Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th April 2017, 12:31 AM
JCMateri Offline

linuxfirefox
Edit Networking on MATE desktop

I am running a local caching name server on a computer with the MATE desktop on F25. The problem is the NetworkManager overwrites /etc/resolv.conf on startup. My current solution is to edit resolv.conf so that the system will use the local dns server. If I never had to reboot then there would not be a problem. However at each restart I have to re-edit resolv.conf.

In gnome it is easy to make the modification using the settings tool. BUT there is no such tool in MATE of which I am aware.

Any ideas?
Old 26th April 2017, 12:19 PM
HaydnH Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: Edit Networking on MATE desktop

Network Manager controls resolv.conf, so if you want to change nameservers you need to do it using Network Manager, not in resolv.conf directly (doesn't it say that inside the file?).

Alternatively stop using Network Manager and use something else, e.g: wicd, and use the files as god intended.
Old 26th April 2017, 04:43 PM
JCMateri Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Edit Networking on MATE desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydnH View Post
Network Manager controls resolv.conf, so if you want to change nameservers you need to do it using Network Manager, not in resolv.conf directly (doesn't it say that inside the file?).

Alternatively stop using Network Manager and use something else, e.g: wicd, and use the files as god intended.
I solved the problem by installing the gnome desktop and using the settings tool. That might be bit of overkill but I prefer gnome anyway.

Tags
desktop, edit, mate, networking