based on Arch), but no matter which option I tried in the GRUB2 (regular, NVIDIA fallback, or command line only), it wouldn't go. Regular booted to a flashing screen, fallback just resulted in a black screen, command line only worked but I can't install from there.

As it stands now, I'm either going to be choosing between Fedora or Antergos. But I prefer Fedora on the last laptop I had. I will use whatever works best and is able to make the fullest use of my hardware components.

Thanks again!

V For Vendetta
Old 9th May 2017, 08:56 AM
AnonVendetta Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Touchpad and USB mouse not working in Fedora Workstation Live boot

I made more progress by adding "nouveau.modeset=0" to the right of "quiet" (no quotes) in the GRUB2 parameters. Now I can boot to the desktop and the mouse works (both touchpad and USB mouse). But everything looks really ugly and the live OS isn't using the max resolution of my monitor. So the mouse issue would appear to be related to either nouveau, NVIDIA, or both. But which one?

I'm assuming that once I get the OS installed I only need to install the NVIDIA drivers from RPMFusion and I'm set? Will I still need to keep using the custom GRUB2 parameters?

Thanks!

V For Vendetta
Old 10th May 2017, 12:36 AM
AnonVendetta Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Touchpad and USB mouse not working in Fedora Workstation Live boot

I got everything working fully. I had to boot the live OS with the GRUB2 parameter listed above. Then I installed it, and kept using the same parameter for every boot. Afterwards I updated the OS and then installed the driver from the Negativo17 repo. After rebooting I didn't need to manually enter parameters and everything appears to work 100%

So, topic solved, unless anyone has some input/advice/etc.

V For Vendetta

Tags
boot, fedora, live, mouse, touchpad, usb, working, workstation