Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 3rd July 2016, 05:19 AM
dd_wizard Online

linuxfedorafirefox
How to test 3D acceleration in virt-manager.

Make sure you have audit >= 2.6.2-1, see Bug 1351995. It's in updates-testing at the moment. Install virt-viewer, it works much better than the virt-manager built-in viewer. Download the F24 Cinnamon spin live DVD. In virt-manager, open File > Add Connection... select "QEMU/KVM user session" for the Hypervisor. Back in the virt-manager GUI. right click on "QEMU/KVM user session" and create a new VM. Initially, create a diskless VM by connecting the CDROM device to the F24 Cinnamon iso. Boot into the live image and power it down. Follow the instructions here, shown below for my VM.
Code:
$ virt-xml --connect qemu:///session fedora-live --confirm --edit --video clearxml=yes,model=virtio,accel3d=yes

$ virt-xml --connect qemu:///session fedora-live --confirm --edit --graphics clearxml=yes,type=spice,gl=on,listen=none
Right-click your VM and run it. In a terminal, type "virt-viewer -a fedora-live" or whatever you named your VM. You should not get the software rendering warning when the VM reboots. Also, all the host selinux errors I got earlier are fixed. You know 3D accelleration is working if you see:
Code:
$ glxinfo | grep renderer
    GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer, 
    GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer, 
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on virgl

Last edited by dd_wizard; 3rd July 2016 at 05:26 AM.
Old 4th July 2016, 10:12 PM
dd_wizard Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: How to test 3D acceleration in virt-manager.

Here's an update. If you run "ip link", you should see that virt-manager has set up virbr0 for you. When you create the VM, change from user space networking to virbr0. It's much faster. Also, the 3.6 kernels do not work in the VM, so don't try to boot them. Also, selinux must be set to permissive or disabled. Using enforcing won't let the VM start.

dd_wizard
Old 4th July 2016, 10:22 PM
Dutchy Online

linuxfedorafirefox

This is great. I surely will try it out!
What OpenGL level is exposed (I guess some Mesa maximum like 4.0-4.3-ish) and what is the performance like (comparable to the host)?
I hope it will be much more stable and functional than the VirtualBox solution (it crashes nouveau and is unusable for even light gaming).
Old 5th July 2016, 07:13 PM
dd_wizard Online

linuxfedorafirefox

I see around 50 FpS on extreme tux racer with Intel HD4000 graphics. The most useful improvement is Cinnamon desktop itself, it's much smoother. As I said in my second post, there are still some selinux issues, even though I don't see any AVC denial messages.

dd_wizard
Old 7th July 2016, 01:10 AM
kajinofe Offline

windows_7chrome

Thanks for the tips!
Old 7th July 2016, 03:00 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxfedorafirefox

Stuck the thread

Thanks dd_wizard for the nice guide.

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

Tags
acceleration, test, virtmanager