Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd August 2013, 04:07 PM
mjrice Offline

linuxchrome
Where are Gimp's tool windows?

I modified some photos earlier with the Gimp. All the usual windows were present. Then I closed the app. When I reopened the Gimp later to continue, the only window that opened was the one that holds the image? Where did the other windows go? How can I easily restore them. And, how do I keep this from happening again?

Michael
Old 23rd August 2013, 05:07 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Retired Adminstrator

linuxfirefox
Re: Where are Gimp's tool windows?

Check the Windows menu, in particular the “Hide Docks” and “Recently Closed Docks” options.

If it’s lost the dock windows’ layouts, you can rebuild them manually by opening individual docks and dragging them into the appropriate windows, but that’s a pain. It might be easier to delete your ~/.gimp-2.8 so that on the next run GIMP will recreate it with the defaults.

Also check out single-window mode on the Window menu if the docks get irritating.

EDIT: Moved to the imaging software section as this is applicable on all GIMP-supported platforms.
Old 23rd August 2013, 05:22 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I have accidentally clicked the "hide docks" box before and sat there wondering what the heck happened I switch between the dock layout and single window layout depending upon what I am doing, and that hide docks box is right there where I can accidentally click it instead of the single window box.
Old 23rd August 2013, 05:53 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxfedorafirefox

Also, if you accidentally close the tool box, the default keyboard shortcut is CTRL+B which I have reaslized is at times quite convenient. Of course, the best option, if you have a large enough monitor, is to use single window mode (not suitable for a laptop).

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 23rd August 2013, 05:57 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Retired Adminstrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
I have accidentally clicked the "hide docks" box before and sat there wondering what the heck happened I switch between the dock layout and single window layout depending upon what I am doing, and that hide docks box is right there where I can accidentally click it instead of the single window box.
It’s also bound to the Tab key, for extra easy accidental activation…
Old 23rd August 2013, 06:02 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I have also "lost" my dock windows when I clicked the "X" in the upper corner of the dock window. I did that once a long time ago thinking I needed to close all of those windows before I closed gimp.
Old 23rd August 2013, 06:39 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Mithrandir

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Jones View Post
It’s also bound to the Tab key, for extra easy accidental activation…
And of course, tab doesn't bring back the closed window. It only toggles windows. Very complicated!

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation
Old 24th August 2013, 01:48 AM
mjrice Offline

windows_7chrome

Thank, all. Will try out your suggestions and repost if I need additional help. Most likely I accidentally clicked something that I shouldn't have.

Sorry about the tardy response. The day got waaaay ahead of me.

Michael
Old 19th March 2016, 02:17 PM
Vishu Offline

windows_7chrome

i am also faceing the same problem can anyone help ?

Last edited by Vishu; 25th March 2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 19th March 2016, 02:49 PM
mjrice Offline

linuxfedorachrome

Do you have the "Toolbox"?

If not, you can get it with menu Tools|NewToolbox.

When you quit Gimp, ONLY use menu File|Quit in the window titled "GNU Image Manipulation Program." It will close all the other windows, but those windows will reappear next time you open Gimp.

Michael
Old 19th March 2016, 04:20 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

I have noticed in the last several F23 installs that when the GIMP initially starts up, the toolbox starts as expected on the left of the working screen, but the layers box tends to start almost off the right edge of the screen. It's far enough over there to be hard to see, so try moving your mouse completely to the right screen edge, click and hold the left mouse button, press the [ALT] key, and drag gthe mouse back to the middle of the screen. That should have fetched the layers toolbox back where you can see it.
Old 19th March 2016, 10:14 PM
JONOR Offline

linuxfedorachrome

One of the reasons i switched to Single-Window mode was that while in the overview of Gnome DE,
it is possible for the different parts of Gimp to get separated when reorganizing workspaces.
I partly put this down to minimized windows of a workspace not being shown in the overview.

Last edited by JONOR; 12th May 2016 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 19th March 2016, 10:21 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Okay. Seems like a solid tactical solution, to be certain, and one I have used. That being said, my strategic and tactical solution was and is:

Code:

$ dnf install e16

Then I get to decide what gets put where, and whether or not groups can be separated, which child windows are allowed to disappear with the parent when minimized, and how the entire group behaves.

Plus, a simple, [ALT]+[TAB] allows me to cycle through all active applications to snap to whatever I want.

Gotta love that "old" technology.

<....>

Tags
gimp, tool, windows