Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th November 2013, 01:21 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox
Infinality Font setup

Thank you to Infinality for great fonts. Not sure if it is my hardware or Fedora default fonts, but I was having trouble reading pdf's and even this sight - Fedora Forum.

Not anymore I followed hadrons123 - Infinality setup guide and all is well with Infinality Fonts.

1. su
  2. rpm -Uvh http://www.infinality.net/fedora/lin...0-1.noarch.rpm
  3. yum install fontconfig-infinality freetype-infinality
  4. reboot
Thanks again, big difference and much appreciated
Old 12th November 2013, 01:51 PM
joncr Offline

macossafari
Re: Infinality Font setup

Yep, makes all the difference in the world. Only thing I'd wish for is a GUI to tweak and preview adjustments. Few of us are familiar with the hieroglyphics of font configs.
Old 12th November 2013, 03:52 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxfirefox

Oh yeah - this particularly makes a big difference in XFCE, at least, in my eyes!

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 12th November 2013, 03:55 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

infinality does give pretty good comments on how to tweak things to your liking. Better than a lot of other applications. Actually explains in detail what each setting does, etc... He also provides a number of "presets" you can choose from as well.

Look in your /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh and you will see what I mean. (presets are set down close to the end of the file)
Old 12th November 2013, 04:21 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncr View Post
Only thing I'd wish for is a GUI to tweak and preview adjustments. Few of us are familiar with the hieroglyphics of font configs.
For a perpetual noob like myself, that would be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
infinality does give pretty good comments on how to tweak things to your liking. Better than a lot of other applications. Actually explains in detail what each setting does, etc... He also provides a number of "presets" you can choose from as well.

Look in your /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh and you will see what I mean. (presets are set down close to the end of the file)
Of course, if I go messing around in there, probably would be trouble. The choice of Presets, is nice; and the information is fairly straight forward.

Think I'll play it safe, as I am enjoying the default settings of Infinality

Update: Thanks Dan for the info on Infinality - checking out the Presets, very easy to do

Last edited by BBQdave; 12th November 2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Checking out Infinality Presets
Old 5th April 2016, 06:27 AM
Eric F Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncr View Post
Yep, makes all the difference in the world. Only thing I'd wish for is a GUI to tweak and preview adjustments. Few of us are familiar with the hieroglyphics of font configs.
Sorry to bump an old thread... But I saw a post/review of “Infinality Style Changer”.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Deskt...r-102885.shtml

Looks simple and great. It's just a bash script and a desktop file, so it wouldn't be too hard to update, if needed.

It's also at gnomefiles.org and gtk-apps.org

It would be great if this one was to download in a repo.

- - -

A question about Infinality...

It looks great, but the font substitutes are ...somewhat annoying.

I haven't looked into it that much yet, but if I set change the preset to “ms” (free, ms, custom) - would that stop the substitution? I like the free fonts, I do, and I use them rather than the MS fonts - just that I want/need to chose myself when and where.
Old 7th April 2016, 01:23 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

Is the infinality website still working?

On a related note, try google-droid-fonts in place of infinality. Also, for monospace fonts, try google roboto fonts.

Old 7th April 2016, 01:56 AM
Eric F Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
Is the infinality website still working?

On a related note, try google-droid-fonts in place of infinality. Also, for monospace fonts, try google roboto fonts.
Thanks for the reply… Well, the site it's still around, but the development is here now:
- Infinality bundle & fonts | bohoomil.com
- https://github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate

For Fedora I found this one:: Infinality Ultimate Bundle packaged for Fedora 23 and 24 – Daniel Renninghoff

It is the font-replacement I want to get rid off - the automation of it.
Old 7th April 2016, 02:55 AM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

Ah! All is well then. Looks like this was a human error in navigating to the site.

Thanks for the other links ... Those I had no idea about. Very useful!

Old 12th April 2016, 11:42 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Here's what the forum fonts look like with the Infinality Bundle from Daniel Renninghoff.

That was made with the default minimum font size in Firefox, which is none. Comparing them to the 9 point font I use in gnome-terminal, I'm guessing they're 8 point at the largest.

dd_wizard

Last edited by dd_wizard; 13th April 2016 at 12:22 AM.
Old 14th April 2016, 05:22 AM
Eric F Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
Ah! All is well then. Looks like this was a human error in navigating to the site.

Thanks for the other links ... Those I had no idea about. Very useful!
Yes, the index page on the old Infinality website just redirects to /blog/, which is a no-go. But the other pages and the forums are still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd_wizard View Post
Here's what the forum fonts look like with the Infinality Bundle from Daniel Renninghoff.

That was made with the default minimum font size in Firefox, which is none. Comparing them to the 9 point font I use in gnome-terminal, I'm guessing they're 8 point at the largest.

dd_wizard
Looks great. The webinspector in FF says 11px and looks like they're about same size. I have “9” as minimum, in FF.

- - -

I saw this link: Support Fedora repo again · Issue #70 · bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate

Perhaps not so related to the other one, but seems good to keep as good reading/resource. It's still open, so hopefully they (Bohoomil and Renninghoff) can join efforts and make an “official” version of it. :crossfingers:

Tags
font, infinality, setup