Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th June 2016, 02:08 PM
zuser Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Question nextcloud or owncloud

Haven't seen any comments or conversation here about the recent nextcloud fork.
I have been running owncloud on my home server for approx 2 years and reasonably satisfied. Uses are fairly basic, eg file sharing, contacts and calendar syncing between several several computers, tablets and phones.

I have nextcloud running on a virtual Fedora 24 server and have tested as both a new install and as an owncloud drop-in replacement. Both seem to work fine in all respects.

Of course as a recent fork, there does not seem to be any significant difference yet, but it is going forward that I am wondering about. Given what I have seen online about the shutdown of owncloud here in the US and exodus of key developers, I suspect the future is with nextcloud.

Is it likely the Fedora repos will switch to nextcloud or possibly carry both nc and oc?

Any thoughts on the merits of either choice?
Old 29th June 2016, 06:55 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

windows_7firefox
Re: nextcloud or owncloud

I would say it's unlikely that Fedora carries both owncloud and nextcloud.

See the current Fedora owncloud maintainer's comment - https://help.nextcloud.com/t/will-ne...-packages/89/9

As to merits - nextcloud is far too new to comment on anything really. We will have to wait and see would be my response.

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

Tags
nextcloud, owncloud