I have my FC11 system set up to automatically download and install updates.
I had to reboot yesterday because of one of these updates. It seems that this update messed up grub. When I rebooted I only got the flickering cursor.
So far I have tried the following using the rescue disk and executing chroot /mnt/sysimage
fdisk -l gives me this result :
I have /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc
Boot flag is with /dev/sda1 which also has FIlesystem Linux, where the other I notice have filesystem Linux LVM (don't know if that is relevant).
I tried to restore grub.
> find /grub/grub.conf
> root (hd0,0)
Filesystem type is ext2fs partition type 0x83
> setup (hd0)
and there were no error messages.
However, no change when rebooting.
The device map says that
hd0 = /dev/sda
I also did a grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
All to no avail.
The following struck me as strange, but not sure how relevant :
- In grub, "find /boot/grub/grub.conf" gave me "file not found"; however, with ls I do see a /boot/grub/grub.conf and also a /etc/grub.conf
- This grub.conf file says that boot=/dev/sdc (where the boot flag is with /dev/sda) and all references are to (hd2,0) whereas the "find /grub/grub.conf" always gives me "(hd0,0)" as said above.
- There seems to be no /grub/grub.conf file on my system except under the /boot directory
- I have also tried resetting the boot flag to /dev/sdc with fdisk, but that did not help either.
- originally, I did set the system up on /dev/sdc by the way
Am just trying to guess now what other combinations I could try. I already tried in BIOS to boot from all the different devices. No luck.