Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th October 2009, 09:00 PM
wt6g Offline

linuxfedoramozilla
Limiting OUTBOUND TCP Connections to single IP

I'm having a problem that seems to plague a lot of people judging from my research on the web. I have a hosting provider that limits the number of incoming connections to the shared host to 50 per IP.

I have a single IP for outbound connections and I use Squid as a proxy server.

Lately I've tripped across the 50 connection limit frequently - and that's with only 1 user. It seems the problem is related to the performance you can get out of a desktop these days. Its not impossible to have several browsers open with several connections to different sites on the same server - and boom - locked out!

So it occurred to me that there must be some way to limit the number of outbound connections in the kernel - but I've not found it. I did find that Microsoft had been limiting the number of outbound connections in XP to 10 to address the virus problem, and I've found countless hosting complaints and dialog on the subject with no easy solution.

So my question is simply, does anyone know how to limit the number of OUTBOUND connections to a single IP in the kernel?

Len
Old 19th October 2009, 10:02 PM
tho.mei Offline

Location: St. Gallen Switzerland or Christchurch, New Zealand
linuxfedorafirefox
Hallo wt6g

see:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ctions-346579/
Using LINUX to do some scientific 3D-stuff.
I'm RHCT
Old 19th October 2009, 11:11 PM
wt6g Offline

linuxfedoramozilla
Hi tho.mei,

Thanks for the response. I actually want to do something exactly the opposite. I want to prevent my workstation from ORIGINATING not more than 50 tcp connections to a single IP.

I'm involved in a long discussion right now with Site5 over this, and that would be one way to stop the problem. Of course if I can do it with my workstation, then I can do it on my squid proxy server, and then I can be sure that I don't violate their rules.

/Len

Tags
connections, limiting, outbound, single, tcp